NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got started on what seems to be a very long time consuming winter project ,I have poured sizes from 1/2 to 4 once bucktails and painted them in differant colors ,most are glow colors for deeper waters in the ocean .I am gonna be buying an airbrush soon to due up about 100 more to get through next fluke season if we have one

alot more to go ,we made 400 total so far and have 100 hooks still to mold

·
Registered
826 Posts
BEEN MAKING THEM FOR A LONG TIME..

I tend not to pour my own since i dont have the pot of the molds at this time anymore but i do paint my own and wrap my own.. It is fairly fun and simple. 12 pack, some buck, and some string and i can bang out alot in a night! kind of fun i think.. good luck buddy! send me 300 i will do them and send them back to you! haha

·
Registered
770 Posts
i buy white smilling bill style lead heads in bulk, and get bucktails from a hunting lodge out west my uncle owns. dye the hair with Rit faberic dye and tie them up. chartruse, black, white and a dark red color that prodused well at night. add a long few red saddle hackles to give um action. helps if you forgot the pork. the ones you bought look like the spros with the gamy hooks. very weak i've had them break on schoolies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aweiss4428 wrote:
notice you guys like sparsely tied tails.
I have found that if I tie to much hair on them my grub doesnt swim as nice as it should ,I only like small amounts of bucktail,I do tie some up w/ yak hair and tie the thick but they only come out when fishing is slow and I need an edge

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
I have 2 tails I cut of some deers this past hunting season so I guess when I have some time I'm going to give it a try

Some of those pics look really good..even better than the Spros

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
catfishhunter wrote:
aweiss4428 wrote:
I have found that if I tie to much hair on them my grub doesnt swim as nice as it should ,I only like small amounts of bucktail,I do tie some up w/ yak hair and tie the thick but they only come out when fishing is slow and I need an edge

On those banana's (in my pic) I always add porkrind.
More than enough bucktail!;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I trade off w/ a butcher for my tails I give him one buck tail for every tail he saves me ,I am having a bad year when it comes to deer so I only got 2 tails on my own.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice stuff guys!!

This is an old picture of some fluke balls I make. I machined out a Do-it mold of cannonball sinkers to accept a second eye with swivel attached. These have caught fluke up to 12lbs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
aweiss4428 wrote:

Everything that I have read, from Fly experts such as Bob Clouser and Lefty Groh, say that sparse tied flies work best. I have just started tying my own, and try to follow what they say.

This post edited by jwall29 01:36 PM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I guess I like a denser buck for deeper waters to slow it down a bit.

jwall, do a search there's a bunch of places. NJtackle capecod tackle probably, do it molds themselves, terminal tackle

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.