NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of puting the B665hm with braid on my #30 setup. Single speed reel.

Amazing reel it seems, only 22oz. Holds 300 40lb mono, or 65/400 braid, w 50 75 mono backing.

Ultra light, and ultra expensive. Is this worth the money?

The freespool has a nice lockdown on it, meaning less breakoffs at the first hit.

Price for this reel is a little over $500 each.

I was going to put 4 30s class reels on the boat, and 2 50s. The 50s Accurate Add 50, two speed are out of my budget ..over $1000 each.

Any opinions out there?

·
Registered
483 Posts
For Trolling?

The Boss 665HXM has a 6:1 retrieve, not easy cranking against a heavy load. It has a superb smooth stopping power, but the drag cam is very steep. Think of the drag lever as more of an on/off switch. Remember that this reel was designed for Wahoo fishing, not Big Mo.

JMO, but I like the Trinidad TN20 better. Both are pricey but the Trini casts better, is lighter and generates an amazing amount of torque with the same 6:1 retrieve.

Want a great little, lightweight offshore reel for trolling/casting 30#? Go no further than the TLD-15. Most people never get to push this reel to it's limit, but it's capable of beating a 100# tuna. $139 at www.charkbait.com (no affiliation, yada, yada... just a happy customer).

Want more cranking power? Get a pair of TLD20II or TLD30II's for a bit more than the price of one 665HXM and you'll be ready for any fish under 150#, especially if you use spectra and a 50# topshot to increase your capacity. 2-speeds and you can just grind your fish in to the boat. I've used these TLDs for YFT to 90# with no sweat; they're the best value in offshore reels. BTW you can get them via the Web for around $260-290 duty and shipping free from Australia.

If you must have a so-cool, metal, single speed, leverdrag reel for 30#, check out the new Avet reel at www.charkbait.com starting at $280.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I've bought a lot of tackle from Charkbait and have been real happy. He has good deals and charges only what it costs him to ship(doesn't make money on shipping!0 In fact a bought some reels from him and he charged me about #15.00 shipping. The postage on the box stated $28.00+. He's more then fair. In fact on many reel specials he fills the reel with line (your choice free).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.