NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new bay boat. I now have a 16' Privateer SIDE console. I love the boat but it is a little wet in windy conditions. The wind picks up the spray and throws it at you. Another factor it has bench seats with swivels. I'm just tired or too old to keep stepping over those bench seats. I want a center console so I can walk around just a little. I have a bigger boat so I feel 17ft. is just about right. This will be a bay boat only-fishing by myself! Anyone with experience please give some feedback!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know how the Aquasport rides , but I have a 17' Seafox C.C..The boat rides dry. I was out Thursday on the sound with that 15-20 mph breeze and one foot chop . The boat handled nicely. My only complaint is that the factory scuppers are to say the least - cheap! Water backs up the deck when I have weight in the boat. Plan on replacing them with something better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
17ft Aquasport

I've an Aquasport 17ft CC with 100hp 4 stroke Yamaha. The boat zips around nicely in good conditions, but you do get beaten up when there's a chop. Also, there's not much freeboard. You also get sprayed when you have wind. This is probably the case with most CC's, unless you build a protected helm. This is a great bay boat and I tool around in Sound as well. I have no complaints. I'm usually fishing solo. It's the perfect size to get in tight to the points and shoreline - draws very little water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
AQUASPORT-17ft. any good?"

How about upgrading your Privateer. I've got a 18' CC with a 90 Tohatsu. Great boat, moves and handles real good, but ofcourse I get wet. This is a real bay boat with very little compartment space which means there's more space for you. Occasionally I take it out to the ocean and it's handled 3-4 foot chop. Has the space of a 19' or 20.' They're not real popular so finding one might be a problem. Take a look at privateerboats.com. I don't work for the company, just an enthusiastic boat owner.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hipshot - hmmm...what a coincidence. I had my boat out there for some repair work on the engine. They delivered back to me on Sat. I originally bought the boat from POE back in '96. They run a top-flight operation there. I can get the mechanics on the phone and get a full explanation of the problem. If they don't fix it the first time, they come and get the boat, fix the problem and bring the boat back to you at their cost. They aren't cheap, but they stand by their product and work. They have a used boat listing on their website.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Porgyman,
I keep a larger boat about 1/4 mi. further east behind the Mill Creek Inn. As the posting states, I'm thinking about an Aquasport and I spotted yours. I bought my Privateer from POE> Me and my family have been dealing with them on and off for over 45yrs! They are good, but as you said EXPENSIVE!
GOOD FISHING!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hipshot - do you want to make me an offer on my 17ft Aquasport? It's a '92 hull and a '99 Yami 100hp 4stroke (260 hrs). Always serviced and winterized at POE. The prior owner did the same. I have a '95 Loadrite trailer to go with it. I'm looking to size up. Great fishing boat, but not a great family boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a 17ft Aquasport, 1989, for about 5 years. It is a great boat & many times I've gone out on days when the guys with 20ft Mako's felt uncomfortable. A fried who had a 17ft Privateer couldn't go out on days that I felt comfortable in the chop. Much drier than most boats & if you trim the engine right, you can get a comfortable ride.
Mine is outfitted with a Mariner 115hp & runs 42mph max, with a SS prop.

3 issues I had with my boat. 1: the weight in the back has been an issue, so I moved the console forward exactly 11.5", which still allowed all the cables to reach & clearance. 2. The cutout at the back is low & wide & can get some water washing in, so I had a fiberglass guy build up the transom, narrowing the cut-out. 3. There was a trough at the transon to catch any water, however because of the weight issue, the scuppers were always below the waterline, so won't function as they should. I just filled in that trough & put in new scupper holes & now they are just over the waterline when the boat is at rest.
Best advice is to take it for a ride when it's windy & choppy to see if it suits you. Also look at the scuppers when the boat is in the water without anyone on it. If they are below the waterline, this may cause you some anguish.
Still the best 17ft boat I've ever been on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.