NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bet he's not a happy camper nowadays...

Instead of opening up discussion with surfers who surf North Point in Montauk, a group of 8 surfers were taken to court for surfing in the "no-swimming" area. The judge ruled that surfing is not the same as swimming, and the case has been dismissed.

Effectively, surfers are now welcome at any and all no-swimming beaches on Long Island. Surfers rejoice!

For the record, I am a surfer. I DO NOT think that surfers should be allowed at ALL no-swimming beaches on LI, as there should be some designated for fishermen only. However, because of this lawsuit, surfers can now legally surf pretty much anywhere on LI. I ain't going to complain, but a better solution for fishermen could have been reached if intelligent discussion was held between the two groups. Oh well! Surfers rejoice!!!

· Registered
63 Posts
Spudders wrote:
Bet he's not a happy camper nowadays...

Instead of opening up discussion with surfers who surf North Point in Montauk, a group of 8 surfers were taken to court for surfing in the "no-swimming" area. The judge ruled that surfing is not the same as swimming, and the case has been dismissed.

Effectively, surfers are now welcome at any and all no-swimming beaches on Long Island. Surfers rejoice!

For the record, I am a surfer. I DO NOT think that surfers should be allowed at ALL no-swimming beaches on LI, as there should be some designated for fishermen only. However, because of this lawsuit, surfers can now legally surf pretty much anywhere on LI. I ain't going to complain, but a better solution for fishermen could have been reached if intelligent discussion was held between the two groups. Oh well! Surfers rejoice!!!

Classy post

This post edited by RIPopperman 11:23 AM 05/14/2008

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Spudders wrote:

Care to disclose the source of your "WISDOM"??? Or are we just supposed to assume that you have lobbied and sucessfully won such a "rousing" victory for your kind ????

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judge set a legal precedent on LI, surfing is not the same as swimming. Could be overturned in the future, we'll see.

I'm just sayin' this is what happens when groups don't talk and resort to legal battles and name-calling instead of coming to a compromise. Thats all.

And here's what I really think:

This place would only get surfed on the biggest E to SE swells anyway that wrap around the point. BUT, now that its had so much publicity, you're going to start seeing more surfers here than you ever would have. Plus, on top of it all, this place would normally only get surfed by guys who were in the know, and probably respectful to fishermen. Now, because of the publicity again, the place may be overrun on some barely-surfable swells. Not good.

willy has just show some ridiculous hostility towards surfers on this board, for seemingly no reason. This post is not classy, and neither are his.

· Registered
3,218 Posts
Spudders wrote:
willy has just show some ridiculous hostility towards surfers on this board, for seemingly no reason. This post is not classy, and neither are his.

Spudders. I agree, Old man Willy has been stubborn and outright nasty to Surfers. I saw it 1st hand on this board too. I think he deserves to lose this battle. I hope Montauk pt gets overun by surfers and annoys the **** out of the MSA. IMO they are stuck up and nasty, a newb like me got the cold shoulder and dirty looks when i fished there. Well, this is my opinion....take over, surf and stick it in their nose

· Registered
2,312 Posts
I do not know enough about this issue to comment on it, but I know Willie and MSA do alot for fighting and protecting the rights of fisherman.

I have been to a couple of meetings that Willie has led and spoken to him a couple of times, he is very friendly and helpful. I think Willies style of writing on this board sometimes may not come off the same as Willie is in person.

He is out there doing good things for fisherman, I wish more people would get involved and do something as opposed to complaining on a computer. When the anti-fishing groups , etc , etc impede on our rights even more , we are all going to be sorry we didnt do more when we had the chance.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
likeitreallyis wrote:
unfortunately someone will get hurt and they may try and ban both...

The only possible way I see someone getting hurt is by a fistfight. I've surfed when they are fishermen around and fished when guys are surfing... It takes a special kind of person to hurt someone in those situations. Read: ignorant a$$clown

· Registered
3,169 Posts
Hi everyone; many people have beaten a ticket. If anyone thinks this is the end of it they are very mistaken. If all the facts were know to the public the surfers would not look like the good guys, but what they are really all about. To those who don't know if the surfers win no boats will be allowed close to shore on the north and south shore in this state park. They have talked about working with Peta to get rid of fishing.
Willie

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
willyyoung wrote:
Hi everyone; many people have beaten a ticket.

They have talked about working with Peta to get rid of fishing.
Willie

First statement is quite true... all the 8 surfers did was beat a ticket so far. However, a precedent has been set.

Second statement is laughable.

Just like the Recs and Comms issue, this SHOULD NOT be Surfers vs. Fishermen. However, because of who has taken charge in these situations, that is exactly what we have.

And just like the Recs vs. Comms issue, everyone is going to get screwed in the end if we keep fighting each other. Keep up the good fight, Willy!!!

· Registered
3,169 Posts
Spudders: The surfers have 50% of Montauk State park ,but they want the whole park. How can we allow this to happen? If you think you surfers are not against fishing in general read N.Y.S. Parks rules & regulations, part 377 section on the use of transportation on the water part 1 (page 23) Are you a puppet who just follows the leaders of Surfriders and finds this laughable? Many people I called today did not find this so funny. Now for the bad news you and your friends lost.
Willie

This post edited by willyyoung 07:07 PM 05/15/2008

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Willy, I applaud you for continuing to use your time in this fight against other watermen. Regardless of the outcome, I will not lose sleep over it. I fear the day when both surfers and fishermen are restricted access because they refused to work together. Good luck in your ensuing battle. You are truly doing no fishermen any favors.

· Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've surfed North Point only 2 times. I have fished it about half a dozen. I am from NJ, it is a hike for me.

I understand Willy Young has done some very great things for you LI surf guys in terms of access. This is why this situation bothers me so much.

Surfers and surf fishermen have for more interests in common then Willy will ever acknowledge. At the end of the day, access is probably the most important thing to both surfers and surf fishermen. Both groups could benefit greatly by working together.

I am done with this topic. It turns my stomach that fishermen and surfers can't work together. My friends and I, a bunch of guys in our early 20s, all FISH and SURF regularly. Willy is a man with an outdated view on this topic. Surfers and Fishermen better get their acts together, forget the petty differences, and fight for access together.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.