NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow addicts,, i'm interested in getting into boating but, have no experience with it. can anyone give me some advice on what to look for in buying a used boat ,, and i mean used, boats i've been looking at are in the 21-23' range,, from 1988 down to 1981,, and in the 6,000 to 4,000 dollar range,, is it worth to hire a marine surveyor for something this old. i know that from one post all questions can't be answered , just need to know what immediate items that i need to consider. i know it's going to be a money pit, just want to try to avoid the tittanic ,, any tips suggestions will be greatly appreciated,, or if there's any marine mechanics out there that can come with me to look over a boat, i will be glad to pay for your time,, thanks, leo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beware!!! That's my advice, the market is loaded with many used water logged wooden framed boats out there in the model years you are looking at. Also beware of any outboard that old, many dealers will not even service motors of that age any longer...

If you are shopping used you would be better off looking at models made in the early to mid 90's

·
Registered
767 Posts
Smaller and newer

I've got to agree with Scout. After sad experience of my own, I would suggest you set a dollar limit, then look for a NEW boat and motor. If you're set on a used boat, look for a hull only and put a new motor on it. If you go the other way, you'll ikely wind up with a real money pit.
Paul

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tip,, i'm actually more interested in an i/o (used to be an auto mechanic) noticed that alot of gm blocks are used in this configuration,, so buying a rebuilt or a crate motor and dropping it in is no problem, just need to learn about the outdrive thing, i know that for sure the power end of the boat will have to be replaced,, i'm really concerned with the hull, is there a company that made a more reliable hull in the mid 80's what do you think about the bayliners made in the 80's

leo

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've owned a series of used boats in the range you are looking. I think used is a good way to go. My current used boat is an inboard (Tripp Angler). The yard where it was built told me they could get four times what I paid for it if I ever wanted to sell it -so I think that if you do your homework used is the way to go. www.yachtsurvey.com has many good articles. They are for larger boats, but will give you a good idea regarding brands and what to look for. In regards to your having been an auto mechanic, you should look at Shamrocks. You can learn a lot by going to www.fishtheclassic.com. They are straight inboards, so they are cheaper to repower and the engines tend to last longer than outboards. There are several models in the 20' to 26' length. And no outdrive to mess with. They make excellent fishing platforms, and are seaworthy, but will not be as fast as an outboard. They also won't use near as much fuel as an outboard. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.