NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anecdotal only

I had a guy at my marina who had the 2004 (not 100% sure on model year) 35 express and he was very happy with the performance of the boat. He commented that it was decently heavy, cut through the sea well and relatively dry for what he was going through. The boat looked great and seemed to raise alot of fish.. go diesel if there is an option.

Ryan

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah i second ptjude but i also have heard that they roll really hard!!!

Not sure about the brand new ones but i know back in the day the abemarles and the carolinas has a tendency to make big lofty rolls side to side and it was pretty harsh as a friend of mine once put it before he sold his off. He said fluke fishing he would have to tie everything down to the gunnels before he went anywhere because they would go back and forth!

Just make sure you test it and run in a circle for about 2 minutes and make a big whirlpool affect wake and then sit in the middle and let it rock you!

Take dramamine i heard it can get hairy! lol

But good luck with it man!

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
As far as I know, Albies, Henriques and CCs are all well-regarded offshore battlewagons. 35' would be plenty of boat to get you out to the canyons, if that's where you're headed

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
GREAT riding boat. Of course they rock on the drift due to the deep vee throughout. The hull doesnt "flatten out" much as it runs aft. Its a compromise...great in a sloppy sea but rock and roll on the drift. All in all a well built boat and a good looker too.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Boat specs..

PtJudeRI wrote:
The boat looked great and seemed to raise alot of fish.
Ryan

That's what I look for in a boat.
All of my boats look great and "raise a lot of fish". LOL. I have not figured out how some hulls do that though, I think maybe the manufacturers put a fish oil additive into the epoxy resin on some sportfish models.

How much more would someone spend on a boat that "raises a lot of fish"? When we sell boats, should we legally and morally disclose that our particular model does NOT raise fish?

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you are looking at the Carolina Classic 35 to buy, you should do yourself a favor and look carefully at the Henriques 35 express. It is a superior boat in every respect. The Carolina Classic is a day boat with barely enough refrigerator space for a ham sandwich & that's just the tip of the iceberg, try checking the oil when the engines are hot (if you have a bad back like me you're gonna have a hard time). The hull and fuel capacity on the CC are good, but one look at the Henriques and you will not look at the CC anymore. Don't forget to look at the wiring of both boats, and think about visibility from the helm when you stand at the wheel. Then go into the engine room & think about working on these engines, transmissions and shaft couplings. Look at the generator and battery installations, look at the interior layout, ****pit size, fish boxes. Now think about the rolling on the deep vee Carolina. Then check the prices & if you see that the resale on the Henriques is higher, that's a good sign. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
164 Posts
asiegel wrote:
IIt is a superior boat in every respect.

I have to disagree.

Unqestionably the Hen. is a good boat and nothing should be taken away from it.

The CC is packing some SERIOUS horsepower, does carry MORE fuel than the Hen., has well laid out accomodations, and is produced by a very respectably builder.

I agree, look at ALL of the competition, then decide.

Check out Cabo 32 & 35, Topaz 33, Albermarle 33 & 36 are all competitors among this class.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Uh, I guess I exagerated a bit
. Sorry but I just personally like the total package of the Henriques over the others. Maybe that's why I bought one myself (42 flybridge). Other neat ones to look are the Scopinich 36, Stolper 36, Calyber 35 and Jersey Devil 35 (not sure about the exact sizes of these). These are higher end boats, but they resell pretty low sometimes. I had a Blackfin 32 Combi & don't recommend it, but the Blackfin 33 Combi is very nice boat.

This post edited by asiegel 06:20 PM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was on the cc and 35 henriques . IMO the henriques was better suited for fishing. It had a bigger ****pit and the motors were easily accesable. But I fished on a 35 Cabo and although the Henriques had a biiger ****pit the Cabo had an unbelievable ride. The cabo's and the Henriques do hold their value, not sure about the cc. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those boats.

·
Registered
249 Posts
CC vs. Henriques

Well I would have to say that if I had to compare the Carolina Classic vs the Henriques, I too would go with the Henriques. I have a 38' Flybridge. I would agree with the fishability (140 sq. ft. ****pit) and the ease of maintenance ( I can get to the outboard side of my yanmars no problem and I'm 6') plus the boat just doesn't pound in seas the way the topaz and some of the deeper v's tend to...what can I say, I Love my Boat.

Ryan :) :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Im pretty sure the late model 31 replaced the 29. The 32 and 33 are pretty much the same boat. There was also an older blackfin 31 that was in the 70s.

Typically the 32/33 is the most common express and convert people assoiate with Blackfin tho. They are a deep V all the way back and on on par with bertram in that size class. Going up in size blackfin has had some growing pains it seems. The 36 has some complaints that its too short for her beam and real power hungry to get up on plane. This i think was resolved with the 38 which has very few complaints except for the cranked up detroits which is a problem in alot of boats in that size class.

searching blackfin boaters group will give u info and forums. Its good to find owners group or club forums when looking at boats because you get to read about all the little sht as well as the big stuff that u can expect. For example certain years have had some delamination issues , the 32 flybridge has an annoying trait with the water run off on the deck if its been repowered with lighters engines .. All in all tho for being in buisness 30+ years and carrying the 32/33 model line for 20+ you are getting a tried and true boat.

As for the Carolina classic/Albemarle/Cabo fad boats eeehhh Carolina classic would be the lesser of the 3 evils and built and designed the best. Albemarle is CHEAP with their glass and atleast older Cabos are slap happy AND cheap on glass.

Henriques ... what can ya say its built for canyon fishing. Are you buying new or used? what price range? there is a SEXY 36 bertram moppie for sale up here ... a Few 35 viking express boats a bakers dozen of 36/37 Topaz also in the Long Island area.

Light boats and modified Vs are fast but ride like crap, Deep Vs are heavy dumptrucks but shine in the slop. If you find a boat that doesnt have some short commings in one way or another... ur dreaming. I personally prefer heavy and a Deep V because when it comes down to it and your in the thick of some nasty nasty seas U want somthing under you thats going to get you home with your balls and your teeth still connected to your body :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.