NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a little research, and so far I have found that shimano, penn, and shakespeare all make "baitrunner" type spinning reels. The penn reels are a bit more expensive than the shimanos, but the shakespeares are like half the price. Shimano also makes the thunnus line of "baitrunners" and they are more expensive and heavier, but they are smoother, because of better bearings. I am not really gonna talk about the thunnus line here. Anyway, I would prefer an American reel if I can get one, but if I need to buy an import I will. The weight of the reel is important, because casting or walking a long way with a heavier reel is hard on the stamina. The baitrunners seem to be the lighter reels, but the price on the shakespeares is a tempt.
OK, so heres the question. Does anyone have any knowledge about the shakespeare reels, like do they hold up well etc... The baitrunners from shimano are the tried and true so far, and an easy choice, but they are not American made. The penns are actually my last option, because my uncle has had some recent bad experiences with penns. I mourn the loss of penn as a high standard in reels. I don't want to believe the bad news about the penns my uncle was using, but the proof is right there in front of me.
And so there it is, a tried and true and lighter import from shimano, or a secondary pick from one of the others that I have mentioned.
Any advice on this matter is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most bang for the buck.

Hi topaz,

I'm gonna confuse you further. There is a new line of reels by Okuma that deserve a look. They have an obscene amount of ball bearings and are very smooth operating. Check them out when you get a chance. The inside word is that in a year or so after they get everyones attention the price will skyrocket.

John

·
Registered
93 Posts
OKUMA REELS

Bang for your buck...I totally agree with Soundevil. I own a Metalloid and a Coronado. These are sweet reels for the money - up to 10 ball bearings - smooth as silk - durability is up in the air, but I haven't had any problems.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems your uncle had with Penn. But don't all of a sudden stereotype these reels as bad reels because of the problems he had. Penn has been a tried and true company for a long time.

Good luck with your reel selection.

SF

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice folks, I appreciate it. After much searching, and comparing, I am going to go with the new Penn 5600L liveliner. I just really want an American reel, and I like the Penn, over the Shakespeare. The other reels that I saw all had their good points and such, and the economy of features to cost was there.

If anyone knows about another American reel maker that has a "baitrunner" type reel, please post the name here. thanks

P.S. going to be using it for saltwater

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.