NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have a tank set up that i was breeding convict cichlids in and about 3 days ago i did a water change and cleaned the sponge filter and then yesterday i noticed that the fry started looking sick and the adult male convict didnt look too good either. the fry started getting thin and last night started dying off. i lost about half the fry already. what could be wrong?

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Reef Man

It has been many years but here goes.

Did you replace the filter or clean it with soap etc.

These are the simple causes.

Did the new water temperature equal the old water temperature?

Was the new water loaded with chlorine?

Was the new water too acid or too alkaline?

Like I said it's old logic. The gals or guys with the latest up to date info will be of more help.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

This message was edited by Captneilf on 3-17-02 @ 2:37 PM

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
martinman, i think you might have the answer. i lost all but about 5 of the fry and i moved the adults to my main cichlid tank and hopefully they will recover to breed again in the future.

thanks for the help everyone

This message was edited by Reef man on 3-18-02 @ 1:13 AM

· Registered
398 Posts
reef man,

when they spawn again (in 2-3 weeks with good feeding), DO NOT clean the sponge filter.

sponge filters are great for fry tanks, as they support a micro-biological community that is an excellent food source for newly hatched fry.

when you do clean your sponge filters, all you should do is squeeze them a few times in a bucket of water from the same aquarium. this will unclog the filter,yet permit enough of the good bacteria to remain and repopulate the filter.

reef man, i am so glad you didn't ask about reef tanks.

set,
opinari

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.