NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make my older version Avet SX work without making that annoying noise while retrieving line. Does anyone have any ideas? A part that can be removed? Added? Oiled? Replaced?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Found this artical on a recent search I did on Avet reels. Hope it is helpful.

Care and Operation of Your New Avet Reel
by: ak-fish( 1286)
Guide viewed: 1848 times Tags: Avet Fishing Reel | Reel maintenance | lever drag fishing reel | Two speed fishing reel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avet reels are among the finest fishing reels available. With proper care they will last a lifetime but it is important that they be operated correctly and kept clean and lubricated. Setting the drag. Like all lever drag reels, it is important to adjust the preset knob (the small knob in the center of the handle side) only when the reel is in free spool; that is, when the lever is in the 9 o?clock position. a. To set the drag initially, move the lever to the Strike position and pull out some line. If the drag tension is where you like it, fine, you?re set to go. Most fishermen plan to fight the fish at the Strike position, and move the lever forward to increase drag (perhaps if you are about to be spooled) or move it backward slightly to loosen the drag (perhaps when the fish is near the boat). b. If the drag is initially too tight, move the lever to the 9 o?clock position so the reel is in free spool, then turn the preset knob counter clockwise a few degrees. Now move the lever back to the Strike position, and check the drag again. It will be less tight than it was before. If the drag is still too tight, repeat the procedure. c. If the drag is too loose, move the lever to the free spool position, and turn the preset knob clockwise a few degrees. Then move the lever to the Strike position and pull out some line to check the drag. Repeat the procedure if the drag is still too loose. Maintenance: Avet reels are as maintenance free as any reel on the market, but this does not mean they are completely maintenance free. It is vital that they be rinsed with a light spray of fresh water after every use in saltwater. Failure to do so will result in corrosion and could void the warranty. a. Annual service. Avet and all other reel manufacturers recommend that reels used in saltwater be completely dismantled, cleaned, and lubricated at least once per year. The best time to do this is at the end of the season so that corrosion does not build up in the off season. If you have a mechanical inclination, you can probably do this to your SX, MX, JX and LX reels; however, EX and Quad reels should probably be serviced only at a reel repair shop. You should remove and grease the sideplate screws on all Avet reels annually whether they are taken in for service or not. b. Should you submerge your reel in water? Some people like to submerge their reels completely in fresh water after using them in saltwater. This probably won?t hurt SX, MX, JX or LX reels but should not be done to EX and Quad reels. Also, submerging your reel in water will wash out the grease and eventually cause problems on any reel. One exception: If you accidentally drop your reel into saltwater, it is vital that you soak it in freshwater as soon as possible and then take it to a reel repair shop for cleaning and lubrication. Two-speed operation: Do you need two speeds? Except for very large tuna, you probably don?t need a two speed reel, but it sure is nice! Use the high gear for fast retrieve and when there is little pressure on the line to get your line in rapidly. Shift to low gear to increase your cranking power and get the fish to the boat. The Avet two speed gear box is one of the most reliable on the market and quite simple to operate: Push in the button on the handle post to shift into low gear, and slide the knob next to the post to shift back to high gear. Trouble shooting: Short of dropping your reel and actually breaking it, there is little that can go wrong with an Avet reel if you take care of it at all, but I have seen a few reels with bad bearings. The most common problem I have seen with Avet reels is with the pinion bearing (called the brake bearing on Avet scehmatics) on JX and LX reels. This is almost always caused by corrosion and can be detected in two ways: The lever drag becomes hard to move into high drag settings and/or the reel makes more noise than it should while being cranked. The only solution is a new pinion bearing. Less common are bad spool bearings. This is also caused by corrosion and is indicated by noisy free spool and a spool that doesn?t spin as well as it should. Generally speaking, any time your reel starts to make more noise that it should, it needs service or repair. If you have any questions about Avet or other reels you can contact Taku Reel Repair at ak-fish on eBay or [email protected].

Guide ID: 10000000001628221Guide created: 08/16/06 (updated 12/12/07)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dizzy - I've got two of the older generation (but not first generation) SX reels, and that annoying clicking is the one thing I don't like. I've torn them down, and it looks like (I'm no expert though) this is the anti-reverse. Its just a simple pawl and cog. Take out the pawl, and you have no anti-reverse. I believe on the newer reels they have gone to a silent anti-reverse, but I've never picked one up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.