NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

I use the 6500 C4 reels and they serve me well. I buy power handles for them.

Capt John uses their reels on the Shinne**** Star. They take a beating and work.

I have seen several of their rods and they work fine.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
6 Posts
ABU GARCIA!

Hi there.

I have several Abu's and I love them all. I have two 5500, two 6500 and two 7000. I use them religiously in the bay and like them a whole lot for blues and striper. ( when I want a nice fight-lol!) My only advise is if you're going to use spectra on them be sure to put a real good mono backing first. The spools notch up something fierce. That's just from my experience. Good luck.

-Lori Vitti

P.S.- One more good bit of advise. If you have a model in mind you want, see if Wal- Mart carries it. They seem to have the best prices around- good ol' Wally World!!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Abu

Abu is one of the most inovative reel companies.The eon reel with the planitary gears is the toughest little reel i have ever seen!I got a chance to try one in Florida;I was amazed at the
size of the fish it could handle.They also just came out with a 7000 with lever drag.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have used the big game series for several years. They are big bucks, amazing products..but, they can break.

Mine do always.

I switched to the calcutta series this year, bought two 400/two 700..to replace my 6500 and 7000 big game reels.Just as an experiment.

There is a difference in price, and quality of all of their series. The big game 7500 is about $175 and the 6500 is around $130. You dont see them discounted ever, at least I have not...but if you find them cheaper please post.

My reels are used 3 to 5 times a week, from March to December, all oversized fish for high tech, undersized reels. The work well, but break often. One tidbit, the levelwind works fine..and does not break, it's the interior gears that get ripped.

Be careful, for abu garccia has re-labeled its line. The Big Game series, is the only offshore reel of the Abu Garcia family. The rest are stamped, manafactured products for the mass market. If you only use your reels in the bays, for light fish..ie small stripers, non keeper fluke, and sea bass, then save the money, otherwise only big game group, or as I am trying, the Shimano Calcutta group.

·
Registered
75 Posts
power handles

I just started using a 6500 C4. I like it so far -- smooth and light weight. The only thing I do not appreciate is the handle that came with it. I don't understand what it is designed for and I just can't get use to it. Can anyone tell me where to get a power handle for it and how much it would cost?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.