NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking forward to a couple projects this winter. It has to be able to be able to swing a decent blue and it would be nice if it can swing a just keeper bass when the gaff is slow in coming. The reason for a custom is that I'm hoping to build something light in weight yet tough enough to swing fish (a tricky balance that might not be possible). If this is not a possible goal then i will concentrate on other rod projects and just continue with using my factory bass/blue PB rods a Heavy action 7" Sealine X (20-60# rating) and Heavy Tsunami (30-40#). I think that 7 foot is just about perfect to allow me to keep my line away from the hull when a fish dives under the boat and yet not too long that it's hard to cast it when it's crowded or on a lower boat like the Flamingo. I do not intend on dropping the rod on the deck.....I put my rod in the holder while taking off fish or hold onto it with one hand. I do not like all fiberglass rods...I'm thinking composite would be best. I wish I knew the blank that the mate who always fishes on the Brooklyn (real tall guy) uses. It's extremely light (all graphite?) and I've seen many decent fish swung with it. Also, I don't want something too stiff since my Tsunami XH (40-50#) broomstick was a bust with too many bass dropped. I had to set the drag real loose. These are the rods that I'm considering and i'm looking for more or better ideas.
1) Calstar GFGR-700M, GFGR-800M (probably cut....I wish I knew their weight
2) Seeker "Seeker Jig Style Rod Blanks" composite CJB70, CJB70H, JB70....I have no idea which one since there are so many options ("jig", "jig and heavy bait"??)
http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Seeker/Jig-Style
3) GUSA B80MONSTER MAG, B70Monster Mag....they say they're suppose to be tough and resistant to crushing w/ dual helix pli construction, but still 100% graphite

---It would be great if it'll also do double duty for bottom fishing or local cod.

This post edited by chinookhead 07:59 PM 01/23/2008

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Lamiglass CGBT841m would work well.The gusas are great and i own a few but I would go with a composite,as all it takes is a split second wrong move to snap any 100% graphite blank when swinging gorrila blues over.Swinging bigger fish with graphites can be real dangerous.Just my 2 cents,good luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Graphiter 800M with a 6" cut off the butt. Or left as is.

I would really think hard about that 7' length limit you have imposed on yourself. If you like to fish the bow, then an underhand cast with a longer rod will put on fish first or get you one more long-range cast before the Capt blows the horn for a boat repositioning. hey, every little bit of advantage is a plus.

Also a longer rod will hold your line out away from the other folks sticks and help keep a larger fish from diving under the boat at the last moment.

I too would recommend staying away from straight graphite for this application. though I hear those G-USA blanks are pretty tough, I KNOW the Calstar Grafighers are pretty much BULLETPROOF - from my own abuse of an 700L and 700ML.

Great blanks, built right.

best, Lep

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Ok, so I sound like a broken record. Lamiglas CGBT 84 1MH, for me. The store bought is the Lamiglas BL 7040. I put a Newell 332 or 338 on it and it feels light in my hands but fishes like a big rod. The tip is so sensitive. Flip 4 oz jigs or swing 10# blues, a piece of cake.

This is also a go to for eeling, 3 way bucktailing bass at Montauk or Orient, blackfishing deep water and 20 oz sinkers is nothing, cod fishing the Andrea Doria is just in a days work.

The CGBT 84 1M, BL 7030, is also a good choice. many guys like this better than my favorite. You can't go wrong with either.

Gosh, I sound like a schill for Lamiglas.

Capt Neil

This post edited by Captneilf 11:21 PM 01/23/2008

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
less exp option

The pac bay composit XG 70 m. ml or mh I believe

will fit your bll nicely

The blank cost less than the cal stars or lamis so its not so bad if you bang it up on pb

soft tip big middle a true fast taper rod

Good luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Calstar vs Lami?

First off, thanks everyone for the ideas. It looks like I'm debating betweenthe Calstar 800m and the lami CGBT 84 1MH (7040 factory). The Pac bay blank sounds too heavy b/c I'm buildinga custom to have a light and durable rod....it weighs 9.6oz compared to the Lamis 7 3/8. Does anyone know how much the Calstar GF800M weighs? I'm heavily thinking about keeping it at 8 foot. I toss mainly 6oz diamond jigs for bass and blues......only 4oz if i run out and have to buy the boat jigs. Will the Calstar double as a local cod jigging rod and handle 8-120z jigs? Sea bass? Also, does it pretty much shut off in action at the tip even with a big fish? A "bat" works for blues, but in my experience it is not good for bass. I don't want a rod that will drop too many bass. I was surprised to see that the lami blank appears to be pretty light b/c the factory rod actually felt heavier than my 7' Heavy (20-60#) daiwa sealien x. Would it feel less heavy when built custom? I usually use my 30-40shv sealine x reels, but I now have an extra 525 mag that I figure will make a great light reel for this application with 30#, since u really don't use that much line.

This post edited by chinookhead 08:44 PM 01/24/2008

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Rodwinder and Captneilf.....how do u think the calstar compares in weight to the lami 7040.....I know that the factory one felt pretty heavy significantly heavier than my seline X Heavy 7'. Would a custom lami 7040 weigh less than the factory one? I'll also try calling calstar.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Factory BL 7040 vs the CGBT 84 1MH----the same blank is used and the weight should be the same. What you add in the way of components will determine which finished rod will weight the least/most.

This I can tell you. My demo CGBT 84 1MH with a Newell 332 or Newell 338 was a great combo. I could fish that combo all day and never got tired. That is why I keep saying that combo fished light a light weight set up. It all ballanced perfectly.

Neil

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
If you don't mind waiting, I have several GUSA Composites on the way here, which might make perfect jigging rods for Bass/Blues/Cod,Tuna. THese differe from Lami, Calstar & some of th Seekers because they have more graphite in the tip section, which makes them very fast and lively. A few guys played with teh 30-60# blank I already hae and all pretty much said the same thing. I'll let you know when it gets here in the next couple of days what I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.