NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a question? when i do start surf casting in the spring (beach) what would be the best type of bait to use ? or a lure?. im new as you can tell , so maybe can you give me some tips, i tried eels last year but i found myself rolling them in sand and putting on gloves to get them on my line and all they do is tangle up,, please dont laugh at this, im new ..just give me a little advice thanks:)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sand worms work really well in the spring, Barb. Clams, too, but fresh is best.

Small plastic swimming plugs (Bombers, Redfins, Yozuris, and Mega baits are the ones I like) and small bucktails, or plain lead jigheads with some sort of plastic on the end. Grubs, little plastic shads, FinS or Sluggos.

Also---in the spring---you might want to have a 'teaser" on your leader ahead of any lure. That's a small single hook dressed with feathers, or maybe a saltwater fly. There are little plastic teasers called Red Gills that are usually rigged as teasers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK MIKE WORMS ARE GOOD FOR ME AND CLAMS ALSO, BUT I HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT SALTING THE CLAMS AND PUTTING RUBBER BANDS ON THEM? ANY TIPS? I TRIED IT LAST YEAR GUESS IM NOT DOING IT RIGHT, I ALSO USED A JIG I CAUGHT A BASS WITH IT OFF THE BEACH, BUT I WANT TO HAVE A VARIETY OF THINGS I CAN USE I GET BORED...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Baits or lures?

Baits---I'd stick with natural stuff---sea worms (sand, blood and tapeworms will all work), clams, bunker, squid (fresh only if you can get it, don't buy the frozen crap in bait shops), mackerel---stuff like that. No salmanders, water dogs, nightcrawlers or frogs ;)

Lures---why not? Some of the stuff you might have may well work. Upgrade the hooks to some that have a tinned finish---the bronze hooks on freshwater lures won't be strong enough and rust out real fast. I've seen guys get stripers on rattletraps, for example. Stay away from ant of those deep running crankbaits.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Those were blues, Barb. I'm not sure what they see in eels, food or just something to terrorize, but they love chewin' their way up them an inch at a time. With bass you feel a bump or two and a solid thump---with blues, it feels like holding a play toy with a little schnauzer attached to the other end.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Clams work very well especially when the surf is churned up. Fresh clams are best because frozen ones get soggy. Put the hook thru the tough part of the clam,and rap some white elastic thread around the bait, it will hold on to the hook longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Nansea thanks for the info I always had a problem with those clams, i always had this huge blob of stuff hanging off my line,i wrap rubber bands around them now, but i have heard of salting them, fishing off my boat for bass, i seem to have luck with clams and eels, do u know anything about the salting thingy??? thanks nan

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Keep this up, I am just lurking here and learrning stuff ! This is what these boards are supposed to be for.
How exactly to you rig for worms and clams off the beach ? Do you use a float to keep them off the bottom ?

Striper77

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes,I use a float so the crabs have to work for stealing the bait. Shuck the fresh clams lay them on newspaper, cover with kosher salt another layer of newspaper, for about 20 mins.This pulls the moisture out. Put 3 0r 4 in a baggie,squeeze the air out & freeze until u use them, wrap the hooked clam w/ elastic thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.