NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Striped Bass Stock Assessment Indicates Healthy Stock
Female Spawning Stock Biomass Remains High

Scientific advice presented to the Commission's Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board indicates that striped bass management under Amendment 6 to the Interstate Plan continues to be a success. The benchmark stock assessment, recently endorsed by an independent panel of fishery scientists, concluded that striped bass are not overfished and overfishing in not occurring. The assessment estimates that the resource remains at a high level with spawning stock biomass (SSB) at 55 million pounds, well above the SSB target and threshold levels of 38.6 and 30.9 million pounds, respectively. Estimates of juvenile abundance showed several years of strong recruitment, with the 2003 cohort being the strongest in the time series. The statistical catch at age (SCA) model used by the Striped Bass Technical Committee estimated the 2006 fishing mortality rate on age 8-11 fish to be F=0.31, which is below the Amendment 6 fishing mortality threshold of 0.41. Retrospective analysis of the SCA model, as well as tag-based estimates of fishing mortality presented in the assessment, indicate that the 2006 fishing mortality is also below the Amendment 6 target of 0.30.

Total striped bass harvest (commercial and recreational) in 2006 was estimated at 3.82 million fish, a 46 percent increase from 2002 (prior to the implementation of Amendment 6). Commercial harvest (1.05 million fish) was dominated by Maryland's commercial fisheries, which made up 62 percent of the total commercial landings by number in 2006. Commercial discards in 2006 were estimated at 216,753 fish. Recreational harvest (2.77 million fish) and discard losses (2.07 million fish) accounted for 79 percent of total fishery removals in 2006. Maryland recreational fisheries harvested 24 percent of total recreational landings in number, followed by Virginia (22 percent), New Jersey (18 percent), Massachusetts (12 percent), and New York (11 percent).

The Peer Review Panel endorsed the use of the SCA model for producing SSB and fishing mortality estimates that can be judged against the current biological reference points. The new model is a significant departure from the virtual population analysis that has been used to assess striped bass stock status since 1997. It is an aged-based model that projects the population numbers-at-age forward through time, rather than backwards, given model estimates of recruitment and age-specific total mortality. Additional tag-based results from the catch-equation method support the SCA model?s results that striped bass are not overfished.

Based on advice of the Technical Committee, the Board maintained the states' management programs at status quo. The Technical Committee will continue to monitor the status of the stock and refine stock assessment methodology as necessary. The next stock assessment update will be conducted in 2009.

Copies of the stock assessment will be available on the Commission website (www.asmfc.org under Breaking News) by mid-February. For more information, please contact Nichola Meserve, Fisheries Management Plan Coordinator, at (202)289-6400 or <[email protected]>.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is why we have problems

MakoMike wrote:
Recreational harvest (2.77 million fish) and discard losses (2.07 million fish) accounted for 79 percent of total fishery removals in 2006.

Who bent over and farted out 2.07 discard. BULL DINKY

This is a setup to EFF New York fishermen in the near future.

After they finish screwing us on the fluke they will end striped bass fishing.

Does any body else call BS on these dreamed up numbers?

LooneyTunes
Dave

If Bull SH** could be packaged and sold, I would be able to buy every member of congress on those numbers pulled from thin air or someone's orfice.

This post edited by LooneyTunes 07:47 PM 02/05/2008

Attachments

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Yeah, Bull Dinky

Must be a typographical error,
you know, its the government and all.
Allow me to correct it:

Commercial harvest
(2.77 million fish) and discard losses
(2.07 million fish)
accounted for 79 percent
of total fishery removals in 2006.

There we go, all fixed.

;)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

Sure lets keep believing this....

More party and charter boats targeting striped bass now, as either their primary or secondary species for the season.

More recreational anglers targeting striped bass during the season then in the past.

The number of striped bass caught has risen noticeably since the year 2000 to 2007 throughout its range.

So:

MORE EFFORT + MORE ANGLERS + SMALLER FISH BEING CAUGHT = BULL DINKY

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
579 Posts
Let's get realistic

Come on, You?ve got a better chance of starting a successful ice business in Antarctica then getting anyone with even a shred of common sense to believe that FOR EVERY STRIPER LANDED THE SAME ANGLER KILLS ONE STRIPER.

OR

getting me to believe: Commercial discards in 2006 were estimated at 216,753 fish.

This is more of that junk science that proliferates NMFS, ASMFC, and all those other acronym agencies.

In 2006, I was fortunate to be able to fish an average of 4 days a week for stripers. The whole season I did not release even one dead striper and maybe 1 or 2 in tough enough shape to possibly cause death. AND THAT WAS FISHING WITH CLAM BELLIES most times.

2007 I discovered cast netting and live bunker. No stripers release in bad enough shape to die.

LooneyTunes
Dave

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Valid Point

LooneyTunes wrote:
The whole season I did not release even one dead striper
LooneyTunes
Dave

Looney's got a point.
If he didn't release a single striper that didn't die,
then how many more Looney's out there that didn't kill a single released fish.

I think I shall revise that statement based on this latest evidence presented:

Commercial harvest (2.77 million fish) and discard losses (2.07 million fish) accounted for 79 percent of total fishery removals in 2006.

Recreational harvest (1.05 million fish) and discards in 2006 were estimated at 9 fish.

Maryland recreational fisheries harvested 64 percent of total recreational landings in number, followed by Virginia (42 percent), New Jersey (38 percent), Massachusetts (22 percent), and New York (11 percent).

There we go, all fixed. :)

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LooneyTunes wrote:
In 2006, I was fortunate to be able to fish an average of 4 days a week for stripers. The whole season I did not release even one dead striper and maybe 1 or 2 in tough enough shape to possibly cause death. AND THAT WAS FISHING WITH CLAM BELLIES most times.

2007 I discovered cast netting and live bunker. No stripers release in bad enough shape to die.

Did you follow them around to be sure you didn't kill them? Most post release mortality occures hours if not days after release.

·
Registered
579 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Did you follow them around to be sure you didn't kill them? Most post release mortality occures hours if not days after release.

Come on Mike,

Now you are being silly. I made the distinction about the general condition of the fish. Every fish I release is put into the current head first and I move water over the gills till the striper bites down and takes off.

Your statement serves more to validate my questioning of the commercial numbers of mortality. Think about it.

How much worse is it for a striper to get caught in a net that removes the protective slime from the fish then be thrown in the water instead of properly releasing. Thanks for the point

LooneyTunes
Dave

This post edited by LooneyTunes 09:56 PM 02/05/2008

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
LooneyTunes wrote:
Every fish I release is put into the current head first and I move water over the gills till the striper bites down and takes off.
There you go, a confirmed live release and zero mortality bass !!!

Disregard what the scientists and the numerous studies have shown,
as we know its all BULL DINKY :)

Considering this latest revelation,
I find it appropriate to readjust some numbers:

Recreational harvest (1.05 million fish) and discards in 2006 were estimated at 3 fish.

Really, how much did the government waste on this assessment ?
They could have sent Looney a PM and gotten the right answer for free,
and it wouldn't take a whole year to compile either.

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
"Thanks for the point"

LooneyTunes wrote:
How much worse is it for a striper to get caught in a net that removes the protective slime from the fish then be thrown in the water instead of properly releasing.
Thanks for the point

Wow, you're on fire tonight Looney !

Got me thinking about that slime, you got a point there.

Those nets do remove slime, and that should be reason enough to outlaw all nets.
But, its not the "worse" striper's go through,
and I think we should target more serious removers of slime first,
I hope you would agree.

So, whats worse than a net, SAND !
Those evil beach fishermen drag fish up onto the beach,
coating the fish in sand, and removing all the slime !
That can't be good for the fish and is definitely much worse than a net.

So, based on your slime theory,
we should ban all surf fishing for Striped Bass

That will definitely save allot of slime and thus fish.

How do you suggest we pursue this course of action ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hungry Jack says all surf fisherman are GOOGANS

theknowitall wrote:
So, whats worse than a net, SAND !
Those evil beach fishermen drag fish up onto the beach,
coating the fish in sand, and removing all the slime !
That can't be good for the fish and is definitely much worse than a net.

So, based on your slime theory,
we should ban all surf fishing for Striped Bass

Hungry Jack says all surf fisherman are GOOGANS

HJ,

You need to get a clue. You are like a 5 year old with ADDHD. You can?t stay focused on a point for all the tea in China.

This is the first and last time that I will respond to you directly. Unless of course you learn how to constructively participate in a discussion thread.

You must be a googan if you have to drag a sub-keeper sized striper through the sand to land it. There may be one or two bone heads that will drag a sub-keeper striper through the sand but it is definitely the exception not the rule. That is about as unsporting as it gets. Most recreational fishermen have a reverence for Stripers rivaled by no other species of fish. I guarantee you that if some googan does that and there is a recreational fishermen in sight, that the googan will be quickly advised of striped bass etiquette. I have seen surf guys tell off googans for less.

You need to step outside the world that you have created in your head. There is a great big world out there and you are missing it.

LooneyTunes
Dave

This post edited by LooneyTunes 07:45 AM 02/06/2008

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
LooneyTunes wrote:
Most recreational fishermen have a reverence for Stripers rivaled by no other species of fish.

There were over 6 MILLION Striper's landed from the shoreline in 2006.
Fortunately only two dozen or so were dragged through the sand by anglers who didn't worship the striper.
For 2007 the ASMFC expects less than a dozen stripers to be dragged through the sand this year due to the efforts of the Striper Witnesses and their beach education and worship program.
Getting closer to the goal of zero release mortality from recreational fishermen.

LooneyTunes wrote:
You need to step outside the world that you have created in your head.
There is a great big world out there and you are missing it.Ya think ?
Have you ever stepped outside your little world ?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LooneyTunes wrote:
How much worse is it for a striper to get caught in a net that removes the protective slime from the fish then be thrown in the water instead of properly releasing. Thanks for the point

LooneyTunes
Dave

I don't know the exact number but about 90% of the commercial stiper catch is either on rod and reel or in gill nets. The unwanted Rod & reel caught fish are released just like the recreational fish and the gill nets only catch the size that's wanted and there is no release.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here is a thought on how to reduce commercial discards of striped bass.

No Size limit
season open from June to December
Tag program stands (it was like 220 tags per license holder this year)
fish from 0 to 30 inches require one tag
fish from 30 to 40 inches require two tags
fish 40 inches and above require three tags

Turn those discards into landings/money

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for the link to the PDF.

Seems like the one thing they left out is how anglers are forced to focus effort on stripers because of the overly restrictive regulations on other species.

If the stock is "not overfished and overfishing in not occurring", why do we need to spend so much money on stripers? Save the Puffer!

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WaterAye wrote:
Thanks for the link to the PDF.

Seems like the one thing they left out is how anglers are forced to focus effort on stripers because of the overly restrictive regulations on other species.

If the stock is "not overfished and overfishing in not occurring", why do we need to spend so much money on stripers? Save the Puffer!

I owuld love to see the blowfish make a comeback. I don't think they even have a FMP for blowfish!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.