NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright heres something to talk about while this winter couldnt be going any slower.

Alright lets here it What do you prefer for reels when it comes to offshore??

what brand do you think is the top leading brand in todays offshore life style?? Also what size reels do you guys prefer using for any where from fishing the canyons to the 20 line. from the night time bite, trolling the edge, or sharking.

Any body have any regreats in purchasing your offshore arsenal that you currently have????

i personally think that shimano is probally the top product on the market today i personally am thinking about switching all my big game reels to shimano. I currently have all internationals in my offshore spread and penn just isnt what it used to be.

lets here it

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
826 Posts
GOOD TOPIC BLAKE!!!

I used to use all penn myself.. and i still do.. but i switched a lot over to shimano and alutecnos.

I use penn 30w2, 50w2, and 80w2. I used these all for trolling from august thru the end of the season. They are pretty top notch and also very easy repair throughout the country wherever i go.

When fishing tournaments for white and tuna i tend to lower my gear.

I fish 15tlds and 25tld. I have the 15tlds on 6'6" and 7 foot trolling rods and also the 25tlds i have on bent buts for trolling whites with lighter leader and small lures.

If the occassional yellowfin comes into the spread it is alright because these reels handle it very very well!!! I love them!! I have even caught a few blues on the 25tlds and even the 15s!!!!

When i am chunking i tend to go towards the 30 internationls and i use 50w 2speed alutecnos for chunkin' also and set them very deep along with an 80 on a stand up bent but. This i just my preference but the short bent butt gives awesome leverage for some big swordys!!!

I have used the bigger tiagras and i love them also.. They are beautiful and smooth... But i just think that either way they you decide to go there is positives but hardly any negatives... The only negative reel which i do not know if they make anymore are the penn klg. I dont know if they make the 10 and the 15klg anymore but the side sticker plate was easily removed and opened all insides of reel to the bad eliments... I think that the tiagras are also the smoothest on the market just under alutecnos which are the smoothest reels made!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I like my Penn 70's i have them on Chaos rods with Jerry Brown 200lb with 130 top shots they work real nice. also have Penn 50tw's that i'm am going to put Jerry Brown 130lb with 100lb top shots on for the spring.
Just got a Avet 30 this year set it up with 130 JB and 100 lb top shot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 30WLRS tiagra is amazing. Hoping to get some this winter. I have 3 Penn 50 wides, and I do like them, but Penn is falling behind in quality to Shimano and other competitors as most have said. They were bought out by shakespeare, so that might explain their slipping quality control:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I have Penns, Everol's, Avets, Shimano tiagra and tritons, Alutechnos and Fin-nors. I would have to say the Alutechnos I am most happy with but can't say I'm not happy with anyone of them. With proper maint. they are all quality reels that hold up to our demands. One thing I did not like was the 50wlrs from shimano and probably the 50 wide Alutechnos, these reels are way to wide and become very uncomfortable to hold without a harness on a decent fish. With JB on almost all my reels now there is no need for a 50 wide anyway, 30's are a different story.

FishinAdiction, How many yards of 200JB do you get on the 70's? Those and my Everol 7.5/0's are my last reels in need of JB.

·
Registered
267 Posts
pen

if i were to vote i would vote pen,i do have one boss acurate that is spooled with a power pro that lander 200lb maco and medium bft ,but what about okuma i purchased 2 30gold but did not get a hookup on them ,maybe i just should sell them because they were not lucky ,lucky stuff stands higher on my trips

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Penn bailed they are now owned by Jarden K2 sports. That also purchased tons of other fishing companies along with Shakespeare, Ugly stick, Fluger,Xtools, etc.........and since the new owner ship they have mostly gone down hill from there.

·
Registered
798 Posts
FYI - Penn has been sold twice in the past few years. Production of International Reels are still in the USA!!

As for us, my family has owned Penn reels for over 25 years and have never lost a fish to reel failure (includes fish over 500# and several tourney wins). We switched all our Penns out for the new Penns last year (50sw to 50vsw and 80s to 70vs). No problems at all with a lot of nice fish and a nice ride with a Great White.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I to have lots of Penns new 16vsx - 50 vsw's with zero failure rate some are as old as about 15 canyon seasons on them with no more then basic take apart and cleaning them in the offseason.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Squeri Boy wrote:
FYI - Penn has been sold twice in the past few years. Production of International Reels are still in the USA!!

Buy an American assembled POS then
......the parts are mostly made in china now.

The Penn Internationals of old were bulletproof and good reels, but as already stated by many, just not the company they used to be.

Do yourself a favor and start switching your loyalties on your new purchases, IMHO.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and that of course opinions are like _ _ _- holes, but I still like taking shots at Penn whenever I can

This post edited by capndom 08:46 AM 01/08/2008

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
The 16vsx is an animal. I pruchased one last winter and caught probably 20 tuna on it this year without one problem, smooth drag and you can put tons of pressure on a fish with the right rod. I would love to own 6 of them for night time chunking.

·
Registered
149 Posts
reels & rods

I already have 2 Penn 50vsw's and am looking to expand my offshore arsenal since finally getting the boat, so this is a great topic to see again. (even if it has been beaten to death in the past)

tunaorlater:
What do you consider to be the right rod for the 16vsx? I've heard lots of good things about the 16vsx and a friend has one that loves it.

From what I've seen the rod isn't given much thought and most set ups aren't matched all that well, thereby extending the fight and wearing out the angler unnecessarily.

I like seeing what everyones opinions are.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Penn Internationals

I have a question for all the so called "Reel Experts" who are knocking the Internationals. I have alot and most people I fish with also fish Penns. I nor anyone I fish with have ever had any problems with the quality or any reel failures. What are you basing your comments on? Personal failures or just what you hear from other manufacturers and fellow "experts" that say Penn is no good.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I'm still sticking with penn. Mainly because that's what I have and I see no reason to change. All internationals are still made in the U.S. and they are just as good as ever.

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
I like Penn's there GOLD !!;););)

Don

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
makoexpress wrote:
I have a question for all the so called "Reel Experts" who are knocking the Internationals. I have alot and most people I fish with also fish Penns. I nor anyone I fish with have ever had any problems with the quality or any reel failures. What are you basing your comments on? Personal failures or just what you hear from other manufacturers and fellow "experts" that say Penn is no good.

I think this thread was about opinions, so I can't speak for everyone else. personally, I have a couple of Penns that were gifted to me(older 2 speed, circa 1980s) and I actually use them and love their performance. I hate most Penns otherwise, for my own reasons, and they are many and varied.

On the whole I have bad luck with many Penn reels in their line, not just offshore, except for the 1112,113,114 H series, which is indestructible in my mind. I also am good friends with the local reel repair guy, who has been working on Penns for over 20 years now. He comments all the time about how the reels are going downhill, and have been for a few years now. He uses excluesively the tiagra series himself, won't touch a Penn.

Every reel manufacturer has had failures, no matter what they claim, or how many loyal users expound their virtues and "trouble-free" use. I have had bad experiences with contacting Penn for service or maiontenance issues, whereas my dealings with Diawa, Shimano, and Avet have all been worlds better in not only the level of service I got, but how they made me feel during the process.

I sort of liken it to the age old truck and car debates about the best brands. Go with what you are comfortable with, can afford, and works for you, period.

I still say Penns suck.;)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
With all the patriotism being voiced I'm suprised nobody's pumping up avets. In my opinion their first bacth, the EX's kinda stunk but they really made up for it with the EX Pro models (the 30, 50 & TREX models). Although I don't put my gear through the same kind of day in-day-out abuse that some of you do I still feel I've tested the Avets against some pretty respectable fish and have nothing but positive things to report. Plus, like Newells they're still made by a small, family company here in the USA.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Flyfish, I have my 16vsx on a Super Seeker 40 to 60 lb 7 ft rod. It's a perfect match for the reel. I purchased it at Trophy Tackle, John has a few rods that will work well for this reel. The Super Seekers are expensive compared to others so you don't have to spend that kind of coin if you don't want to, I believe Seeker makes the same blank # in Black Steel and East Coast series.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.