NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering could you fish bait during the day at Plum Gut. I just got 2 Calcutta 700's with 35# superbraid which I am planning to use to bucktail "the gut" are there any other methods I can get away with fishing there during the day??

kev

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
nivekelly wrote:
o ok, the eels just get clobbered by blues durin the day tho!
…could u fish bunker?

Hi Nivekelly, That is correct! During the summertime - Plum Gut is a notorious place where big chopper blues lives and they will demolish your eels in a NY minute! That is why I carefully posted "[/B] During the "FALL"… daytime live eeling is…[/B] ;)

You wrote: …could u fish bunker?
My answer is an astounding YES! Bunker (chunks) is a very common SPRING & SUMMER practice (usage) in the Orient Pt. grounds! However, it is best done when anchored during the first and last two hours of the tide and the "location" plays a big role of your success!

My friends (Capt. Richie Jensen and Capt. Bob Rochetta) are the masters of the art and they sail from Orient Pt! I could assist you via online… but if you really want to learn the tricks of the trades and learn it fast… I recommend that you charter them! They are the sharpies of the sharp and most importantly… Gentlemen that turn people on to big fish!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Johny513 wrote:
How would you fish frozen herring at the gut. What type of rig, etc.

Hello Johny513,

I was originally reffering the usage of "live" herring (not frozen). However, I have used "fresh" dead herring in many places such as Montauk, Rhode Island, Block Island and Orient Pt. with great success.

The key to success is to drift the herring over a "structure" (ledges, bowls, cuts, rips, drops, etc) and the herring should be drifting/working close to the bottom (drop to the bottom and take three cranks on the reel).

Depending on the current and tide… You need to use enough led to keep your bait close to the bottom. Simply use a three-way swivel and do the following 3 steps.
1) Tie main line to one end of the swivel

2) Tie approx. 36"-50" of 40-60 lbs. leader with a sharp hook (Circle Hook / Palomar Knot)

3) Tie a 12"-15" 30 lbs. leader to your sinker (dropper loop)…. And you are good to go!

Hope this gives you a good start. Tight Lines!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Crazy Al,

When are you going to take me with you in your tin boat out to Orient? I've sharpened the hooks on my jointed pikies and metal lips! I'm tired of catching teen bass on eels at the Cable Crossing!

Tightlines and a Little Drag!

NORTHFORKWILLY

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Gut

I prefer both the convenience and cost effectiveness of bucktailing in the Gut. In the last few years it has probably been the most effective method for bass.

Live or dead herring can be drifted and are very effective in the Gut in the Spring and Fall.

Chunks work great in the summer but anchoring is necessary and location is the key. Be prepared to work pretty hard at anchoring and don't expect to hold after the first hour or so of each tide.

Eels are great at nite, but I wouldn't recommend using them during the day. Over the past several years the blue fish have been around as long as the bass in the Gut.

By the way, the fall (late Oct on) bass fishery has been pretty poor in the Gut over the past three years or so. I remembeer some great Novemeber trips with easy limits of bass and blacks, however, I have't experienced a good Nov in the Gut (or the Race) in the past several years. All my Nov and Dec bass fishing has been over in Montauk. Great fishing but I hate the hour ride from Greenport.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Willy wrote:
When are you going to take me with you in your tin boat out to Orient? I've sharpened the hooks on my jointed pikies and metal lips! I'm tired of catching teen bass on eels at the Cable Crossing! …

Hello Willy,
I sold my boat a while ago and pick my days accordingly on my friend's boat! ;)

FYI: Although a jointed pikie or metal lips can fool a big bass, you might want to consider switching something like a bucktail or deep diving plug (with big profile/silhouette) to entice those bigger girls. Also… the Cable Crossing area may not be "the" place to find your dream fish. Concentrate on other fishy areas (structures, quick drops, deeper pockets and rips). Simply look at a good chart and you will have no problem finding it. With that, if you are still having difficulties finding the fish…. please send me an email and we'll work from there! :)

Keep in touch!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
BD001 Wrote:
I prefer both the convenience and cost effectiveness of bucktailing in the Gut. In the last few years it has probably been the most effective method for bass. …

By the way, the fall (late Oct on) bass fishery has been pretty poor in the Gut over the past three years or so. I remember some great Novemeber trips with easy limits of bass and blacks, however, I have't experienced a good Nov in the Gut (or the Race) in the past several years. All my Nov and Dec bass fishing has been over in Montauk. Great fishing but I hate the hour ride from Greenport.

Hello BD001,
I agree with you 100% about the bucktailing in the Gut! It's a proven fact and I've seen many large cows taken with a bucky! In fact, last year we had a 50 pounder culled from the deep with a deep purple bucktail / yellow pork rind.

Also, from the looks of things, you are very familiar with the latest trend (lack of fish during the late fall run). I remember it well about those Togzilla days with COWS mixed in during the month of Nov.! Unfortunately the Tog days seems to be over by early November and there were very few cows around.

Dunno what's going on… What do you think is causing this phenomenon?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Crazy Al:

I'm with you on the lack of bass in the fall but the Tog last year was phenomenal. Albeit we mostlty fished the sw reef over in CT. The lobster die off in the eastern sound opened up a lot of new tog sites for us--we were able to fish in areas we could not get into in previous years because of the huge #'s of pots in the way.

As for the bass...it's gotta be the lack of herring. Montauk has had better herring runs which have kept the fish around later into Dec. As to why the herring are gone?, who knows.

I'm hoping for a hot spring in the gut. Fishing's been awesome in the gut/race and sluiceway for the past several springs.

Any word yet on Fluke regs? I'm looking forward to the jessups and greenlawns doormats.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jessups

Jessups is a great spot for early spring fluke and weaks. I not a great fan of fishing East Marion (Oyster factory out to Bug) due to the boat traffic. I rather wait for the fluke to get out to Gardiners or take the trip to Montauk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.