NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi Al,

Im just starting w/ a saltwater outfit I picked up a couple weeks ago. Trying to learn how to cast & pick up whatever tips I can. Been wanting to do it for a few years since Ive fished allongside FF guys while they were catching. It always looked like fun.

· Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Can anybody offer any tips for flyfishing for weaks?

Typically, April and May I jig them in 14 to 20 feet of water off ocean beach. Later in the season I catch them on jigs in the shallower water off Sayville/Bayport and Hecksher, usually 5 to 10 feet, during the day. At night I catch them around the dock lights, near the surface. I have also found them on the down current side of bars, but not with enough regularity to make a specific trip to fly fish for them there. We keep a 9 wt rod on the boat for when the opportunity arises, but I would like to take it out a little more this year.

· Registered
38 Posts
Hello Crazy..Iv'e been fishing in fresh water/fly rod for a while now,finally got into saltwater last season and i'm hooked! Just picked up a new rod the other day,planning on hunting slobs this spring!! Wait till ya see what i've been tying!!

· Registered
1,022 Posts
i love the fly for spring stripers in little neck. on some days i can catch over fifty using green clousers. more fun for the little guys than spinning tackle. i also landed a 90lb tarpon in costa rica on the fly. after that i'm hooked for life. good luck to all........

· Registered
2,776 Posts
I fish from the beach in Rocky Point and have a small boat out of Mt.Sinai, just started playing with the fly rod. Haven't landed a keeper bass on a fly yet but broke off a few nice size fish last summer. Had a lot of fun playing with blues, and plan to try for falsies this Fall. I'm certainly not a purists and go back to the spinning gear or baitcast when the wind pipes up, but I sure do love that fly fishing and hope to improve my skills this summer.

Striper77

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice, we have quite a few flyrodders here? I just needed to know if I was going to waste my time posting fly fishing reports.

Now that I see a bunch of fly guys? Hang in there now because things is going to start pretty soon? If you are not already taking advantage of the Connetquot fishing? the official trout season is about to open in two weeks, the weakfish and stripers are also within the few weeks apart. :)

Just wondering? what kind of flies are you planning to use?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doughboy wrote:

Can anybody offer any tips for flyfishing for weaks?

Typically, April and May I jig them in 14 to 20 feet of water off ocean beach. Later in the season I catch them on jigs in the shallower water off Sayville/Bayport and Hecksher, usually 5 to 10 feet, during the day. At night I catch them around the dock lights, near the surface. I have also found them on the down current side of bars, but not with enough regularity to make a specific trip to fly fish for them there. We keep a 9 wt rod on the boat for when the opportunity arises, but I would like to take it out a little more this year.

Hello Doughboy,
If you are planning to hunt weakfish along your fishing grounds? here are some basic fly tips you should be trying? The Ocean beach in the GSB is a well known weakfish haunt! If you are connecting weakies during the daylight by the deep pockets? I strongly recommend that you get an early start during the first light and find a drop off by the flats! During the month of April and May, the fish are feeding on sandeels and spearing and the best way to fool them is by casting a yellow deceiver or clouser with a sinking line! Work the bottom with an intermediate 3? strips! The action can be explosive for awhile and afterwards they will move into the deep pockets.

Let?s talk about the shallower water of Sayville/Bayport and Hecksher? This is another shallow water spot for quality weakies! Here I would flycast an ?intermediate line? with a yellow deceiver or half & half. This is like sight fishing? Simply work around pods of bait and once you see them spurting around?. Immediately cast in front of skittish pod and you will get a pick up! ;)

Also?. You mentioned nighttime weakfish along the docks and bright lights. This happens to be one of my favorite types of fishing. I usually cast sliders and poppers along the lights with a floating line. If the fish are feeding on peanut bunkers, I will also use a shiny yellow deceiver and work it slowly! This usually does the trick and you will be able to watch the aggressive take!

Hope this helps? Tight Loops!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BD001 wrote:
I've been struggling with a fly rod for a few years now. It's tough to stick with when the rest of the guys on the boat bait fishing or fishing deep are out catching me 4 or 5 to 1.

That's a very good point BD001, but not always necessarily! There is a time and place for flyfishing and there are times where a flyfisher will outcatch a regular fisherman 10 to 1!

Like any other sport, the more you practice… the less "struggling" and the better you will be at it!

In addition, it's a good idea to take lessons before you start building bad habits. The legendary Fly master (Lefty Kreh) once said to me…

"Crazy, the more proficient you are with the long rod… the more you will appreciate the art of flyfishing"!

It's funny how the same words creeps out of me every time a novice asks me the same questions. Bottom line, it's all about the art and making the right presentation!

Tight Loops,

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spp1112,

Thanks for pulling me out of my forum to answer your question. :)

I replied:
The Niss. River is a popular flyrodder's haunt and it holds some very impressive bass during the first few hours of the ebb tide! Any intermediate line tipped with a Clousers, ½ & ½ or deceivers in the peanuts or sandeel patterns will do the trick! Also, during the quiet / low light conditions… a floating line with a slow working slidder or popper (2/0 - 3/0) will give you some explosive takes! ;)

Hope this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.