NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it was the month of June right now. What bait,plug/lure,or flies would you be using on the south or north shore from the surf? Only list what has worked for you at this(June)time of the year. I'll give you my answer and lets see how everyone matches up.

South shore:
Bait/clams
Plug/Lure/ Atom swimmer yellow body red head
Flies/Chart/white 1/2 & 1/2 clousers

North shore:
Bait/bunker
Plug/Lure/ lead heads with small shad bodies
Flies/sandeels and worm hatch flies(moon tides)

·
Registered
338 Posts
SOUTH SHORE: When I fish bait in June (which is not to often) (at night) clams will do the trick as well as FRESH bunker. As far as plugs are concerned that is another story. Depending upon water conditions,tide and moon phase,just before sun up I like to use a 6" or 7" yellow chicken scratch bomber or yellow darter with a dropper teaser usually white or yellow. As the sun is rising and on the horizon I switch to a blue atom talking popper. Once the sun has risen I switch to a 1.5 to 2.0 oz white smiling bucktail with white split pork rind. And if all else fails i.e. pencil poppers, metal lip swimmers and praying then I will use an ava jig with a green tail or possibly a hopkins with yellow feather, kastmaster or deadly dick. (I will usually nail a bass, weakfish or blue) If that doesn't work then I go swimming.
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 1-25-02 @ 11:12 PM

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fly- a black clouser withbright highlights
Surf Fresh bunker.
Plugs-anything with a white or bright yellow bottom 1hr before sunup.dawn I switch to a medium swimmer with teaser sun-up I go deeper with a bottom bouncer with large bucktail

·
Registered
338 Posts
I must be bored. (See Photo) So here is a small sample of some of the plugs and tins I use in June as well as the fall. I carry 16 various plugs, 10 buck tails, 4 tins, 10 leaders,an extra 704z or 706z spool, neck light, white cloth finger tape, pork rind, fish tags, and black electrical tape for quick rod repairs. I fit all this stuff in my surf bag.

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

Attachments

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
BAIT - Clams or worms
LURES - soft plastics - ususally shad bodies or bass assasin type plastics with the occasional rattle trap thrown in for good measure.

Just picked up a lure from Sports Authority that I'm dying to try out. Would probably do well in this - our make-believe-month of June. It's a saltwater spinner bait. Looks just like the type you would use in Freshwater - but - larger. Nice size blade & hook. Anyone tried this yet?

This message was edited by wader on 1-25-02 @ 11:42 PM

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tiderunner quote:
I must be bored.

Hey we all are. But at least with some of the posts and replys on the Discussion Board we all can have something to do besides watching TV. Plus a newbie can read these posts and really get a headstart on what to use when and where.
Thank you Tiderunner for helping out. Your post was very informative. Great picture.

[email protected] writes:
Fly- a black clouser withbright highlights

I agree that fly does work at night.

Mattyblazer writes:
Clams, they seemed hot all season last year,

Your so right. If you check out the posted reports for most of the year clams worked real well almost all of last year on the south shore.

WADER writes:
It's a saltwater spinner bait. Looks just like the type you would use in Freshwater - but - larger.

I always thought those spinner baits(even the fresh water types)would work real well for stripers. If you want I will contact you when things heat up at Little Neck Bay. You could try it out there. I know the area you fish most of the time that spinner bait will be a winner.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
MattyBlazer - to tell you the truth - don't know. I removed it from the package - there's no identification on it that I can see.

Picked it up @ Sports Authority though. Next time I'm by there -I'll stop & get the manufacturer. Actually - thinking of picking up another as a spare in the even this one works real well & I manage to lose it.

As I recall - the package called it a saltwater spinner or something like that.

FlyRodder - your right - that's what I thought when I saw it - Great River Lure on a calm night.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
triple post - apparently happens if you use your back button before returning to the main forum page- not the topic you just replied to.

This message was edited by wader on 1-26-02 @ 11:21 PM

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Thanks Wader,
Sounds great, I shy away from using freshwater lures because I have a habit of leaving them in a damp box, after a week theyre junk. So one made for the salt sounds great.

Thanks Again
Matt

This message was edited by mattyblazer on 1-26-02 @ 11:45 PM

·
Registered
831 Posts
I played around some with freshwater spinnerbaits---my thinking afterwards was, they worked for one fish. A 22" schoolie probably weighs more and fights harder than a 3# LM. The wire got so beat up you spent more time realigning them after landing a fish than it was worth. I can get 10 fish out of a jig and plastic before having to get the glue out to repair.

A saltwater one would have to be made from heavier wire to be of much use.

·
Registered
742 Posts
June has ment a great number of sand eels for the past several years. Some areas have seen more than others but last year they seemed to be everywhere. Since this has been the case i like to trow 3" slugos with 3/8oz lead heads--what a match!The slugos used as teasers are also deadly. In Montauk I dont use a teaser as much except for shag and a few other areas-but my go to out there would be a needle fish- June. Using it slow and steady at night and as a pencil popper by day.That time of year I like a skinny profile. So I usually go to the yo-zurries-Spell??as opposed to say- a red fin which has a slightly fatter profile. I like to break the red fins out in August when those snappers come around.Hopefully we will get those sand eels back next year and ill definately keep it skinny. Bucktails are always a go to-- and bait--eels.I rarely dead stick.

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Regarding the spinner baits - On eBay there's a guy from NJ who sells a large single blade spinner bait he says is deadly in the surf on stripers. There's a b/w pic of him(?) with a large bass I presume was taken on one of those spinner baits at night.

Bill - What color sluggos do you like to use?

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill your so right. Theres been so many sandeels around for the last few years on the sandy flats. Most stripers caught by us at night were on sandeel patterns.

Jaiem I'm not sure if you went to the Somerset show this year but this was the first time I didn't see the Salty Flyrodders being represented there like past years. Do you know the reason for this? Long Island Flyrodders were there and what a collection of flies they had up for raffle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.