NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any boats that go after red fish (ocean perch)? I saw alot of them on the Bunny Clark site, I've seen a few pulled up before but not alot. When I buy fish at the store I really like it and would love to catch some myself.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
yes they are good eats, I think they only get up to about 3 pounds or so, maybe a little bigger, never saw a boat target them specifically but I've caught quite a few, all on the Bunny, and mostly in deep water.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you want to go after some reds, try Eastman's and/or Gauron's in late March before the cod season opens up.

I took two trips the last week of March in 07. The boats were going after haddock, but we caught far more of the Reds.

On Gaurons, I filled over half of a 70 qt cooler with them and probably had close to 10 lbs of perch filet, which is a lot of those little things. Great eating.

Todd

This post edited by thatstodd2 04:47 PM 02/13/2008

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hate to be the party pooper here, but keep in mind that redfish, members of the scorpionfish family (Sebastidae), grow extremely slowly, and take an awful long time to get to eatin' size--or sexual maturity for that matter. If you look at tim tower's website, he often remarks that a 2-3lb redfish is likely 35 years old! So just keep that in mind when thinking about a charter to target these little fellas! After all, look at what happened to their rockfish relatives on the west coast...

Incidentally, it's interesting to know that we actually see two species of redfish in the GOM: Sebastes marinus (skinnier, kind of pale red colored; much more common), and Sebastes fasciatus (Acadian Redfish), which are fuller and more brightly colored. The latter are actually an endangered species, although it's not often distinguished from the marinus species.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Willy

Is the sebastes fasciatus in any way related to the carcharodon carcharias? If I'm not mistaken both are in the squalidae family of squalus. Perhaps squalus ancanthias?

Frank

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ah, the Squalus acanthias. We currently have three of those buggers in a tank in the lab--the things practically jump out of the water looking for food when you get near 'em;).

Did you hear that the man who gave Hooper water when he explained the possibility of a large squalus, possibly Ongimomus, in Amity waters died the other day? Sad times.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Frank, have you been swallowing your chew? Again? You're supposed to spit it out. That "spitters are quitters" saying doesn't apply here.

The redfish would be a worthy quory if they got to the size of west coast cow cod. Now those are some serious animals. I understand they used to get over 40lb in the good old days. I think they are protected in the US waters now, so you have to get on a LR boat if you want to kill a couple. I mean, keep a couple. You're going to kill them no matter where you hook them, they don't release very well.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Oh yes, cutting a pile of reds always turns into good-happy-fun-time for all. They really sharpen your skill with the knife, and the mates always appreciate the opportunity to improve upon their competence.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I think the differences between them are very subtle, nor is it commonly known that there are two species (I didn't learn about it until last year).

And Mike (mako), if you suppose I do catch one, and actually am able to identify it, what do I do now, as I hold an endangered species with a 9/0 treble through the side of its head and eyeballs popping out of its skull?
But as I said, I think that they are truly uncommon to catch, so it isn't really an issue. You can't target them, and if you do ever see one, it will likely be dead (makes you wonder why it has an ES listing in the first place,does it not?).

1: S. marinus
2: S. fasciatus
3. Any guesses? I sure as **** can't tell...but given that s. fasciatus is endangered, I'll go with the other one;).

This post edited by Codfisha15 12:43 PM 02/15/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I remember that day on the B.C., end of June (26th, last marathon of the Spring, I think).Never saw so many big redfish, probably never will. Some of those fish were hitting jigs that were over twice their size. Lots of nice hake on that drift also. Ian's hands were quite a mess cutting all those reds. I didn't get home till almost 1am but I still cooked and ate those fillets before I went to bed. One day, while we were offshore quite a ways, we stopped on a really high pinnacle to take a look, it was loaded with fish on the screen, both sides. I was told they were all redfish but we never fished, just looked at the screen and I had to be content with hearing tall tales of times that they fished it.

This post edited by jonthelawyer 03:24 PM 02/16/2008

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.