NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 14' Lund boat (A14).

I am in the process of outfitting the boat but I am concerned about how these items will affect the boat with regards to corrosion.
I want to install/mount some Scott rod holder bases, front nav light, rear nav light socket/base and a trnsducer to the transom.

I have read various opinions on the corrosion of aluminum, especially when fittings are installed.
What precautions do I need to take to prevent corrosion?
I puchased stainless steel bolts. Do I need to paint the bolts first? Can the aluminum make contact with any foreign metal?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Galvanic reaction

Stainless is good, but if you can get away with using aluminum bolts do, just be sure they are strong enough for the job. dont use brass.
I would suggest putting an isolator between ant metal on the bases that would contact the aluminun. I use 1/16" thick neoprene or atleast coat with Bitumastic.
Any thing going thru the hull I would stick with stainless steel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bases are plastic so that should be ok. Should I insulate the stainless steel bolt from touching the aluminum? I could use shrink wrap on the bolt and a platic washer on both ends. Would it help?

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Stainless can chew on many grades of aluminum, especially where it gets trapped. Wrapping the bolts can't hurt. Further, galvanized bolts get along famously w/ aluminums- the zinc fails before the aluminum, and when you see a trace of rust, it's time to change them.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aluminum boats

I have a Lund 16' Alaskan. I isolated the hull from any dissimilar metals and have had no galvanic corrosion to date. I used the plastic straw method along with plastic coffee cover tops(or any other flat plastic that is easily cut/shaped) to fit base of cleats, bits, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
For the transducer mount, have a small aluminum block welded on to the hull where you would mount the transducer, and then just use short aluminum, or stainless if need be, sheet metal screws to attach the transcducer to the mounting block.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Unless this boat is going to be stored permanently in the water don't worry about it. Use stainless, wire at will, worrying about corrosion is a waste of your time.

I've owned two 70's vintage rivoted aluminum starcrafts. Neither ever had a corrosion problem and both are littered with stainless fasteners, transducers, tapping screws, you name it.. I even replaced some rivots with stainless steel screw-bolts..

Aluminum can corrode and in odd situations, ie a large piece of stainless like a prop and an aluminum gearcase with added electrical problems, you can see extreme corrosion - however typically it's just not a consideration at all and it's even less of a consideration with marine grade aluminum.

Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.