NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up somr floor leveling compound so I can try making my own jig molds, but the only size they carried was a 50 lb bag, and I didn't want to get that much. I talked to the guy there, and he suggested using plaster. I know that I've heard (on this board) about using plaster, but I never heard exactly how.
My question is, how do I use the plaster to make a mold? Do I use the same technique as when using floor leveling compound? (which is to mix some compound, pour it in a box, spray the jig with non-stick cooking spray, and then put it halfway into the compound. When it dries, spray the compound and jig with the spray again, and then pour more compound on top, and leave dry, then you can take apart the two halves.)
Is it the same way, or is there a different way to use plaster?
Thanks

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
808 Posts
you can use plaster of paris and 25%port-land cement. this makes the mold harder.
i use a light coat of vaseline jelly and you's marble in 4 corners.pour 1/2 mold let dry valentine other 1/2 half pour the last 1/2.

This message was edited by sandman on 3-5-02 @ 4:59 PM

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whoops...sorry. You did make a spelling mistake, but I'm also stupid. When I just re-read what you said, you did say vaseline at first, and then you said "valentine". Somehow, when I read it the first time, my eyes just picked up valentine, and they skipped over vaseline...lol.
Sorry about that...lol. Oh yea...and keep your mind on the keyboard when you type for now on. ;)
Thanks for the info.

~spinfreak~

G

·
I use "SAVOGRAM" brand "level Best' floor leveling compound, found in 4.5 lb boxes for $5.75
keep looking at more home renovation stores like Lowes, Home Depot etc. I know for a fact "True Value" stores here have it...
One box makes multiple molds

Maury

This message was edited by Raven on 3-10-02 @ 8:19 PM

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I tried using the plaster with the cement mixed in. I had to mix up 3 batches just to get the bottom half of the mold. The first 2 batches turned too hard, too fast. I've never worked with this stuff before, so can someone give me any info as to how much mix and water to use? If I keep going at this rate, it'll be cheaper just to buy my jigs in the tackle shop...lol.
~thanks~

~spinfreak~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.