NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i received my cabella's order last week and there was an ad inside the box for amazoy zoysia grass. anyone here in the northeast try this stuff or heard of it working? the website is www.zoysiafarms.com/pi.html.

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
If you drive around and look at lawns some are still somewhat green and some almost look white. the white looking ones are zoysia brass in the spring they turn green winter/ fall it turns white.. its a very hardy grass very durable half my yard it actually zoysia thinking of getting the whole yard in it

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Zoysia

I have zoisia grass. It was there when I brought my house. It is a very tough and beautiful grass. I believe that it it actually a weed. It spreads over time. The only bad thing that I can say about it is that it yellows during the winter months, but is beautiful in spring and summer and fall. The only thing about the add that I dont agree with is how fast it grows. I cut mine once a week.

·
Registered
41,913 Posts
canyonfvr wrote:
If you drive around and look at lawns some are still somewhat green and some almost look white. the white looking ones are zoysia brass in the spring they turn green winter/ fall it turns white.. its a very hardy grass very durable half my yard it actually zoysia thinking of getting the whole yard in it

i dont think i ever saw white grass unless snow is on it

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
edvac wrote:
canyonfvr wrote:

Most golf courses have zoisia grass for their fairways..........pretty durable, but not for real high traffic use.:rolleyes:

I've never seen it turn white though it does get a bit lighter in color.

Attachments

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
edvac wrote:
canyonfvr wrote:

some almost look white of maybe a light light tan you know what im talking about
dont try to pull your ed games with me

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
ill take a pic of my zoysia grass and post it then you can see its almost white in the winter with no snow on it

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
JUST SAY NO TO ZOYzia grass

A few reasons you may not want it, then a few why you may.

Cons;
1-last to green up in the spring
2- first to go dormant ( turn from green to- white tan brown) whatever color everyone thinks it is when it's nit green.
3- Spreads everywhere, including cracks in drivways, sidewalks and into flower beds.
4- Is a very thick grass and much harder to mow than cool season grasses like blue & Rye.
5- very hard to get rid of if you decide you do not like it
6- Stops growing like it hit a brick wall when it reaches a shady part of your property.(it can not live in any shade).
7- It is actually classified as a weed, so if you treat your lawn with weed killer, at the least you will have a very unhealthy looking lawn.

Pro's:
1- you do not have to cut it weekly,it does not grow as tall as cool season grass. But if you don't mowing will be a B-atch the week after.
2- Since it is so thick, you will have very few weeds in the lawn

Please let ud know what you decide

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I agree with chevy. Stay away from that type of grass. The texture is like astro turf. It turns light beige in the winter, which makes your yard stick out. It spreads into shrub beds even if you cut an edge. When you plant the plugs, it takes a very long time to establish a lawn. The grass spreads in a circle pattern until if fills the yard.

The only pros to it is, that it needs minimal watering. It's very drought tolerant. The other is, that it requires only a bi-weekly mowing when other grasses require mowing weekly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I once owned a house that had full zoysa when I got there and these posts are very accurate regarding the negatives - you will have the best lawn around in july and august and never have a thin or bare spot - the stuff is amazing, but I couldnt immagine trying to establish a lawn from plugs - would take a long time during which a half grown in lawn would look silly.

It was so thick, I would rent a thatcher machine each fall to pull out the dead stuff and would have a ton of what looked like hay to bag up.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
It's much better suited in a warmer climate. It will stay green all year if the weather is warm. Up north, the lawns that looked dead in the winter are usually the ones with zoysia. Once temps climb over 70 it starts to green up again. It is slow to start up unless you buy it in sod form. It is a very invasive and will over run everything. If you are in a climate that gets cold, I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
I have to agree with Fish4Me, Chevy and Latty, stay away from that grass.

Like mentioned it will grow many places you don?t want it to. Up and over edging, into flower beds, and any other place you don?t want grass.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i figured with their promotion, it will cost me $50 to put the plugs in my backyard. there's only 1 small bed in the back and the sun hits the back from sunrise to sunset and it is very heavy traffic with everyone walking to the boat and the shed. i spend well over $50 on fertilizers and seeds each year, so i'll probably give this a try, at least in the back yard.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
KingKeith wrote:
i spend well over $50 on fertilizers and seeds each year, so i'll probably give this a try, at least in the back yard.
Huhh???.....I spend that on a bag of seed, (premium mix, not a blend)....:rolleyes: Then I spend that plus, on fertilizer. Times 5 applications a year. Not to mention the pelletized lime. That's usually 200lbs a year. Then there's the grub control (trichlorophon), and the fungicide (bayleton), and the moss control (potassium), and the insect control(diazinon), and the weed control (trimec).
:rolleyes:

Geez...What the heck am I doing. I'd love to have a lawn for $50 a year.....
Go for it if it suits your needs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.