NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICA'S WOES

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 300 million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton- picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it.

No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a SPEAKER, who stood up and criticized G.W. Bush ALONE for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it. The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow Democrats, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.

I can't think of a single domestic problem, from an unfair tax code to defense overruns, that is not traceable directly to those 545 people

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair. If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red. If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them in IRAQ.

There are no insoluble government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exist disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation" or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible. They, and they alone, have the power. They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees. We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Voting the current 545 members out of office won't fix our problems. It's only going to repeat itself with the next group of lying cheats.

See, there's this button in every politicians brain. I call it the idiot button. It usually gets triggered once voted into office. I don't know if it's a chemically or mechanically triggered. One thing is for sure, and it happens to every politician. I don't believe that they are born with this mysterious button. Maybe it's inserted in them like some sort of matrix. It's an extremely powerful button that turns anyone to a walking cancer. Believe me, I've seen this first hand on an episode of Josie and the pussycats.

They may start out with the best intentions, but in a matter of minutes their intelligence level gets reduced to a small piece of balsa wood.

This post edited by Lattitudechange 09:48 AM 01/29/2008

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I think politicians should be paid a whole lot more than they get paid now....( waiting for incredulous looks from the crowd:rolleyes:

My reason is this, at higher pay, there is an incentive for private sector people who are successful to compete for the job. Of coarse there are exceptions like Bloomberg, but as a whole, the quality of people running for office would go up.

Secondly, there would be less influence from lobbyists and the like if they can't " buy" a vote.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well said, and it's up to us vote the bad ones out.

Part of the problem may be short term thinking for long term problems. Politicians are looking towards the next election, two or four years away, instead of long term solutions. Another is special interest money, this is what drives them. You can't get re-elected without substantial money which require favors in return.

One question regarding the original post: Is the budget subject to a veto? If so, a two-thirds majority for override would require bi-partisan support and it wouldn't happen. I could be wrong, but I don't think Clinton used a veto in '94, he simply refused to sign an unbalanced budget forcing a gov't shut down. Of course we all know how he spent his free time after that.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
elimination of political parties would go a long way towards accountablity in their voting record. Let each candidate stand on their own without any political affiliation.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
PURSUITWA wrote:
I agree with almost all of that. But there are things that are beyond their control, like global demand for oil,that have inflationary implications here in the US.
But do they not control our ability to tap into our own domestic oil reserves, therefore forcing us to deal with countries we might not otherwise have to deal with in quite the same way?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Scott1280 wrote:
PURSUITWA wrote:
I agree with almost all of that. But there are things that are beyond their control, like global demand for oil,that have inflationary implications here in the US.
But do they not control our ability to tap into our own domestic oil reserves, therefore forcing us to deal with countries we might not otherwise have to deal with in quite the same way?

Yes and no. Butthat was just one example. Weather related inflation ( think drought) is another. Like I said, I agree with almost all of that but there are some things exogenous to the U.S. that are beyond our control and that of the elected leaders control.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Scott, I believe tapping the reserves to lower prices would be a temporary help and would leave us very vulnerable should a real oil crisis develop eventually leading to even higher prices and shortages

wikipedia wrote:
[edit] Background
Access to the reserve is determined by the conditions written into the 1975 Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA), primarily to counter a severe supply interruption. The maximum removal rate, by physical constraints, is 4.4 million barrels per day (8 m³/s). Oil could begin entering the marketplace 13 days after a Presidential order. The Dept. of Energy says that it has about 59 days of import protection in the SPR. This, combined with private sector inventory protection, is estimated to equal 115 days of imports

The SPR was created following the 1973 energy crisis. The EPCA of December 22, 1975, made it policy for the U.S. to establish a reserve up to one billion barrels (159 million m³) of petroleum. A number of existing storage sites were acquired in 1977. Construction of the first surface facilities began in June 1977. On July 21, 1977, the first oil?approximately 412,000 barrels (66,000 m³) of Saudi Arabian light crude?was delivered to the SPR. Fill was suspended in FY 1995 to devote budget resources to refurbishing the SPR equipment and extending the life of the complex. The current SPR sites are expected to be usable until around 2025. Fill was resumed in 1999.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
term limits

get rid of dead wood. The career politician is only working to re-elect him/herself. Sure, they talk a good game about representing the taxpaying middle class but every year who gets screwed?
This would also de-network the present system of influence from lobbyists/special interest groups.

And don't worry, PursuitWA. Our beloved representatives periodically vote themselves pay raises, even without the taxpayer's approval.

and did you say "exogenous"?
pardon me while my brain explodes...lol

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
PURSUITWA wrote:
Scott, I believe tapping the reserves to lower prices would be a temporary help and would leave us very vulnerable should a real oil crisis develop eventually leading to even higher prices and shortages

wikipedia wrote:
[edit] Background
Access to the reserve is determined by the conditions written into the 1975 Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA), primarily to counter a severe supply interruption. The maximum removal rate, by physical constraints, is 4.4 million barrels per day (8 m³/s). Oil could begin entering the marketplace 13 days after a Presidential order. The Dept. of Energy says that it has about 59 days of import protection in the SPR. This, combined with private sector inventory protection, is estimated to equal 115 days of imports

The SPR was created following the 1973 energy crisis. The EPCA of December 22, 1975, made it policy for the U.S. to establish a reserve up to one billion barrels (159 million m³) of petroleum. A number of existing storage sites were acquired in 1977. Construction of the first surface facilities began in June 1977. On July 21, 1977, the first oil?approximately 412,000 barrels (66,000 m³) of Saudi Arabian light crude?was delivered to the SPR. Fill was suspended in FY 1995 to devote budget resources to refurbishing the SPR equipment and extending the life of the complex. The current SPR sites are expected to be usable until around 2025. Fill was resumed in 1999.

Sorry, I miscommunicated. I didn't mean the strategic oil reserves, I mean the reserves in the ground in places like ANWAR & off the coats of the US. My bad.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
here are some interesting stats for you...if you are not already aware.

Of the 535 members of the United States Congress.

(The same group that that have their hands on the governments money and crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line).

* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
* 7 have been arrested for fraud
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
* 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
* 3 have done time for assault
* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
* 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
* 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year...

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
The lobbysits and special interest groups run this country.

They squash all if not most alternate energy projects unless they can make money on them too,.

Like allowing broadwater to bring in even MORE imported fossil fuels like the natural gas reserves being built up in the sound aka broadwater etc.

Big oil lobbyists have us all in the stranglehold. let's face facts.

Yes Mike the 545 control it, but most of them are pre-destined to act on behalf of thier wishes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.