NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys.. no foolin around here ok? (and yes im new to the area.. and this sounds like a dumb new guy Q but..) which of those two reservoirs are better for fishing.. hmm ok thjats vauge.. for lg mouth , sm. mouth, trout.. and whatever else the state has stocked there.. i guess im trying to decide whoch reservoir to put my boat on.. (those are the two closest to my home..) plus.. just thought id throw it out there... anyone here hunt? ducks, birds, deer turkey? in the westchester put counties? i know its heavily posted but just wondering about the possabilities...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Amawalk is a GREAT bass lake, but browns are very tough to come by, so the lake is pretty much useless until June. On the other hand, West Branch gets most of its water from upstate and hence runs colder than most of the other lakes. Result: not bad for lakers and browns, but a bummer for the bass. Other lakes in the system provide a better mix, but if bass are your preference stick with Amawalk. I should mention that they are talking about bringing Hudson water in due to the drought. Historically, they run it thru the West Branch, and it has the potential to screw up the fishing there. Good Luck.
ps. you might want to consider travel time---you don't mention where you're coming from and those lakes are pretty far apart.

·
Registered
192 Posts
West Branch, hands down...

West Branch also was fortunate enough to be the benifeciary of the DEPs (un)wise judgement to drain Boyds Corner. All of the walleye that where stocked in Boyds have ended up in West Branch. I put a boat on Boyds for the eyes and was only able to go once due to water levels. :(

Also smelt have made their way in from Rondout..

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really don't think much of Amawalk, since they lowered the water to work on the dam a few years back. The res. had a great year about six years ago and then it, like Cross River, really suffered from low water levels. All of these places are pretty darn close to each other, but if you want trout, I'd go to Croton Falls, hands down the best trout place. For largemouth bass you should try Muscoot or Titicus. For smallmouth, Croton Falls or Cross River. Failing any of those West Branch, though windy as ****, is definitely better than Amawalk, right now anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.