NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gilgoretrout wrote:
What do you think about keeping long liners 200 miles out?

The pelagic ones? Yep good idea! Longlining destroyed the swordfishing.

Leave the GF guys alone though...they are OK:)

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ocean's fish food disappearing

Ocean's fish food disappearing

CCT wrote:
CHATHAM ? In recent years, Chatham fisherman Peter Taylor noticed that the haddock he'd been catching on Georges Banks disappeared after large herring vessels, some towing nets as wide across as a football field, started targeting that area.

He said prey species like haddock move into certain areas of Georges Bank when there are large schools of spawning herring. Cape fishermen, in turn, go there to catch the haddock.
Forage fish and aquaculture

"I've never gone through a year and seen this few herring," he said. "The amount of haddock we caught in that deep water also dropped. There was no doubt in our minds that there was a correlation between herring and what we catch."

It was a lesson that made a big impression on fishermen: no food, no fish.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
loligo wrote:
SO MUCH FOR THOSE "REC" HADDOCK......EH MIKE?
I thought the fish had to be within 100 yards of the beach to count for you? Plenty of haddock around, for both commercials and recreationals, landing in both sectors are approaching record highs. I don't know where this guy was fishing or if he was even talking about this year. Two years ago it would have been an accurate statement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.