NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have over the last couple year since moving to NYC become rather adapt at putting on guides from using Public tranportations and subways so I'm now going to give it a shot and try to build my first rod this winter. If I am going to build a rod, I want it to be a rod that I'll laugh at every time I see it and hopefully others will get a kick out of it. Are there any decent heavy saltwater blanks (for bass or bottom fishing on party boats) that come in silly colors like pink (with purple wraps), purple, or fluorescent green? I could not really find much except fishinggirls, but they sell only complete rods. Can I just buy any blank and then spray paint or paint over it and then put the epoxy over it? Is this a bad idea to paint the blank? Will the paint just crack or effect the action significantly? If not, is there a particular kind of paint to use?

This post edited by chinookhead 12:38 PM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rodwinder, but I did already check them out and they don't seem to have any in pink that are as heavy as I'd like...either Mh-heavy would do with heavy proably being preferable. The heaviest pink blank I saw there is:
SPSWB7M-PINK 7'15-25lb.Fast Medium butt.8 11 $18.95
That is really cheap so I might also build on that one also for inshore sea bass, but I'm not sure if it'll even be adequate for that...do u think it would be able to handle 6-8oz sinkers or inshore sea bass trip like on the Captain Al or Superhawk?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rodwinder, I agree with u that it sounds too light, but I like Billy's idea of cutting and extending it. To extend it do u just slide a more narrow blank into the handle? My pink "bat" that'll swing 10 pounders with no sweat hopefully.

Also, is the concensus that I can't or that it is inadvisable to paint a plain black blank for example? What are the issues with doing this?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GUSA!

Billy, why didn't u mention to me these GUSA blanks that u have been selling that are available in such "pretty" colors?
http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=80514
I may not even get a barbie doll pink one, and actually build a reasonable looking rod (still wild) that won't just be a joke, but a beatiful piece? Plus, it sounds like these are pretty good quality blanks. I'm going to be calling these guys at GUSA to see if I can get something special.

This post edited by chinookhead 10:30 PM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Because these rods are not made for PB Bluefishing. You can call GUSA, but you won't be able to order through them. They'll hopefully refer you back to me if you want to order. Very soon they WILL have rods which can be used for PB BLuefishing, with graphite butts & glass tips. Actually, they do have all glass rods which would work out, bu tI haven't seen them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.