NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

First of all I want to say that this is a great site and I find it to be very instructive and often humorous. I am hoping I can get some good advice in connection with my desire to buy a boat. I have wonderful memories of fishing with my parents as a kid on partyboats and want to create those same memories with my children. However, I would like the luxury and flexibility of my own boat to do much of the fishing.

I am looking for something, most likely used, under $50,000 and in the 25 to 30 foot range. I have no experience as a boat owner or really on boats period and would take all the coast guard courses, etc. before the purchase. I envision the primary use of the boat for inshore fishing?fluke, blues, etc. I believe a head is necessary to get my wife and kids on the boat so am probably looking at a cuddy cabin or a walkaround. Once I build up enough confidence, I would envision taking the boat a little further out, without the wife and kids, for some more serious fishing (maybe sharking, inshore tuna, mudhole trips). At some point I would like to get out to the canyons but realize that is no place for a newbie. I would like the boat to be fairly stable for drifting. Lastly, I would like the ****pit to be primarily focused around fishing but would like to provide some form of a seat or bench (possibly removable if that is possible)for just cruising.

I would appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thanks,

Nick

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the great advice. In response to most, safety gear is without question a must have and the recommendation for "renting" a captain ("cheap hooker") for a couple of days is a great idea. Are happy endings included??

I will be sure to post when I get something for some more tips and advice.

gverb
I saw that post as well. I may have had other experiences that would have put me on some list somewhere, but this is one I definitely do not want to appear on.

As with many of you, I also want to vent my frustration over the crappy weather. I was part of a tuna charter out of Shinne**** that was postponed several times and now we will have to wait until next year. Something I've always wanted to do but never done.

Thanks again

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frosty

Thanks for the response. I don't think I am ready to buy just yet. We just had a baby and I don't think bringing up buying a boat right now would be well received. Unless it has a cabin where I can stay for a while!! I also want to do more research. Thanks for the info though.

Nick

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks again for all the info--this is great!! There are too many of you to thank individually, so please don't take this group thank you the wrong way. If I were to do it otherwise, I'd hit that 1000-post milestone pretty quick.

Now can any of you offer advice on how to convince my wife that it is OK to buy a boat?? lol

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks again for all the advice. Although I am not looking to buy anything immediately, I could not help looking at some of the websites and fantasize (too easy, don't go there!!). I came across the following boat--I know it is towards the larger end, but the price is right. Any thoughts??

YEAR 1998 LENGTH FEET 26
MAKE Wellcraft HULL TYPE FIBERGLASS/COMPOSITE
MODEL 264 Coastal WA ENGINE TYPE TWIN OUTBOARD
PRICE $34,000.00 FUEL GAS
LOCATION Lanoka Harbor, NJ CATEGORY SPORT FISHERMAN
CALL TOLL FREE: (877) 579-2545

DESCRIPTION
1998 Wellcraft 264 Coastal WA, 26' 0' 1998 WELLCRAFT 264 COASTAL WA. POWERED BY TWIN EVINRUDE OCEAN PROS (FICHT) SERIES OUTBOARDS  150 HP EACH. LOADED WITH ELECTRONICS. INCLUDES A RATHEON 620-10 GPS / CP WITH NEW MEMORY CHIP, FURUNO 667-6 COLOR DEPTH FINDER, RIGGING STATION WITH A CUTTING BOARD, 85 QUART LIVEWELL WITH LIGHTING, 85 QUART BAIT KEEPER, TWO INSULATED FISH BOXES AND MORE AND MORE! THIS BOAT IS FULLY EQUIPPED FOR SOME OFFSHORE FISHING! LOADED WITH ELECTRONICS  EQUIPPED FOR OFFSHORE FISHING - CALL US  877-579-2545 GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS:  Length: 26  Beam: 8 - 6  Draft: 34  Bridge Clearance: 8 - 6  Engine: Twin Evinrude Ocean-Pros (FICHT), 150HP (Each), Gasoline  Cruising Speed: 30 Knots  Maximum Speed: 40 Knots  Fuel Capacity: 150 Gallons HULL & DECK FEATURES:  85 Quart Livewell with Lighting  85 Quart Bait Keeper  2 Insulated Fish Boxes  2 Aft Facing Jump Seats Over Livewell and Bait Keeper  Electronics Box  8 Rod Holders  4 On The Hardtop  Spreader Lights  Built-In Tackle Box  Raw Water Washdown  Swim Platform with Transom Door  Trim Tabs  Navigation Lights  Bow Pulpit  Fresh Water Transom Shower  Ladder  Rigging Station with Cutting Boards  2 Sinks in Transom CANVAS:  Full Winter Cover  Hard Top with New Front and Rear Curtains CABIN FEATURES:  V-Berth and Mid Cabin Berth  Sleeps 3  Galley with Counter Top  Ice Box  Alcohol Stove  VacuFlush Toilet with Holding Tank  Dinette Table  Overhead Lighting  Screen Door and Hatch Into Cabin  V-Berth Extension ****PIT & HELM FEATURES:  Raytheon 620-10 GPS/CP with New Memory Chip  Furuno 667 6 Color Depthfinder  New Transducer  AM / FM / CD Stereo  Standard Eclipse VHF Radio  Fuel, Water Pressure, RPM, Trim, and Alarm Light Gauges (2 of Each)  Cup Holders ENGINE ROOM:  2 Batteries  2 Bilge Pumps AIR CONDITIONING/HEATING: No GENERATOR: No OPTIONS:  Anchor and Lines Included  Coast Guard Pack TRAILER: No LOADED  VERY CLEAN  PROFESSIONALLY MAINTAINED

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
With the risk of sounding redundant, thank you all again for the advice. It seems that some of you are of the opinion that by posting the listing on the Wellcraft meant that I was ignoring the advice about a smaller boat. That is not the case--i just saw the listing and wanted to know what others thought of it. The info I got on the potential issues with the engines was exactly what I was looking for.

One question, though, is there a big difference between a 23' and say a 25' or 26' in terms of boating difficulty. I am concerned about the cabin size being way too small on a 23'.

I will certainly keep you all apprised as to the status of my boat search. Although after speaking with my wife over the weekend, I think the purchase may not take place until Spring 2007--we have a new baby at home and she wants her a little older before I leave her at home alone with the other two. lol

However, I did purchase Chapman's today.

Thanks again,

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts