NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Kevin. I have fished for bass on a friends boat but always forgot to look at the rod and reel and ask him about the test on the rod. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of rod, reel and line would be good for bucktailing the race and the gut during the day

Kevin

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Nivekelly wrote:
?I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of rod, reel and line would be good for bucktailing the race and the gut during the day

Hello Kevin,

The Gut and Race is a very popular fishing spot but it has one of the toughest rips/currents of our North East Coast! You are going to need a stout rod to pull the fish out of it?s deep as soon as possible. You will need a heavy 5 1/2?-7?rod that is capable of handling anywhere from 10-20 ounce sinker tipped with a three way swivel and a bucktail or eel. A reel to match will need a minimal of 400 yards of 30-40lbs. test line.

Good Fishing!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Using brided line makes a huge difference in the gut and race due to depth and strength of tide. 1) The lo diameter makes it easier to hold without a ridiculous amount off lead--I hate fishing with more than 12 oz.
2) Less stretch allows for better bottom feel and quicker hook ups. The gut is notorious for hang-ups yet you have to fish close to the bottom. Less stretch also results in better hook ups in deeper water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.