NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basil just returned from North Carolina after fishing giants with Capt Mark of the Cannon Runner.
They had one giant on Saturday and two on Sunday. Fishing was good and there were 30 - 40 giants caught among the fleet.
One new guy came down to NC to fish with Capt Mark yesterday. While running to fishing ground, the new guy asked Mark whether he wanted to eat banana. Mate Eddie overheard it and ran down to the refrigerator and found bunch of banana ! Eddie immediately threw away all banana, but it was too late. There were only one giant caught among the fleet yesterday and of course, Capt Mark got skunked. :)

Basil with a nice giant.

This post edited by KILSONG 04:17 PM 01/09/2008

·
Registered
21 Posts
No bananas!!! I have also forbidden banana muffins, cakes, breads, and cereals. I'm even a little leery about banana boat suntan lotion. If its banana based, its out!!! No monkey buisness on my boat!!!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
nice kil that boat looks famliar hummm i wonder where it is and even with that big sign the still dont see it and smuggle the cursed fruit abord o well you to beleave in somthing otherwise you would have to blame a slow day fishing on a bunch of googans

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Even if it makes it on the boat.....

In the stomach of a crewmember, it can be purged

If it is simply lying around, the proper disposal and immediate offer to the fish gods can break the curse off the boat....True/Fact

Kil knows because a banana tried cursing a canyon run in the not so distant past....I believe the end result, once the banana was properly split, quartered, and thrown to the briny deep were 2, yes thats right 2, swordfish on jigs......

Moral is, get rid of the banana as soon as it is discovered in its hiding place. If that be a crew member, who just can't hurl, and is just as full of chit, throw him over:rolleyes:

This post edited by capndom 08:45 PM 01/09/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Everytime I hear a banana story it cracks me up.
Mostly everytime I fish when I'm leaving the harbor I always eat a banana because it's the easiest thing I can eat for breakfast and the fastest thing. I am serious when I tell you this guys, I very rarely get skunked or does it bring me bad luck. Maybe it's just a guy thing and the bad luck doesn't effect woman.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yea I always heard that, I still bring 'em...

To appease everyone I always tell them that once we get to the fishing grounds I will have a beer before we fish...I tell them that offsets the banana effect...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Just ask mental floss what happened when i mistakenly brought a banana on his boat. I forgot to eat it on the NJ turnpike and it was in my bag. On the way to coscob to get gas we got stuck in the mud at low tide, twice!! the channel seemed to have moved

remember Capt Denio? i will forever be known as Banana boy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Before every new charter, i give my customers the "Banana Speech". I have recently added the BananaBoat sun tan lotion to my list of banned items. I have actually had customers check their own underwear to assure me they are not wearing the old Fruit Of The Loom tag that use to have the banana on them. Its all in good fun. And most get a good laugh .

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
More banana bad luck

Early in '07 I told my father the "no bananas" rule. He had never heard of it. Anyway, he was on his boat this summer, a 30' black watch with twin diesels, cruising down the Hudson river coming back from an overnight trip to Saugerties. His wife comes up from the cabin eating a banana, he says, don't you know they are bad luck when WHAM, the starboard engine blows a transmission. The timing could not have been better (or worse). He made it back on 1 engine but is now a firm believer in the no bananas rule.

Mark

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Bananas and fishing just don't mix. I've seen a good banana completely ruin many fishing trips. It's bad karma and poor form for people to bring them on board. Just last March on a cod trip on the Viking Star one guy took out a banana in the cabin and a riot nearly broke out. Fishing sucked that day...

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fished porgy on the Angler out of Hyannis, Cape Cod today. Fishing was very good with jumbo porgies until 10:00 am when tide started to lose. So I figured it was a good time to have a breakfast and ate lamen in the cabin. When I went outside to fish again, I saw one guy holding a bag with banana and other food. But as fishing was so good and it was just a matter of time porgy resumed biting, I thought there would be no banana curse this time. But I was wrong !!! As soon as I cast, Capt announced that we were heading to the dock as we had enough fish and most guys wanted to go home early.
It was only 10:30 am. Banana curse striked again. :)

This post edited by KILSONG 08:13 PM 05/27/2008

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have heard similar stories. One was a cod trip, and only slow action all morning. He was wondering why the action was so slow, when a guy right next to him came back to the rail with a banana. The guy knocked the fruit out of his hands, and within the minute, close to everyone hooked up to steakers. After he finished telling me this story, you can guess where all our bananas went.
;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.