NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Any TREE guys in the house???

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Ballyhoooo 
#1 ·
Need advice about a plum tree. This tree is huge, healthy and beautiful but may have to come down.:( The root system is uplifting part of a fieldstone patio. Just got an estimate for yearly pruning and it's almost $500. now including other smaller trees and dump fee. There are hundreds of shoots and it needs to be tamed LOL

I've had it shaped and cabled thru the years but this year it really took off.
I hate to cut it down. In April it looks like a popcorn tree, then flowers turn pink and then huge green leaves and plums, finally maroon leaves in fall. It's a mess maker but worth it :rolleyes: LOL When it's covered in snow and uplit with spot floods, it's breathtaking.

So my questions are can it be uprooted to trim roots? Can I donate it somewhere and will it live in the transplant? Even if I stump grind it down, the roots are still lifting fieldstones. The tree guy says pruning has to be done in Feb. if I'm going to keep it? So, I need to figure this out soon.....any suggestions? :confused: I took some pics and will try to post them too.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
canyonfvr wrote:
Bally,

do you have a fire place :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Why yes cany, I have a few
and now I have to show you the outdoor one that's beneath part of the tree almost torching it LMAO
Trying to find pics of the flames shooting out the chimney...first pic shows branches above chimney...

I am a firebug you know

You can barely make out some branches in the night photos but I use this year round and the poor tree is gonna ignite one of these times
I may have to rebuild belgian blocks as they have glowed and blown out some mortar ...thanks for the ideas guys and keep them coming
I think I better start a mason post too before it topples over
Work party at Bally's.....bring wood, chainsaws and belgian blocks!!!!!!! ;)

This post edited by Ballyhoooo 08:45 PM 02/10/2008

Attachments

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thanks chevy, will do!How long do these trees live anyway?

Gary, I already have a grill and that fireplace holds a lot of wood! LOL ...gonna take the pic out, I'll add it back when it looks better ;)

Discussion starter · #19 ·
SORTIE wrote:
Ballyhoooo wrote:
Work party at Bally's.....bring wood, chainsaws and belgian blocks!!!!!!! ;)if you want to ice the tree, I got the saw...Stihl 029. someone else bring a chipper for the small branches...half-day project, at most

no charge for you Ballyhooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks Skip for your generous offer
Your big frame holds a big heart LOL ;) Thanks also to everyone else and your calls and suggestions!

The tree saga continues and has gotten pretty funny. I had a crew here this morning for another estimate...I must look pretty stoopit :confused:as they told me to let the plum tree stay and die but they would uproot and cart off my much smaller weeping cherry trees and japanese maples free of charge.
All these trees and bushes are healthy and thriving not to mention mature and valuable LMAO...I had them planted as saplings and they're kinda like pets I've nurtured and watched grow? I expedited their departure off my property wondering where honest business men are anymore?

Crew 2 and I mutually agreed to hold off later today with growing inclement weather traffic concerns.

It's snowing now and I put the spot floods on early so they wouldn't have to "cook" off the snow and ice. The plum tree was here before the patio and is doing what comes naturally and stretching

Don't think I have the heart to cut her down in her healthy bodacious prime :( LOL .... iyiyiyi...1Dogshy's idea of adding dirt and rebuilding patio and fireplace is sounding real good now
:)

I'll go out soon and try to get the snow pics of all specimens tonight...am I the only one that thinks trees are cool without the summer foliage :confused: Living where we do with the four seasons of fishing and weather is what shapes us all? LOL...I could never live in Fla. with just palm trees and no change of seasons
k...pm thing is blinking...bbl :)

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Speaking of triple trees LOL ...update on mine: first pic Feb 22nd I think, the day it was suppose to get pruned, we got good snow

Got on my knees to take pic from base of tree and got tackled and pinned with kisses by a ferocious canine!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.