NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy - any idea how the ling fishing has been this week? Any of the Sheepshead boat fishing ling? Any of them fish at night? How about out of Jersey? I've heard good things about the Sea Fox. Water temps seem about right for the ling bite to start picking up.

MC

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi PorgyMan,

Yes, if you are looking to take a few of those delicious critters home? This is the time!

The past few days I?ve been tautoging and culled a few lings on green crabs...even on sticky bottom!

I also noticed a few fishers rigged with fish strips and clams casting away from the rubbles (search for soft bottom) and caught several lings!

Hope this information helps! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I think right now they are "all" going for Blacks. I think there are only 3 boats sailing, the Pastime Princess, Ocean Eagle, and the Pilot. I may be wrong about this though. Why not just go Blackfishing?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
PorgyMan,

If you are on a blackfish trip and you targeting ling - you will NOT be mugged. ;)

You could have the best of both worlds... because there will be tautog and ling in the mix. If the Capt. anchors dead on the structure... you will get blackfish... and if he is off a little... the ling fish will be all over your bait.

You can?t go wrong. Just dress accordingly and you will have a lot of fun. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Want ling? The Dauntless out of Point Pleasant is a good bet. They fish the wrecks off the Jersey coast year round and if the ling are biting, they will catch 'em. Just get there early on a weekend, as even during the winter the boat can get railed.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Was out on saturday the 5th...targeting blackfish and ling...well once we set sail we find out that the boat had no crabs. Apparently the boats supplier stopped for the season. Fished clam bait all day. Fished 17, Battlegrounds, and Scotland. Captain tried his hardest to find us fish but all we really were catching was spiny bow-wows. A few blackfish were caught, I had one short :(
Some ling came over as well...I had two small specimens. Lots of dogfish. Also quite a few conger eels were caught. Oh and lots of dogfish.
Actually thinking about going into hibernation for the rest of the winter.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out on the Nighthawk out of Belmar on Sat. Nasty trip...strong south winds and lots of 4-6 ft rollers. Anchoring was not easy. We stopped at a couple of wrecks and then went in, which no one was complaining about. Only a few ling came up. There were lots of dogfish to go around though. South winds, water temp, and incoming storm doomed this trip. The current didn't seem too bad even though we were on a new moon.

MC

·
Registered
400 Posts
i fished last week 2 days on a sheepshead bay boat, and quite a few ling were caught, but the majority of the catch was blackfish. those guys fishing with bergall strips did well. the blacks are still there and biting! i hope this keeps up for a few more weeks!!!--trini

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.