NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed , on my way to work , that Wades in Valhalla is gone. Anyone know if he just moved ot went out of business entitrely?

Also - the famous Bobs Bait and Tackle in Somers,NY has a new owner. John is a good guy, so when we finally do get some ice ( or before) hope we can give him some business..he even got some ink in a local publiction:
( Aricle advises there is ice but it was before this rain/warmth)

Close-up: Bob's Sport &Tackle Center, Katonah
Jenny Higgons ? InTown Westchester ? January 1, 2008

Sure, the surfaces of Westchester's lakes, reservoirs, and ponds are currently hard as a rock, but Bob's Sport & Tackle Center in Katonah is a hub of activity nonetheless. "It's fun to fish this time of year," insists owner John Miller, 23. "You go to any of the area reservoirs-Muscoot, Titicus, Croton Falls-cut the ice with an auger [basically a hand-powered drill], and you can catch perch, crappies, and blue gills. Some people are on the ice from 5 to 10 a.m."

For close to 30 years, Bob's has been the hard-core fisherman's go-to store for rods, nets, flies, and live bait. Heck, even Martha Stewart and actor Stanley Tucci are hooked: She dropped by for a $19 fishing license and he, for some equipment. Last October, Miller bought Bob's from his Aunt Lucy, who, in the mid-'80s, bought it from Bob Bayly, who'd founded it about 10 years before.

Of course, Bob's is busiest in the spring and summer, when it opens at 5 a.m. weekdays and 4 a.m. weekends, closing every night at 8. "Our not being here would create a lot of complications for my customers," says Miller. "They'd have to travel out of their way for live bait at 4 a.m." Over the winter, his workdays stretch from 5:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Though Bob's hours are hard on Miller-"They're the only bad part of the job"-he promises that he's in it for the long haul:"I bought my aunt's store because I love fishing and wanted to preserve the store's integrity. I also like hearing the other guys' stories, because most of them are fish tales" (Bob's Sport & Tackle Center; 105 Somerstown Rd.; Katonah; 232-4085).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well good luck to John. And I hope Lucy enjoys retirement. My first year of fishing up there was 86. I landed my largest trout to date that year. A 12 pound Brown from Croton Falls Reservoir. A picture of it made th wall at Bobs. Looking forward to the boating season.

Speaking of Kensico. Anyone having any luck with the Lakers?

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
I noticed Wade was gone when I went through Valhalla last weekend, bummer. It was convenient, but he had the better locale on Rte 22 before they banged him on that lease. The Rte 22 location has been vacant since, dumba** landlord. :rolleyes:

Did Bob's try for the sawbelly certification, or are they just doing shiners too? Is anyone trying to sell sawbellies?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys this is John Miller from Bobs sport and tackle and I just thought i would clear a few things up for everyone...First, from what I hear wades is not out of business just closed for his slow season till march when he will reopen at a new location, ive herd somewhere around pleasantville. I appreciate any constructive criticism along with any questions or concerns! The sawbellie situation has been and should be great for this spring i think we will have them surprisingly early...like i said any questions just send me and email
[email protected] Thank You

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.