NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pick up a new inshore set up and cant decide between those two reels. Part of me says: They have the same drag ratings...why not go for the lighter (smaller) reel. The only advantage I can really see to the mxl is more line capacity (which I'll never use anyway). On the other hand, I'm just used to a larger reel. I've been fishing a penn 320 gti and jigmasters for a while now and the mxl does feel real comfy (to me anyway). I have big hands and the sx feels kinda dinky or awkward or something. so confused. Someone make a decision for me lol. Money's not an issue since they are only $20 apart.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
O.K. then, so why not split the difference between the two reels you are interested in and look at the MXJ?

I bought two this past Summer for bunker drifting/chunking and really
like them alot.

Of course I'm a ho and got the gold versions. ;)

Lep

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
im with lep the drag is the same more or less .the mx will be much more comfotable with bigger fish .i have both reels and find myself using the mx more for everthing from cod to tog and some big bass .the sx tends to bog down under high drag and big fish

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I own both. I was going to ask you to post more info,but you already have the answer to your own question.If your hands feel more comfortable wiyh an m series reel from avet choose either mxj or mxl.I prefer the sx for how its fits in my hands,Its all a matter of personal preference.Just make sure it balances properly on the rod that you plan to use it on.-Rob

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
There is one other thing to consider. All other things being equal, the MX has a larger diameter spool so your line pickup per crank is greater than with the SX, assuming the same gear ratios in both reels. This makes a difference when you have alot of line out.

Line capacity with braid on the SX is just >300 yards of 30 lb. with room for a short topshot.

Otherwise you've gotten some very good advice already, good luck.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you are accustom to using the 320gti i would go mxl as they are very similar to me....either way both reels (mx and sx) are dynamite so you cant really go wrong at this point it is basically a matter of preference

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the smaller reel causes less side to side wobble when reeling. I had a mxj and its a great reel, but do you really need and more than 300 yds of braid? Thats 900 ft. for fishing 50-80 ft of water. I have 2 sx's and love them both. At least get the mxj if you want the bigger reel to feel comfortable in your hands.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I debated the same thing a few weeks ago, ended up picking up 2 MXL's. If you like the size of the GTI320, then go with MXL. What a beautiful piece of equiptment. One of the best bangs for the buck out there as far as fishing reels go.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went with the MXL since I was used to the GTi...Very happy. Feels good...I think I made the right choice, the whole set up is Very very comfy for me. Thanks guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.