NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go on a short vacation to the Keys, maybe 4 days 5 nights. I'm looking at airfares and even though money's a little tight, they're soooo cheap I can't resist.

There's been some good posts here from guys down there or guys just getting back but they've gone off my screen. So, can I get some advice please or instruction on how to pull up older posts? Here's my questions:

- Where to fly into on the Keys, I can fly out of either Hartford,CT or Manchester,NH

- It will be my wife and me. She likes the beach & sun & shops & good food. I'll be fishing days and we'll be looking for maybe some good music/clubs or something like that to do at night. We're not kids though, early 40's.

- I don't want to bring any gear so charters with decent gear.

- As this will be a short trip, don't really want to drive a long way to or from airport if possible.

- Was in Key West a few years ago and that was fun but I didn't get a chance to fish. That type of place would be nice as long as there's good fishing.

- We want to go in early March, just gotta make it through the F month.

Really appreciate any advice/recommendations anyone could give me. I'll post when I get back.

shebeen

·
Registered
384 Posts
Shebeen:

What kind of fishing do you want to do (back country, offshore, reef)? Do you want a private charter, split-charter or head boat?

I'm especially fond of Islamorada and all that it has to offer fisherman (I'm there three times a year). It is not, however, wife-friendly if she wants to shop and do the typical tourist things.

Unless you get a connecting flight to Key West, the only way to get to the Keys from any other international airport is by car (Miami, Ft.Lauderdale being the closests)(approx. an hour and half to Key Largo from Miami.)

You should decide where you want to go and how you want to fish soon. Charters fill quickly.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
While Islamorada is my favorite, if you want nightime activities, Key West may be the place. There is fantastic fishing out of Key West. Tarpon on the harbor, kings, dolphin and fantistic blackfin fishing within 1 hour. Flats fishing for the usual culprits is great also. There is an airport in Key West you can fly into.
Otherwise, Miami or FL airport, and in that case I would pick the upper keys ( Islamorada or even Largo ), the drive is not too bad, about 1 1/2 hours at most. I hear the Sailfish action is getting hot in upper keys right about now and should only get better over next two months.

Striper77

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Shebeen,

The only place that your wife will be happy is Key West. Every place else is limited to fishing and diving, with little nightlife or shopping. You can fly into Key West or drive there from Miami. The drive from Miami to Key West is about 3 hours, but quite beautiful, especially when you get south and west of Islamorada. There are many fishing opportunities in Key West from offshore to backcountry and the tarpon should just be starting to migrate in early March. As Mahi Mahi stated, you should start looking into getting a charter(s) ASAP or you may be disappointed. One thing you should know about March is that the wind can blow pretty good down there at that time of year. Good luck.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gents for the quick response......looks like I'll go to Key West and keep Islamorada in mind for maybe next year when it's just me and the boys.

I'd like to fish offshore but inshore/flats sounds like fun too, it won't really matter to me. Tarpon one day for sure!

Probably won't have enough dough for private charter, so I'll try to hook on to a split charter. Any Captains down there that you guys know? I'm listening when you tell me to hurry up, sounds like I should get this all together in the next few days. Thanks.....

shebeen

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just came back yesterday from four days sail fishing out of Ocean Reef in the Key Largo vicinity. Caught Sails everyday and Mahi bycatch for dinner.I agree with all the reports bur here is my two cents. Airfare and car rentals to Mia. and Ft. L are dirt cheap, accomidations in the Key Largo area are generally cheaper than Key West, close drive(Fla. Tpke to US-1 1hour yesterday morn) decent eats and bars a little sleazier but good people and good fishin If you need specific info on hotels, resteraunts, charters post back and i'll give you my e-mail

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue Ayes,
Now it looks like we'll be spending more time down there so a three hour drive to Key West doesn't seem too bad. Thanks for your info. and your offer.

Lots of good info. on that web that Steeve posted above.

Can anyone make recommendations for Key West on:

-Hotel?

-Charters?

-Restaurants?

Now it looks like mid to late March. Will I still get into sails?

Thanks

shebeen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try www.flakeys.com a good site. I fished there last april sail fishing was slow. Tarpon fishing was great. Try and stay off Duval street for restaurants most of the good ones are just a few blocks off. Try and charter boats NOT at the marinas in town just go a few miles north and you will find better prices and not the regular tourist traps. Good Luck, Lou

fishon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi FLA Keys Mini Vacation! I got a heads up call that you were looking to go to the FL Keys to go fishing! It just so happens that is what I do for a living!!! I put together deep sea fishing packages and have boats from Key Wesst to Naggs Head NC! If you want some advice on a great vacation...call me @ 1-800-817-0456. Thank you Phil for the heads up!! www.docksidenet.com
DocksideAnnie

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Try the Linda D., with Cpt Bill Wickers. 800-299-9798 they will fix you up with a split charter. 4th generation charter captain, knows his stuff. He is at the City Marina at Garrison Bight.
If you do decide on Islamorada I have a lot more names, but be sure to check with Mike Brumm on the Daybreaker behind World Wide Sportsman. Mike is a Montauk Captain who winters in Keys and will take real good care of you at a bargain price.

Striper77

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are going to Key West, try my buddy John on the Grayhound IV. I have been fishing with him for years. His mate and son-in law Jeff do a fantastic job and they always catch fish. They are out of Garrision Bight right off of Rt. 1 and leave around 11 am and are back for sunset.

Grouper, snapper, Laine, and an odd sport fish here and there are regular fare. The one good thing about this boat is that he does not come back emptyhanded.

Great crew and great boat for about $35.

Tight Lines - Rob

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
shebeen,

Go to the key right next to key west and find a road called shrimp road (use mapquest.com). You will pass a bunch of shrimp boats. There is a fish store on this road, where you can get Florida jumbo pink shrimp fresh off the boats retail. All the locals buy their seafood there and it is cheap. Find a microwave somewhere to nuke them and they will be the best shrimp you will ever eat.

Capt. Marc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.