NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Woodcleft is impressive with its awesome brickwork, public dock, bronze statues and more but I miss the charm of some of the old.
Anyone ever tip a few in this joint???
I miss it.
Alan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Is it the back of the Sporty?

I remember Freeport back to when the Dolph-Inn was across from where Woodcleft Fishing Station is. When Guy Lombardo used to take Tempo over to the Jones' Beach Theater.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha ha haha , Yeah Bill thats the " Sporty" or the Sportsmans cafe. That joint was there for decades till it became a steakhouse last year. I liked it, had a friend who bartended and often rafted up to the boats in the back after a days fishing. Next to it to the right is the Skimmer clam guy, hes still there to my best knowledge & you'll save a few bucks buying a bushell from him, but he's mostly wholesale .
And the boat next to the Whaler is Bobbys C's Pointer he is a local yocal and a friend whos father owned " The Hells Belles" on of the donated antique crafts on display there on Woodcleft.
I havent had a beer @ Woodcleft since that joint closed. Most of the regulars went couple doors down { the name escapes me} but I never stopped in even once, I think maybe its too classy with its clean floors and all { sometimes at the Sporty youd be ankle deep in the canal @ high tides}.
With the sportys cliente consisting mainly of Bikers & Commerical fisherman and or Baymen there was never a dull moment!
Been in The Poop deck though now thats a joint thats been there for a while to say the least.
Last call @ The Sporty,
Oh & what was Guy Lombardos boats name again "Tempo" or " a1anda2" was it?
I saw G.Lombardos boat in the back of a hemmings motor news for sale about 5 years ago in need of restoration. Now thats one that should be on display on Woodcleft with the other vintage craft.
Heres to the old days!
Alan

This message was edited by Scalawag on 1-1-02 @ 6:57 PM

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I didn't drink at the Sporty, since we sailed from the Poop Deck Dock we drank with Edna & when she wan't looking ran around the corner to the Helm.
Kenny at Atlantic B&T was a regular Sporty. Now everyone hits Erharts.
Need to have a place with board floors. Once they get linoleum, they're too high class.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should stop in and say hello . The spoprty was wild n crazy, I never went there at night, wouldnt without a bullet proof vest anyways but daytime it was different , Saturdays was the best.
Roccus, yeah I think your right Tempo was the name of the boat.
Another place I remember as a kid was on the right of Woodcfeft fishing station over by Freeport park was a resturuant { and I think also another gasdock} Im suprised that its been vacant for couple decades now. There was once a thriving business there and it was really neat. I bet now that Woodcleft is minted out that location would do well for some sort of resturaunt or something, heck perfect for a marina.

Alan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Alan,
That was the Dolph-Inn. Kenny says that the Sporty was a nice place up to a few years before it closed. Then it hit the skids. It always looked like a bucket-of-blood place to me.

Roccus,
If you know Welk's license plate, you need to get out more or get on Jeopordy

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone on the canal would stop in for a beer in that place from time to time. I dont want to mention names because Im afraid they will kill me.. he he hah . It was always kinda crazy. Ive got a friend who went back with a chainsaw after being tossed out and carved the place up like scrimshaw. Never a dull moment.
Oh and ok the Doll-fin was over there between woodcleft and the park.. I think they had statues of dolphins out front or something I seem to remember.
Oh and Bill that liscence plate from a local celeberty like Guy lombardo was famous , heck maybe they'll name a street { or ave.} after him also!!
Hows Kennys doggie doing??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bill,

The Dolph-Inn does not ring a bell with me - but what about the Sea-Breeze restaurant? I remember that with sagging floors and fish mounts everywhere - just west of Charvin and east of the park at the foot of S. Long Beach? Was this another version of the Dolph-Inn?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Sea Breeze sounds familiar but I can't figure out now whether it was the Dolph-Inn or Sea Breeze on the end. I'll defer to my brother who is secretly reading, but not letting on.

Alan, Kenny had to put the old dog down but got a new one that's an absolute psycho. I took him for a walk two weeks ago & he decided to play. His idea of play is jump up and bite you on the flabby underside of your arm. Hurt like **** but he enjoyed watching me hop around. He's a lot of fun, just still in puppyhood. Kenny thought it was pretty funny too.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
voice from the shadows, my brother the phantom viewer (sounds like a pervert when I phrase it that way), says the Tuna Grill was down there too, but not waterfront

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.