NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my set up:

Rod - 10' Daiwa Sea-Line X
Reel - Penn 704Z
Line - Stren 20# Easy Cast

What's the best weight lure for me to toss using this set up?

I generally use Bomber or Yo-Zuri swimming minnows around 1 oz., but I don't get "great" distance. However, they get pretty large at heavier weights.

Could I be using lures that are too light? What do most people out there toss?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I bought a similiar set up this year, replacing my 8 ft rod, I have found that most of my lures(5/8-1oz) are useless, unless fish are real close, ya gotta thow 1 1/2-3oz plugs to get some good distance

·
Registered
8 Posts
TRY USING 20 LDS FIRELINE CAST GREAT DISTANCE USE 1.5-2.O CASTMASTERS NO PROBLEM AND POPPERS 2.0 SIZE I LIKE SUPER STRIKE MYSELF. ALSO BUCKTAILS 1.5 WITH WHITE #50 IS ALWAYS A MUST THIS TIME OF YRAR. GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
300 Posts
My set-up,
St.croix 10ft
penn 6500
#15 ande mono or #15 trilene big game
Anything less than an 1oz I find doesnt cast very
far and wind up with wind knots etc...
What works best for me are lures 1 1/2 oz and up!
Fireline also can increase your casting distance.
I've tried 20lbs fireline it works but took it off I felt I needed something a little bit stronger Like 30lbs fireline, I'll get that next summer.
But #15 mono is good. Those lures you are using
and not getting very far are good for a light tackle set-up 1oz and less.
My light tackle set-up , 7ft uglystick intercoastal rod,20lbs firline, shimano symetre 4000 spinning reel.
So get some heavier lures you will notice a big
difference,Hey I've even tossed with 25lbs mono
with the heavier lures and still got out pretty far.When I was using the fireline I had one guy
ask me if I was trying to cast out to connecticut!
This is my 2nd season surfcasting and still have
much more to learn.hope this helps you out.

IBEW local 1049

·
Registered
728 Posts
2 3/8 super strike poppers and 2 and 3 oz pencil poppers in the daytime.
Forget those small swimmers ,the fish are feeding on the bunker right now .
That means blue metal lips ,the bigger the better

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hookt
It's not always the distance that you need to cast but the need to throw the plug/lure where the fish are located. Many fish maybe located within just a few yards of you.
I use a Penn 704Z with 30# powerpro on my custom 10' lamiglass gsb -120L that I built. I tape the reel to my rod rather than use a reel seat. My rod is rated for line up to 30# and lures up to about 3 oz. I use all sorts of plugs as light as 7/8 oz. bombers with much great success, bucktails 1.5 or 2 oz., poppers up to 2 3/8 oz. I never cast any plug with this rod over 3oz. You also need to know what you rod is weighted for. i.e. # of line and # of lures. When I use mono line I like the Berkley Big Game 20# white. I find that Ande line has too much memory and causes more line and tackle failures for me. (I use to fish Ande pink 20# for about 20 years until I tried the Berkley or the braided lines)
Again, It's not the distance everytime, but where you need to place the lure. However, using fireline or powerpro line will increase your casting range. Also practice your powercasting for further distance. See photo of recent 17 Lbs. bass I caught using a 7/8 oz. bomber tossing it only 30 yards.

Good Luck,
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 11-17-01 @ 8:59 PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.