NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else experienced. As the season closed, I developed a pain on the outside of my forearm/elbow of my right arm (casting arm). Didn't visit doc of course. :) Internet research suggested "tennis elbow" which actually can be caused by any repetitive strain. Cure...don't use arm. If it doesn't get better...shot of corti-something or in rare cases, surgery. I stopped weight lifting and haven't cast anything and sure enough it seems to be getting better. For a while I couldn't pick up a book without pain. Never happened in all my years of fresh water casting. I assume holding an 11' pole and casting for hours creates much greater strains. Midseason I started holding the pole between my legs on the retrieve. Early season I was actually holding it and twitching it like a freshwater stik. I just hope it doesn't return in the spring. Missing a little gym time now I can deal with. Missing fishing in the Spring would not be good.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible. I had been doing stuff for shoulders lifting dumbells up and away from my sides that probably didn't help. However, the new greatest strain was the surf activity. Mind you my 11' G Loomis is pretty light and I strap VSB 150 to it which is probably undersized, but definitely saves on weight. It was the largest reel with a bail they made last Spring which was my primary motivation. I see they now have larger ones. I haven't had a problem with the bail flipping over at the wrong time accidentally and enjoy being able to just slap it over in the dark without thinking about it. I know everyone says you get used to bail less, but I think it would be a pain in the a.. for me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Wrists, shoulders and elbows!

I used to sinker bounce flounder with a pole in each arm and one between my legs in a row boat. By the time I was 15 I could not fish for more than 2 hrs, wrists were shot. The shoulders and elbows started going once I moved up to a 10' stick. The worst of it came when I was competition body building back in 2003. Between over workouts, 4-6 hr casting sessions and surfing/paddling I had to jamb on the breaks or have my elbow and shoulder sown back on. I was going to ruin my fall. Had to limit casting to 1 1/2-2 hrs and stuck with my 9ft and did not touch the 10 or 11'. Cold is a big factor too especially when that elbows locked holding that slow retrieve waiting to set the hook. I use the 9' 95% of the time and 50% of the time in M. I do not have any reoccurance when using the 9'and feel the PING after a few nights with the 10 and 11'. A 40# on the 9' is an incredible feel and makes you appreciate it more than on a 10 or 11'. Not sure how old you are but since I turned 30 I noticed things DEGENERATE FAST! I would stop the workouts and take off 2 weeks. It's good to do that every 2 months anyway especially if you go the the gym 3-5 days a week. Allow the surf session to replace a workout every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i have a problem with my shoulder when casting...try "chokeing up" on the rod..that should also help elbow...also ii used to use a shoulder strap for my bag now i just use a belt with the bag attached...it helps my shoulder out a ton...im a lot less fatigued with a belt...all these problem and im only 23...but ive had my fair share of motorcycle recks and other big crashes...lol

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Unfortunately age catches up to everyone sooner or later and things you once did without a care in the world are no longer done so carefree.
I've spent a lifetime working hard and it has taken its toll on a few body parts :(
My elbows will get agravated fairly easy if I spend to much time tossing plugs.Once those tendons fray they take a looooong time to heal up!
Luckily I find just as much joy in bait fishing and the act of "being outside"( sometimes more fun to be honest!Biggest fish are always on bait with me :tu:)

I turned 50 last May so I'm old enough to understand that you need to rest things and heal.That saying "no pain no gain " is for young fools and macho types.
Been there and done that!
Everything in life should be done in moderation.

This post edited by PaddleOn 05:09 PM 01/07/2008

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds like tennis elbow or in medical lingo "lateral epidondylitis" treatment can include anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen, rest, ice, exercises. if none of that works, your doctor can consider a steroid injection, which can be done at the office.

you can check out this link

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00068

see your doctor if he/she is trained in family medicine or orthopedics he/she should be able to diagnose and treat this :) (anything surgical would need to be evaluated by orthopedist but family doc should be able to diagnose most basic musculoskeletal disorders)

regarding the weight of your rod. i have found that the heavier the rod, the more likely my forearm is to hurt. i couldn't tell you about my technique because i don't think i have any.

·
Registered
757 Posts
toyotaoffroad91 wrote:
i have a problem with my shoulder when casting...try "chokeing up" on the rod..that should also help elbow...also ii used to use a shoulder strap for my bag now i just use a belt with the bag attached...it helps my shoulder out a ton...im a lot less fatigued with a belt...all these problem and im only 23...but ive had my fair share of motorcycle recks and other big crashes...lol

o those bags kill anyone at any age im 17 and so is a friend and our backs are just shot after a long day of fishing!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks

Ihavegills...I'm 39. You may be right, it may have been more the gym activity. I do take days off. Right now I'm only doing lower body stuff.

Bnapoliano...Thanks for the great medical info!

PaddleOn...Indeed, it catches up with you. It was a sad day in my early 30's when I came to the realization that Alleve needed to be a part of my tackle bag to combat inevitable bach ache from a day on the lake.

Thanks to all else who posted.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't blame it all on the gym. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and usually wreck my elbows during the LIS fall jigging season. 2 yrs. ago i had both tennis elbow and golfers elbow(go figure, i dont golf!) during the fall run. Ice the elbow after fishing and take an advil. It took 9 months!!! before it cleared up......seemed as though nothing helped. REST before it becomes chronic. they also sell bands that go around the elbow which may help you......they sell them at your local drug store. I use them when I feel an inflammation starting.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rubicon. I'm also thinking about downsizing that pole. I noted most guys use 9' lami. I used to sling bait with 10' - 12', so I thought I could handle it. Not the same as throwing lures non-stop for hours though. I got an 11' for distance, but can probably do okay with 9'.

·
Registered
239 Posts
MaxKatt1 wrote:
Thanks Rubicon. I'm also thinking about downsizing that pole. I noted most guys use 9' lami. I used to sling bait with 10' - 12', so I thought I could handle it. Not the same as throwing lures non-stop for hours though. I got an 11' for distance, but can probably do okay with 9'.

I think you hit the nail on the head, down sizing will help.Also they make a brace for tennis elbo,I used it when I used to play racquette ball,it seemed to help.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To close on this. Arm hurt from Xmas until now. Haven't been in the gym all winter. Still hurting. Finally went to the Doc (Orthopedist) with the new season almost upon us (I'm actually going out freshwater this weekend). He said he it was classic "Tennis Elbow" and felt it was due to the surf casting. Gave me a shot of Cortizone right in the joint. He said I could swim at the gym tonight, but I can't see that. It's hurting more than it has in a while post-shot. I'm sure it will improve, but jeez tonight isn't fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.