NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there is using
these rods. I hear they are designed for casting
distance. I'm looking to buy a 9'6 2pc 1-3oz
Medium Fast action and handles 15-30lbs line.
Will be using this rod only with lures!
Any info???

IBEW local 1049

· Registered
826 Posts
ibew---I have a few All Star customs. And I've had a chance to cast a few others that some friends have.

They make a 9'6" 2-piece blank--think it's model # 1145/2. Very fast rod, thin, whippy tip with a stiff butt. Not one of my favorite styles. But a lot of guys love it.

I have a 10' one piece built on their 1208 blank. That one's a winner. You could chop the butt about 6" to bring it in at 9'6" if you wanted. I'd say that's a rod that does 2-5 oz very well, so you should be able to drop down to 1 oz easily. The rod has a more medium taper than the 1145, it's not all "tip" when it bends. It has the balls to handle a fish in current. I've used it from the rocks at Moriches and I've had some decent fish there on it.

The other one I have is a 2-piece, blank number 1266/2. Sort of between the 1145 and the 1208 in the bend. Tippier than the 1208 but not as tippy as the other one. Good rod for slinging tin, and I'd rate it 7/8 to 2-1/2 oz in real world casting terms.

None of these rods would be good for working pencil poppers, IMO. But they'll do fine for other lures.

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!
If you say its a fast, whippy rod then maybe
this might be what I was looking for.
I ordered it. I should get it hopefully by the end of the week.
The Model No# is LDFS-96-2M
The blank to this rod is #BGSW1145/2
By any chance do you know the wieght of this rod?
Thanks again Mike P!

IBEW local 1049

· Registered
11 Posts
I have a breakaway rod and its works great. I use it for tins and plugs. If you want more distance and plan on using bait then you can go with the next size. The rods work very nice and dont run for so much. They are about that same price as a Loomis rod. I like my breakway more then my 9ft loomis.

· Registered
16 Posts
Heard they are no good. Made in Japan or something? Saw one in KB toys!
Always breaking and splintering on any fish over 5lbs. Total ripoff!Find someone on your block to give it to! Hope you paid less than $25?

Henry d^) (Tee-Hee!)

Stick'em good!
Henry

· Registered
826 Posts
All of its bend is in the tip. You won't be able to get the same back and forth whip that a soft, parabolic rod gives you, to give that side-to-side slashing movement to the pencil popper.

If you're going to be fishing pencils in a current, where the tide gives some movement to the lure, you can use a faster rod and bounce the tip to give the plug some side to side movement. But from the beach, where you have to do all the work yourself, you'll break your back trying to fish pencils on a stiff rod with a fast tip. There are times when even a soft graphite, like a Lami GSB 120 1L, wears on you. Lots of guys still like fiberglass or S-glass for their pencil rods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.