NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS SEASON I BOUGHT A $49 EMPIRE PASS SO I HAD UNLIMITED USE TO THE PARKING FIELDS AND A $39 4-WHEEL DRIVE PERMIT TO FISH ON THE BEACH.ARE BOTH OF THESE NECESSARY OR IS THERE CHEAPER WAY.FRIEND OF MINE GOT INTO CAPTREE WITH THE 4-WHEEL PERMIT.THERE USE TO BE A $15 FISHING PERMIT.IT SEEMS THE PEOPLE AT THE OFFICES DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE DIFFERENT FISHING PERMITS.ALSO IS THERE ANY FURTHER WORD ON MAKING WEST END #2 BEACH ACCESSIBLE BY 4-WHEEL VEHICLES? THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
You need (unless you want to pay each visit) the empire pass to access the state parks and parking lots. You need the 4 wheel drive pass to drive on the state beaches(the empire pass is not necessary to drive on the beach). You need the night fishing permit to be able to park in the state beach parking lots after dark (but it doesn't let you drive on the beach).

Your buddy should not have been able to get into Captree with just his beach permit. I know that, at Captree at least, they let military, firemen and policemen in free of charge. They just have to display their stickers. Maybe your buddy has one of these stickers. (I have experienced this first hand. A buddy is a NYC fireman and my brother was a Coastie.)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I disagree Doughboy. It depends on the time of the year, time of day and the persons at the booth.

In the summer I've had no problem getting into Captree in the evenings with just the 4x4 permit. In the fall at Montauk during the day I haven't had a problem getting into the lot on the permit.

During the middle of summer beach season you are more likely to have a to pay. And you can always find someone who's a hard-nose about it.

BTW, if you get the 4x4 permit you do not also need the night fishing permit. The 4x4 permit gives you the same access/parking as the night fishing permit as well as 4x4 access.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Jaiem,

I don't see much of a disagreement. They stop charging in the evenings at the state parks and they would let you in with a 4X4 permit or no permit for that matter. They also only operate the booths on a seasonal basis. So one could go in free of charge anytime in early spring or fall. And, yes the 4X4 permit includes the night fishing permit, that might get you in also in the evenings. I was saying that as a rule someone should not get access with only the 4X4 permit during the hours and season that the booths are open. I am sure that some get away with it, just don't count on it. The seasonal employees, earning peanuts and bored out of their minds, in those booths probably don't care too much either way.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The way I understand it is---between Memorial Day and Labor Day, unless you have the Empire Passport, you have to pay to park at any state park when the fee booths are open, regardless of whether you have the 4x4 or Night Fishing pass. Since the state begins collecting fees right about May 1 and doesn't stop until Columbus Day or later, on weekends, they are supposed to allow you to enter free with the respective passes in the spring and fall when the booths are open.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
In Montuak st park they told me no parking during the day until after labor day with the nys 4wd permit, than when you throw in "ok sorry I just wanted the rest room" they always say go ahead

·
Registered
90 Posts
From my observations, the rule is, go wherever you want, do whatever you want to do, just don't get caught.

Seriously, during Summer I know Captree will let you in the parking lot temporarily to buy something at the bait shop and the State Park beaches sometimes to check the surf if you show your permit. A 4x4 or night fishing permit will not get you into any Sate Park to park during daylight hours (Sunken Meadow is ok after 6PM). You need an Empire State pass or pay cash.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well---from what I read in that other magazine tonight---it'll all be academic next year. You'll have to pay to park in the off-season even with the permits.

So---just fish nights ;)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts

·
Registered
11,637 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'll probably wait until my permanent registration card comes from Albany---I'm too lazy to tear the temporary one from the windshield and re-tape it after I get the permit :)

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I went for the permit yesterday, and they are not available, but they will let you purchase it and they will mail it to you when they come in.

Also the ranger at the desk said that we2 access should come in the near future.

Matt

·
Registered
11 Posts
went to get my 4-wheel permit but they had none in their possesion. they let me purchase it and said they would send it to me in the mail . i wanted to chech out the sore thumb and they told me there was no access as of yet.:]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.