NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across one of these reels on eBay and was curious - so I called Abu Garcia to check it out. They are exactly what they say they are.

Last August, Abu Garcia came out with TWO limited edition reels to commemorate both FIREFIGHTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS. They are the 5600C4FD & the 5600C4PD and they are each limited to 911 pieces (a tribute to those murdered on September 11th).

This letter comes with the FD reel:
1st LIMITED EDITION
FIREFIGHTER EDITION
AMBASSADEUR 5600C4FD
In a collaborative effort, Abu Garcia's American & Swedish development teams have for the very first time designed and produced an Ambassadeur reel solely to commemorate and honor the Brave and Heroic Firefighters who serve or who have served our nation. This Ambassadeur 5600C4FD has been produced in Svangsta, Sweden in a limited edition of 911 pieces. It is constructed to the same stringent specifications and level of precision as all Ambassadeur reels built in this World Famous Swedish factory. This letter of Authenticity hereby certifies that this Firefighter Edition reel was designed and produced by Abu Garcia to honor these extrodinary individuals.

According to the gentleman I spoke to from Abu Garcia, there are about 150 of these left (the FD reels. Sorry, I didn't inquire about the PD reels). To me, these are collectors items for either firefighters or police officers who also call themselves fishermen (or fisherwomen??? Anglers, I guess...).

These reel are selling for twice what a regular 5600C4 sells for, about $175. There are two sellers that are the only distributors and they have them on eBay - either auction or buy-it-now. I have nothing to do with either of these guys. I am buying mine directly from the Abu Garcia guy that I spoke with, for less than they are on eBay. I see no reason why anyone else couldn't contact Abu Garcia just like I did, and save a few bucks.

The images below were hijacked from eBay.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple people have PMed me and had no problem ordering them directly through the Abu Garcia guy that I spoke with. The customer service number is on the Abu Garcia web site. My two FD reels should be arriving soon. Get 'em before they are gone!

·
Registered
871 Posts
"...These reel are selling for twice what a regular 5600C4 sells for, about $175. There are two sellers that are the only distributors and they have them on eBay - either auction or buy-it-now. I have nothing to do with either of these guys. I am buying mine directly from the Abu Garcia guy that I spoke with, for less than they are on eBay. I see no reason why anyone else couldn't contact Abu Garcia just like I did, and save a few bucks...."

Just curious about something. Are the e-bay sellers,or ABU Garcia for that matter donating a portion of the profits for these reels to any national Firefighter or Police organization for the widows and children of Firefighters and Police Officers?

Since there are only 911 of each one made,is it a marketing tool to use this oblique reference to 9/11 to help sell them by preying on the symmpathy of people to "Honor those murdered on 9/11"?

Or could it possibly be just a strategy of an international company, attempting to create a market for an item by limiting the distributors of that item?

Now,maybe the company has seen that they didn't sell like the hotcakes the way they thought they would, the distributors have not snatched up all the available stock, so they'll sell them direct to you so you can save a few bucks and they can pare down their inventory to improve their bottom line for the quarter. Kinda undermines the resale value of limited edition collectors item don't you think?

I wonder if there is going to be a Second Limited Edition Collectors edition of this collectable memorial item?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Togster2 wrote:
Just curious about something. Are the e-bay sellers,or ABU Garcia for that matter donating a portion of the profits for these reels to any national Firefighter or Police organization for the widows and children of Firefighters and Police Officers?

Since there are only 911 of each one made,is it a marketing tool to use this oblique reference to 9/11 to help sell them by preying on the symmpathy of people to "Honor those murdered on 9/11"?

Or could it possibly be just a strategy of an international company, attempting to create a market for an item by limiting the distributors of that item?

Now,maybe the company has seen that they didn't sell like the hotcakes the way they thought they would, the distributors have not snatched up all the available stock, so they'll sell them direct to you so you can save a few bucks and they can pare down their inventory to improve their bottom line for the quarter. Kinda undermines the resale value of limited edition collectors item don't you think?

I wonder if there is going to be a Second Limited Edition Collectors edition of this collectable memorial item?
Instead of wondering too much and hurting yourself, why don't you pick up a phone and call Abu Garcia and ask them.

The guy I spoke with, Joe, is the national sales manager for Pure Fishing, as well as a twenty year volunteer firefighter from Minnesota. This reel was his idea. He is distributing these reels through his firehouse. Most of the sales were in his home state, because they are selling the reels at chief's conventions and other fire & police related events. He donated & hand delivered one of the FD reels to the FDNY Fire Museum - #48 I believe is what he told me.

Do you really believe that a big company like Abu Garcia is going to make much of a profit selling 1,822 commemorative reels? Enough to effect their bottom line for the quarter? Sales revenue at $130/each is less than a quarter million. Even if they can get 75% profit (which I doubt), they are looking at profit of $175k. That might sound like alot of money to you, but it's not much to an international company like Abu Garcia.

I bought two of the FD reels from Joe. He asked what pound test line I use and he threw in four different packages of fishing line to defray the shipping costs of $12 - what a nice guy! Stren 100% Fluoro, Stren DuraTuf, Spiderwire Invisi-Braid, and Trilene XT. He was very excited that two of his reels were going to NYC firefighters. I promise you, this guy is not looking at the bottom line regarding these reels. He has a passion for fishing and for the fire service. That is it.

If you're still not satisfied, pick up a phone and call Abu Garcia. Tell them you want more information about the limited edition reels and you want to speak with Joe. They will give you his cell phone number becuase he is probably out ice fishing.

Take care,
Jim

This post edited by jimgleiss 10:11 AM 01/16/2008

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
HI Jimmy,

your right on, i have been talking to Joe for a while and he is a stand up guy, i purchased a bunch of these from him, for $130 a reel he only chagred me about half the actual shipping costs and included a few spools of line and a hat....great deal.

I have seen the ones on ebay and if you think they are expensive now....wait a few years
i have seen vintage 6000's new in the box sell upwards of $800

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well,I stopped wondering for fear of hurting myself:),and I called Abu Garcia, and I spoke to Joe. He was probably out ice fishing as you said. I asked him if any of the money from the sale of these reels was donated to any National Memorial for Police or Firefighters.His reply was.....

"No, but we could think about that "

I personally don't care whether or not a donation is made or not. I personally don't care if anybody gets a warm fuzzy feeling by purchasing a Limited Edition Memorial Reel for Firefighters,Police,Toll Collectors,Meter Readers,Doctors,Nurses,Teachers etc. It's a free country. You can do whatever you want,as long as it's legal.

All I said was that my curiousity was aroused by this topic,and I wondered (trying to avoid hurting myself in the process) if this was a heartfelt effort by a multinational corporation,to honor the fallen public servants in one of the countries they market their products in. Or a marketing idea to sell more of one of their products by creating a demand for it.

One of the rules of business,as I understand it is,if an idea is translated into a product that increases the bottom line, whether its by one dollar or 1 million dollars, it's a good thing to do.

So they go and take a product,tweak it to appeal to a specific segment of the population, polish it up with a refrence to the most despicable act ever perpertrated by mankind upon itself,limit the available sources (at least initially) for it, and see how it flies.

When the dust settles,and the bottom line is scrurtinized,the question is, did the demand for the first Limited Edition Memorial Reel increase or decrease the bottom line enough to manufacture a Second Limited Edition of this product?
If so,will the demand justify the same marketing strategy and pricing?
I don't know. I'm not educated enough to make those kinds of decisions. I do know one thing though......

In competitive sporting events, second place is the first loser.

The third reel will not be going to a third NYC Firefighter. After all, he is just a poor ex-civil servant on a pension :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Abu Garcia FD & PD reels

Hello,

My name is Joe and I am the one that created the reels and I signed up to Noreast to provide some insight and facts to Mr. Togster and to Thank those who now have FD/PD reels.

First let me Thank Mr. Togster for bringing up his concerns and hope I can address them in a manor that will be put his mind at ease.

I did indeed receive a call today from a gentlemen( I think it was the Togster) asking if proceeds were going to a particular cause and I stated just what he writes in the thread. The only problem with this is I didn't get to tell him the whole story as he either hung up abruptly or got cut off.

As Jim stated I do work for Abu and have for 20 years and also have been a volunteer Fire Fighter for Maple Lake Mn. Since Jan. 1988, along with my father and brother before me and now my nephew - Tog I can get you my Chiefs number to check this if you wish.
I was lucky enough to tour the Sweden Factory last year and came up with the idea of building a reel that tied in my passions and would leave a legacy for me when I depart.
The reel project is not an Abu company function as Myself and 2 other MLFD members have covered the nut for the reels ourselves and we either sink or swim with how we do.
Another fact is that we just started to sell the FD in Oct. and the PD arrived from Sweden on December 22. (Tog I can show you bill of receipt if you wish.)so this isn't any marketing ploy my company has dreamed up to sell a few reels. It is a vision of mine and I am running with it where ever I can. We limited distribution for the following reasons as well. There are only 1822 total and almost half were sold before they arrived. Also It is only available in 1 store as this is a personal friend of mine in Northern MN. as I didn't want to confuse our customer base that I normally deal with.
Also to answer on more thing about the thread in regards to proceeds.

First Mr. Togster, we need to get in the Black, Then once we are I plan to donate first to my own rural fire dept for equipment purchase,
second there will be $1,822 donated to the Pure Fishing Foundation to help my co- workers who have experienced hard ship ect. Next I was thinking the Leary foundation out your way but I don't know much about it and am not concerned until there is money to spend. Lastly,not to forget the PD folks, I want to tie in with a law enforcement agency and do a take a kid fishing clinic. Just so you know, I did donate several reels already and # 278 to the NYC Fire to curator Judy Jamison -I also made her the offer that if she wanted to do a silent auction I would donate all proceeds over my cost to them on any reels sold. She declined and said that she didnt figure many FF's fished in Manhattan. I have her number as well if you want to confirm
I hope this better helps you understand what this reel project is and what we are doing.
If you would like to discuss this in private my number is 612-669-0021
and I would be happy to answer your questions.

On a last friendly note - you said I was most likely ice fishing today - I was not but wished I was. Any time you want to come to Mn. you are invited but remember You picking on me about my fishing would be like me calling you a Sox fan. - then again - maybe you are.

Take care all and best of luck fishing this coming season to all on the site

Joe Rassat

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Togster2 wrote:
Well, I really don't want to argue with anyone about this. After all,it's done with good intentions. Who am I to try to fight windmills?

So, I'll say nothing more.Thanks Sancho!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.