NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the surf or big water type Ugly Stik. Everywhere I go saltwater fishing, I saw people used them. I checked out another forum and found strong opinions about the quality of an Ugly Stik. I got a 12'Ugly Casting Stik. I read people said this rod is too soft for bait fishing? Do you agree that all Ugly Stik are the same or no?

I do know the tip is softer than my Surf spinning rod that is shorter. How good are they for setting the hook on a Striper?

·
Registered
843 Posts
your ugly stik rod is a good pole .allyou have to do is just reel the fish will set the hook. you can use the no stretch like 30lbs. fireline,50 lbs power-pro.learn to use the pole each pole is a little diffence you have to learn the good points and bad.there is no one pole to do it all.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
May depend on the type of Ugly Stick you're using. They make a couple under that name.

I have an Ugly Stick Tiger Rod - medium action. I bait cast eels on the North Shore with it using a bait casting Shimono reel. Tosses nicely. Also use it as a boat rod for bass, bluefish, blackfish, fluke, seabass & flounder. Works well - even managed to get 2 or 3 blue sharks on it for a few seconds before they bit through the line.

Where it doesn't work well - is if you're bucktailing or working a jig hard. Tip is very wippy - not stiff enough. I have a much stiffer rod for that.

Again - depends on what Ugly you're using & how you're using it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got an Ugly Stik BigWater Casting.
model bwc110012
12'(2 piece)
Heavy action,
12-40lbs.
Lure 2-12oz.

I got this new rod recently and can not wait until the Blues or Schoolies come in to taste my hook. I tested it in a beach and it cast about 125 yards. I do notice the tip of all Ugly Stik, ones with the clear tip are softer. I bought it because I dont have much money.

Do you bought an Ugly Stik in the beginning when you started to fish? Did it break on you before? I read on a forum it did and saw how one broke.

I dont hate anyone who disagree so just give me your honest opinions. Thanks in advance for typing your reply(s).

Ciao. :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nothing wrong with Ugly Stik rods if that's all your budget allows you. That particular rod you have is popular with some of the guys I correspond with over the web in Texas, for fishing big baits from the beach for sharks. A lot of them get the blank and have it wrapped with better components, but it's the same basic blank. It's not the greatest caster, but most of those guys paddle their baits out in kayaks or run them out on a jet ski. For up here----you don't have to cast that far. You'll be able to get the bait where you need it just fine.

I would have started off with something in the 10-11 foot range, but since you already have the 12', might as well use it.

I wouldn't try throwing artificials on that rod, however---not for long, anyway.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think you will be very happy with the Ugly Stick. That doesn't mean you won't want something different after a few seasons, but for starters it is a great rod. Yes it's a little whippy, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Those who have the "finesse" down will want a stiffer rod for bucktails and hard baits, but for all around you will be happy. When I first started fishing I bought several Ugly Sticks of various sizes. Since then I have added more expensive rods, but none of the Uglies has ever needed a repair and I still use them all. From the fishing reports posted you may not have to wait long, sounds like the bass only got as far south as Babylon this year !

Striper77

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Bluefishmaster - no didn't start with the Ugly Stick. Actually started out 10 or 15 years ago with a Zebco spinning rod & eventually up-graded to an 8 foot St. Croix spinning rod. Now that's a great casting rod.

Needed a boat rod & wanted to try casting baits conventionally from shore. That's when I went to the Ugly Stick with a level wind bait casting reel. As I said - the Ugly I'm using is a Ugly Stick Tiger Rod baitcasting model @ 7 feet. Works well both from the beach & the boat - only downside is heavy jigging & bucktailing - too whippy. Othwise great rod for what I use it for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use an UGLY 9' with ACME and Hopkins,2 & 3oz.I like the action & think there great. My only compliant is that the rod tip is a little chinsey,and I put my own on,which sleeved over the tip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ugly sticks are good because their virtually indestructable. They are heavy and you can tire if you are casting plugs for any length of time.
I bought one when I started surf fishing and now I keep it on the roof rack as a backup. It saved a June montauk trip last summer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I own 6 surf rods. 2 custom made Lamiglas E-Glass 136-3M and two lamiglas GSB120-1L, GSB120-1M that I built. I also have two 11' Ugly Sticks. The ugly sticks are nice inexpensive and durable rods. They hold up well in heavy water conditions and handle big fish fairly well. They are however heavy and tiresome if you do a lot of plugging. They don't load as well as the Lami's, but they are a good entry level rod. I use the ugly sticks for night time bait-casting or as a loner rod to friends. If you plan on doing a lot of plugging and can afford a custom made rod, then that's the direction I would go. But remember it's not the rod that catches the fish it's the one who's reeling it in.:)

Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 1-16-02 @ 8:17 PM

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) Do you think this particular rod is too long? I wanted a shorter casting rod for less than $100 however, I cannot find one in any catalogs and bait shop for the price I paid for it. I was looking for a 10-11'6" casting rod. I guessed like you guys said before, you get what you pay for.

What are Ugly Stik made out of? I know the tip is fiberglass. How do one find a rod fit to ones body proportional in size? If I'm 7'1" or 5'10", does that mean I will casting farther with a different length rod?

The rods you guys mention are too expensive for me. I am a poor fisherman. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
A 12' rod is pretty big. I'm 5'7" and my Lamiglas 136-3M is 11'6" and I find this rod tiring for plugging. My 11' Ugly stick is also heavy and tiring for plugging. My plugging rod is a 10' Lamiglas graphite rod GSB 120-1L. Its lighter and a true pleasure to fish with. However if you fish primarily with bait then the Ugly stick that you have should be fine and should last you several years.
Good Luck
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for spending your time discussion and giving me your honest opinions. :)

I am comfortable using my 12' Ugly Stik. I'm taller than you, but your 11'+ rods are too much weight for plugging lures. My plugging rod is a 9'. I caught many Blues on it. I can fish all day with my 9' Spinning outfit.

Ugly Stiks maybe Ugly, but I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.