NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Are You "SPORT" Fishing?

5K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  squaleblinks 
#1 ·
I've been scouring the boards here on Noreast looking at all the discussions regarding tackle and methods of fishing and I asked myself... "Am I SPORT Fishing" or am I "OVERDOING" it?

Figured I would pose the same question to the rest of you...Maybe I can get a barometer of what I am doing right/wrong or more importantly, am I being FAIR TO THE FISH!!!

Here are "some" of the examples of gear and tackle that I am currently using for my "FAVORITE 4" local species:

Bass
Reels: Avet SX, Penn 955, Garcia 6500 Big Game, Tekota 300
Rods: Lami 963, Calstar 700XLH & 700XL, Ugly Stick GBU845
Line: 20-25 lb. mono with 40-50 lb. Big Game mono leader
Hooks: Gamakatsu 5/0, 6/0 Octopus

Fluke
Reels: Garcia Revo Inshore (low profile), 4600C3, 5000C, 5500C3, Penn 955, Tekota 300 (in deep water situations)
Rods: Shikari (not sure of the blank#), Lami 841, Tsunami TFSC661MH, Calstar 700XL, various light graphite blanks
Line: 8-15 lb. Power Pro with 30-40 lb. Big Game mono leader
Hooks: 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus & Eagle Claw Laser Sharp, 3/0 & 4/0 Kahle hooks

Sea Bass
Reels: Garcia Revo Inshore, 5500C3, 5000C, Pro Max, Penn 955
Rods: Various light graphite blanks, Tsunami TFSC661MH, Calstar 700XL
Line: 10-20 lb. Power Pro with 30-40 lb. Big Game mono leader
Hooks: 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 Gamakatsu Octopus

Black Fish
Reels: Avet SX, Tekota 300, Daiwa Sealine 20SLH, Trinidad 12N, Newell 220, Saltiga 15
Rods: Lami 963, Calstar 700L, 700XL, 700XLH, Tsunami TSMG661XXH, Ugly Stick GBU845
Line: 50 lb. Power Pro with 50-60 Big Game mono leader
Hooks: 3/0, 4/0 Virginia

I think I might start looking to give the fish more of a fair fight by scaling down some of this stuff and going lighter. After all, my main goal when I leave the dock is to enjoy the game. Enjoy the sport. If the fish are overmatched, where is the fun in that?

Tell me what you guys are doing & using...

This post edited by Savvy18 04:10 PM 09/06/2008

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of my fishing has been fresh water. Due to the fact of the trip and hasstle to find fishable water close to the bronx i switched. Lots of shore here within walking distance.

I enjoy the sport of fishing but im in it to put some fish in the freezer. Blues,bass,porgy, heck even sea robins "fillet the tail"

In fresh water fishing terms i am whats called a finesse fishermen. Light gear mostly. I have three setups.

Boat rod and reel. Penn GTI reel on a Tsunami trophy rod.
This is for the big fish. I even went tuna fishing with this setup. Caught Albacore and it did fine.

Porgy,fluke,flounder,seabass ect. Shamono Corvalas 300 on a 6'6 MH Ugly stick. A friend came to visit from down south. I took him out on a pb. He bought the setup then gave it to me before he left.

Surf rod, I picked up a Penn captiva cv 6000 reel that was on a cheap rod in Models. 30 bucks for the setup. I just bought a Tsunami air walk rod and its a decent setup.

There you have it. My gear is not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Alot of gear out there looks like it is made to lure and catch the fishermen and not the fish.

#5 ·
Savvy18 wrote:
janus...

I do have some stuff for sale. If you are looking for quality tackle, PM me.

I'm single and have no kids. What can I tell ya?

Savvy18,

Well that explains everything...but actually I'm pretty loaded with rods, tackle and reels. Not to mention every kind of bucktail you can think of having, I just don't get out enough to use them; but the temperature will soon be just right and big ones will be coming my way.

#6 ·
Savvy18 wrote:
I've been scouring the boards here on Noreast looking at all the discussions regarding tackle and methods of fishing and I asked myself... "Am I SPORT Fishing" or am I "OVERDOING" it?

Figured I would pose the same question to the rest of you...Maybe I can get a barometer of what I am doing right/wrong or more importantly, am I being FAIR TO THE FISH!!!

Here are "some" of the examples of gear and tackle that I am currently using for my "FAVORITE 4" local species:

Bass

Fluke
Reels: Garcia Revo Inshore (low profile), 4600C3, 5000C, 5500C3, Penn 955, Tekota 300 (in deep water situations)
Rods: Shikari (not sure of the blank#), Lami 841, Tsunami TFSC661MH, Calstar 700XL, various light graphite blanks
Hooks: 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus & Eagle Claw Laser Sharp, 3/0 & 4/0 Kahle hooks

Sea Bass

Black Fish
Reels: Avet SX, Tekota 300, Daiwa Sealine 20SLH, Trinidad 12N, Newell 220, Saltiga 15
Rods: Lami 963, Calstar 700L, 700XL, 700XLH, Tsunami TSMG661XXH, Ugly Stick GBU845

I think I might start looking to give the fish more of a fair fight by scaling down some of this stuff and going lighter. After all, my main goal when I leave the dock is to enjoy the game. Enjoy the sport. If the fish are overmatched, where is the fun in that?

You got "TACKLE-HO- ITUS" No cure for that!:)

#9 ·
Savvy, You've got everything covered and after fishing with you for many years I really don't think you can go much lighter. Your like me and like to have a nice fight with the fish and give them a chance.

I'll check up on my stuff and get a head count and post tomorrow what I use for what.

#10 ·
Savvy18 wrote:

Bass

Fluke

Sea Bass

Black Fish

First I must say you have some nice rods

I'm like you keep it light..Sport fishing = fun...

My gear is Calstar GX7 fluke, seabass & blackfish to 60' with a avet sx 35lb cortland blackspot

Gusa PURC70M ( my new calstar GFX700L )with a Shimano Calcutta 300 te with 35lb cortland blackspot for ocean fluke & Bass

Gusa SW70MH with a Avet SX with cortland blackspot for jigging fluke
Fla keys top water rod

St croix with a shimano calcutta 400 20lb P-line for Bass,& my Fla Keys top water rod..

Shikari MU665 Musky rod calcutta 400 20lb P-line Bass & Fla keys top water..

Gusa 70Mega Acid wrapped for Bass & blackfish...Fla Keys rod..top & bottom fish..Shimano Calcutta 300TE

Calstar GF700M & GF700ML deep wreck fishing & Fla keys bottom fish rods with an Avet MX & 65 lb cortland blackspot..

Seeker 6455H FOR Mahi Mahi & blackfin tuna fla keys with Avet 4/0 & shimano Tiraga 16...

I have plans to build a GUSA Mag & Wahoo Jr..The Mag for blackfish & the Wahoo for Tuna & the Keys..

#11 ·
Hey Rich,

That 300 Calcutta you showed me today was really sweet. Put the power handle on that and you are in business for bass fishing! The Cortland black spotted line looks promising to me. When do you think we'll get that?

The first coat of epoxy on the Seeker stick looks so good I almost took it home today! That is one original looking stick we built there. Won't be another one like it on the block....RIGHT???
:rolleyes::confused::)

#13 ·
I'll take a shot at answering that one Mako. Not sure if this is exactly what Savvy18 meant, but it's my translation. Fishing in 40 feet of H2O for fluke with a Penn 320GTi spooled with 30 lb. test line and any rod that fits that reel should be considered "UN" fair. The more suitable reel might be say a smaller version Abu Garcia, a 5500 maybe. I would consider that giving the fish a fighting chance. Also, I'm not sure horsing in a short sea bass from 70 feet of water is conducive to that fishs' chances of living. I did not graduate college as a Marine Biologist but I doubt that would be a good idea. I am only guessing that is what Savvy18 is trying to convey when he says he wants to rethink is tackle. After all, this is a sport and in any sport, the opposition must have a fair chance at winning too.

#15 ·
Savvy18 wrote:
Hey Rich,

That 300 Calcutta you showed me today was really sweet. Put the power handle on that and you are in business for bass fishing! The Cortland black spotted line looks promising to me. When do you think we'll get that?

The first coat of epoxy on the Seeker stick looks so good I almost took it home today! That is one original looking stick we built there. Won't be another one like it on the block....RIGHT???
:rolleyes::confused::)
Do you want to Buy the rights to that rod..

I told you ...You did such a great job with the tip action.. I cant build them fast enough.. Maybe I should pay you.

This post edited by CAPT RICHI 05:07 AM 09/08/2008

#17 ·
Sport Fishing: To me it is not a matter of giving the fish a fair chance to win. Rather I believe it is using tackle that is strong enough to subdue a reasonable fish...if you do not make mistakes. But if you do make a mistake, a poor knot or frayed leader, too much drag, or let the fish take you around something, or horse it in, ping...you lose.
I am using 15 lbs mono on 12 to 20 lbs class rods and usually Penn 965s. If I keep the line in good shape and play the fish intelligently, I should have no difficulty in landing anything I am like to run into in Long Island Sound. Those big bass included.

#19 ·
Savvy18 wrote:
janus...

I do have some stuff for sale. If you are looking for quality tackle, PM me.

I'm single and have no kids. What can I tell ya?

Hey even with all that quality gear you have, it's still cheaper than kids. Currently paying for colleges. Ouch.

If your looking to fish for sport, then getting that fish to the boat quickly, increases the odds that the fish lives another day when you release it. If your looking to catch and eat, Sav, you are loaded for bear.

#22 ·
kind of off topic but dont you think if you use very light gear you just wear the fish down too much and he will not survive...all you peole who use real light gear just kill fish for the most part...they can never get their wind back and end up getting eaten or just dieing so ill stick to my 50 lb line for bass and blues and 30 for fluke and 60 for blacks and 20 for porgies...and get them in within a reasonable time and release them if i dont want to kill'em

#24 ·
I agree with Quailoh, Im an Old Penn reel fan, big time. For most of my isnhore small species ie: seabass porgies and fluke I use a Capt Neil maximizer light spin rod 10-17lb 7fter paired with either a Penn 714 greenie or 722z. The 714 has 10lb stren braid and the 722 has 15lb power pro. I also use a G Loomis CBR845C which is a 7 rod 10-20lb up to 1oz paired with a Penn 4400ss spooled w/ 14lb mono. Its a crankbait rod, i did alot of fresh water fishing and use alot of that tackle for SW fishing. I have heavier outfits for bass and tog, but for the light inshore fish i want to give them a chance to beat me. its fun when that light rod bends and my Penn 714 "ultrasport" has line coming off it a bit :) That Penn 714 is a step up from the Ultralight reel
, so you have an idea how light i go.

This post edited by Slick56 05:04 PM 09/10/2008

#25 ·
Ya know what Rich, maybe the fact that the pinhookers all wanna build my rod means I am overdoing it with that rod...

Maybe you should scrap that Seeker!
:rolleyes:

To each his own. However, I am not buying into that whole argument about fishing so light I'm killing the fish. Take for example this scenario:

I'm fishing 100 feet of water at 17 Fathoms with my meat stick and a Daiwa Sealine 50H. It's a slammin' HOT bite. Big fish coming up all over the boat. I hook a baby black fish in the 10" range and crank him in like it's a 10 ounce sinker. What good is that gonna do that fish when he comes to the surface all blown up?

Consider this scenario:

I'm fluke fishing with the same set-up described above and 30 lb. mono. Because the tackle is so "meaty" I fail to detect the first slight strike of the fluke on my spearing/squid combo. He continues up my bait until the hook is down his throat. What are the chances that 19" fish you just caught is gonna live after you dislodge the 6/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook you undoubtedly had on that heavy duty set-up? I don't imagine he'll be in great shape.

My position is if the fish you release at the boat look like they are in good shape, they are. Have any of us ever followed a released fish to the bottom until it died? Nobody can say with absolute proof that the fish fought on light tackle are more likely to die. I can't even remember the last fluke I gut hooked while jigging with ultra-light tackle. How many fish have you seen come up without tails? Missing a chunk of meat from it's body? Missing an eye?

Somehow I don't think a fish is gonna croak at the bottom of the ocean because I used lighter tackle. Until that argument can be proven, it's as light as I can go for me!

#26 ·
Is there such a thing as SPORTFISHING here on NorEast? Every guy who uses 60lb test line says the same cra-, I don't want to kill the fish if I fight it too long. Orrr...I fish in rough areas....I fish to "catch the fish"....I fish to feed the family! That's NOT Sportfishing, it's called meat fishing. I have tagged many fish over the years, usally caught on 15-20 lb test Mono.And they seem to have survived pretty well to be caught again. Horsing in fish is worse for the fish. Did you know you can drown a fish? Thier Bladders can burst. You need heavy line for Fluke? I guess if you fish on Party boats, then you may need heavier line, to control fish. But if fishing from private craft or from shore don't need no 40-60lb lines. Ive caught Large Bass, Blues, Fluke, Blacks on 20 lb test for the past 45-50 years. So you lose a fish now an then, it's part of the fun, a challenge. If you have a decent rod and reel with qualty line, and tie good knots, change line often, check for nicks, and adjust the drag properly, you can catch nice fish and enjoy the runs. and YES can release the fish safely at the finish if you'd like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.