NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I myself have not, used em as bait a lot.

But my buddy did pull a few decent size ones, ate them and raved how good they were.

Sometimes know as sea perch, I think?

Jack will correct me...;)

This post edited by baywatch 10:01 PM 02/08/2008

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
Whats wrong with bergals?
Taste great!!!! Less filling!!!

This year it looks like it's going to be Bergals,Doggies and searobbins....im not touching skates

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
Gaucho wrote:
Whats wrong with bergals?
Taste great!!!! Less filling!!!

This year it looks like it's going to be Bergals,Doggies and searobbins....im not touching skates

Skates are soooooooooooooo good. That's all my mom wanted. Nice big skate cleaned right and cooked in korean hot sauce...
bottle of soju...

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
We always keep the big ones we catch out on Cox' ledge, they are good eating. Skates are also very good eating, if you know how to "filet" them. The meat has the consistency of scallops and tastes very similar.

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Never needed to eat one before

But i know that Kobi on the Viking makes a great fish chowder with them. The way the 2008 reg's are shaping up we may all be eating them this year
. Thats if they don't put size/bag limits on them as well

·
Registered
41 Posts
keep them alive

cunners are worth more money when sold alive than any other fish.You must have a commercial food fish licence from the nys dec and can only sell to licenced dealers.Depending on the time of year and water temperture and water depth there are certain tricks to keeping them alive.If these fish cost 3 times the price of just docked yellow finn tuna I would say many people are missing the boat.I have made 3 trips this year just targeting cunners.The 4,5,6 pounders never stay alive but the 2,3,4 pounders do if you know the tricks.And yes I did say 6 pound cunner. I have the pictures to prove it.Bigger than alot of blackfish.CAPTAIN RICHARD WRIGHT SEAHAG2 CHARTERS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.