NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the deal:
I found a boat for sale that I really like(fishing
machine) used and in tip top shape.the only problem is the engine, it's an OMC 175 inboard. it's a little worn out but that's the reason why I'm getting a good price on this deal( a steal)
according to a boat dealer I know .my question is:
how expensive is it to change the whole thing with a rebuild one? is it possible to change it &
put a car engine in there (don't laugh,lol)
my uncle owns an engine & transmission shop,that's why I'm asking :)
or change the set up & just put an outboard in there? I hope i did not drive you crazy with these questions.
thanks in advance.

hookem_cookem

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hey Hooken cookin,

I dont think OMC makes inboards, must be an IO. If thats the case the OMC IO's really sucked. I know because I blew one up this spring. They need transom mount shift cable upgrades and extra adjustment even with that expect to clash gears while shifting.
you cant go with a car engine. Expect to swap in a new motor/drive, controls @ around 8 grand with labor, so long, Alan

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
I agree, don't waste your time on this boat. The reason why you are getting a good price is that it will turn into a money pit and suck your wallet dry. OMC never knew how to build a reliable I/O. An inside joke in the tow-boat industry is that the I/O stands for "money IN your wallet OUT into theirs".

Start looking for another boat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner of this boat gave me the wrong info the
first time.It's an outboard omc engine with only
50 hours on it.
do you still think it's bad deal??
thank you

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
What make? How many feet? What horsepower? What year? What style hull? What is included? What did he say is wrong with the engine?

Let us know and we will give you some great advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi doctorfish & scalawag....
How can expect an answer if you guys don't know
the make & model etc... :) (stupid me,sorry)
here it is:
1985 25' mercruiser walkaround,225 hp OMC rebuild
in 1999 (50 hrs up to today on clock)fuel capacity: 150 gallons,sleeps 4,It has built-in dock lights, five fish boxes, Loran, Fish-Finder,
Compass, Stereo, TV/Radio, and Marine Radio.
So what do you guys think?the boat is really clean.saw it yesterday as a matter of fact.
how much would you guys think the value of this boat is,and is worth?so I can make an offer.
As it turns out, the owner is an old friend of mine,I have not seen him for way too many years.
thanks for the help.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
I know someone with a similiar boat for sale. It's a 1985 Wellcraft with a 1998 225 Suzuki. Fully loaded & rigged for offshore. He started asking around $20,000 last year but had zero offers. Now he is down to around $14,000 and he is starting to get some looks. The boat has been at busy dealerships on consignment, in Newsday, etc... Based upon that I would say that if the engine on the boat you are looking at is mechanically sound, the retail is somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000.

In your originally message you mentioned that the engine was worn out. But later you said it is rebuilt with only 50 hours on it. The exact condition of that engine would make or break the value of this boat. The BIG question is this;

How many hours will you get out of her before you need to invest big $$ to either repair or replace her? Without having a certified mechanic make this judgement, it's hard to tell you for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.