NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alberto:

I have a 310GTI which I purchased last year. I have been using it for baitcasting but, after sending it for maintenance I have been feeling a scratching noise in it and it does no longer casts as far as before. I also have a Penn International 975 its a great reel and I am considering purchasing another reel to replace my 310GTI. What would you recomend? What kind of reel do you think is best for baitcasting? I have an 11' 3" Penn spinnfisher Big Game rod and I would like to match a reel to this rod.

Thanks for your advise.

Polo

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello Polo,
Hello Polo,

Before I answer your question, I need to know the following:
Are you baitcasting with lures?
Are you chunking?
Are you planning to powercast?

Your answer does make a difference! ;)

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Fish4fun,
(All caps means you are shouting)
Ouch? That was too loud?
. :)

Now, what do I mean by powercasting? Perhaps my friend Ron Arra will chime in when he gets the chance. Anyway, powercasting is when you load rod & reel with the maximum power!

The difference is, when chunking? you ?lob? your offering. When you Powercast, you = Pendulum cast for maximum distance!

Since you are planning to chunk, I recommend the following reels. Calcutta 700, Newell 229, Amb. 7 series.

However, in the event you are thinking about powercasting? I recommend the ?non-level wind? series with easy part (internal gears) modifications.

Hope I?ve answered your questions.

Tight Lines!

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking into the Penn 525G and 535G. Do you know these reels? I like the idea of the 6:1 retreive and the magnets. In addition, I understand that they give you more distance in the cast. What do you think?

P.S. Sorry about the screaming! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Yes! That was a little detail I forgot to mention. I use Power Pro 50Lb. test. The 535GS will give me enough room to put 300yards of this line. I was looking at one over at Sports Authority today and they were asking $129.00 for it. I have seen it in other web sites for the same price. However, since I am not in a great hurry I will look a little longer. Something tells me that with the market the way it is I am bound to be able to buy it for a little less.

Polo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.