NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Gents,
I'm interested in catching all of these species, now I know that they are'nt thick on the ground up there so could anyone point me in the right direction of some southern sites where I can get some info on catching these beasties? Dont know if paddlefish is the correct name but it's a bizarre looking creature with a long spoon shaped snout if that rings any bells, oh ,and also I believe it resides in the Missisipi network.
Any info gratefully recieved and any help I can give , no problem
Tight lines
Steve C

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
The Florida Everglades and its extensive network of canals are loaded with Alligator Gars. Many times people go crazsy because they think they are actual alligators when they swim on the surface. Unless you know someone who lives down there, you might want to hire a guide.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I went to Palm Beach 2 years ago to find the river in the backyard filled with 3 foot gars... I used rapalas (same size as you would use for bass up to the size you would use for blues) and caught a bunch on light tackle, it was a great experience. I heard live bait works better though.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
There are a few different kinds of gar. Most only get to be a few feet long. They have a very small snoot like mouth, will take a small lure and hit hard, but then give up pretty easily. They tend to be very slimey, most fishermen try to avoid catching them. The huge monster alligator gar are really scary looking and get up to 300 lbs. I have only seen a few in Florida ( smaller gar are everywhere ) and have never caught one of the big guys. The monsters do in fact look like alligators as they smim along, very prehistoric looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.