NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,180 Posts
$0.02

I am a relatively new 1st time boat owner (3 years) and can relate to your questions. Without a doubt, something in the 21' class is the way to go for so many reasons. One thing that a new owner can't possibly conceive of are the costs involved vs. time aboard, and the bigger the boat, the more $$ you spend. Starting a bit smaller will help you get a better feel for the whole experience.

I would also recommend something used and not in 100% pristine condition cosmetically because there is the likelihood that you will be scuffing it up til you get the hang of docking. Remember, its pretty easy to dock under calm conditions, but pulling in and out of a slip or dock with a stiff breeze and good current can be challenging...especially if you have an audience.

As far as the type, I would say that is up to you, but any walkaround in the 21' class is going to have a tight cabin and be of little use for other than storage. I thought the porti-potti was a good idea until you realize you have to lift it out of that tight cabin to empty it. So you might want to find something that has more of a pilot house or close to stand up cabin.

A plus to getting a used boat is the re-sale/depreciation. From what I have seen, a decent used boat more than 5 years old will retain much of its value so you really won't lose all that much when selling it to upgrade once you get the hang of it.

PS: An acquaintance purchase a 34' as a 1st boat with no experience and does little more than sit on it because its simply too much boat. This person later expressed regret at getting the 34' because it kept them from boating as often as they wished.

· Registered
2,180 Posts
Get Bashed....deservedly

You know, it really steams me when somebody comes along and criticizes everybody else because they see things differently.

Whatever your opinion Makobob, you are far outweighed by members with the opposite opinion. Regardless, you are way out of line with your:

quote:

There is a lot of advice here, most of it bad.

statement. What you are offering is your OPINION as are the rest of us. Rather than insist you are right and everybody else is wrong, you might have tried to be a little less arrogant.

and I think I have to disagree with quote:
A thirty footer is a small boat, period.

OK...done venting...sheesh!

(This post edited by trafik on 10/28/2005)

· Registered
2,180 Posts
PursuitWA makes a good point about docking. I'd think that trailering a 26' on a regular basis will be a PITA, so that leaves a mooring or dock.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but remember K.I.S.S. The more little bells and whistles you have the more repairs you are going to have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts