Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...

Has anyone caught abnormal looking

Stripe bass?

The past 2 years I have caught atleast

2 strange looking Stripers.

Deformed looking compared to what a striper is supposed to look like.

One looked liked a whale.

Big pushed out front head.

Another its top front lip was pushed in and its bottom lip was pushed out.

I took pictures of one fish but the it was to dark to see the fish.

Are these Hybrid stripe bass?

Has anyone out there caught different

looking Stripe Bass?

The first one was caught 2 years ago in

Northport by Lilco power Plant(Keyspan)

The second fish was caught in Riverhead.

Has anyone reeled in a wierd looking striper?
<If you remember or seen the movie by Capt. Ahab

the whale he harpooned it had a front end like that. I know there is a name for that whale but just cant recall it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ive caught a strange lokin bass a Lilco also. When its mouth was opened to the fullest it was the size of a quarter. And dont tell but I was in the back. And strange thing is yes I have a good picture and it was at night.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I caught a few stripers that are deformed. I am glad I didnt ate them. :)

I thought most of them back.
Last fall, I caught one that got the tail part deformed and the fish was 29" if straighten. I threw the fish back.

I have caught fish with parts missing like the eyes, one of the fins born without, an extra eye, an tail fin. No kidding here. I have caught a striper with that looked like a mixed with a perch. The bass's stripes were not straight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah That is the same type of looking striper I caught!!!
Well atleast I'm not the only one catching these wierd looking fish!
You should have seen the one that was complete opposite!

·
Registered
9 Posts
About 5 years ago I was bucktailing around Cold Sring Harbor area and caught a fish that looked similar to the photograph on this page. It wasn't though, infact, it was a keeper sized bass. But the damned thing look so ugly, I had to let it go. A year later a friend of mine fishing bunker chunks catches the same fish or one that looked exactly like it! I believe this condition due to a birth defect. Some people say it's from bass being caught in the props of boats during feeding blitzs' but I don't buy that one!

Tight Lines and a Little Drag
NORTHFORKWILLY

·
Registered
9 Posts
About 5 years ago I was bucktailing around Cold Sring Harbor area and caught a fish that looked similar to the photograph on this page. It wasn't though, infact, it was a keeper sized bass. But the damned thing look so ugly, I had to let it go. A year later a friend of mine fishing bunker chunks catches the same fish or one that looked exactly like it! I believe this condition due to a birth defect. Some people say it's from bass being caught in the props of boats during feeding blitzs' but I don't buy that one!

NORTHFORKWILLY

·
Registered
9 Posts
About 5 years ago I was bucktailing around Cold Sring Harbor area and caught a fish that looked similar to the photograph on this page. It wasn't a schoolie though, infact, it was a keeper sized bass. But the damned thing look so ugly, I had to let it go. A year later a friend of mine fishing bunker chunks catches the same fish or one that looked exactly like it! I believe this condition is due to a birth defect. I've heard some people say it's from bass being caught in the props of boats during feeding blitzs' but I don't buy that one!

NORTHFORKWILLY

·
Registered
9 Posts
About 5 years ago I was bucktailing around Cold Sring Harbor area and caught a fish that looked similar to the photograph on this page. It wasn't a schoolie though, infact, it was a keeper sized bass. But the damned thing look so ugly, I had to let it go. A year later a friend of mine fishing bunker chunks catches the same fish or one that looked exactly like it! I believe this condition due to a birth defect. Some people say it's from bass being caught in the props of boats during feeding blitzs' but I don't buy that one!

NORTHFORKWILLY

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't forget I'm surprised nobody mentioned it theres a Nuclear Power Plant on the otherside of the L.I. Sound. Try and take a guess at how many stripers hang around there for the winter? My guess would be a lot more than what stays at the Keyspan(Lilco)outflow. Why? Cause of the "constant" hot water outflow at the plant.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the bass in the picture...........

Got injured when younger, skull fracture, maybe from the rocks by a surfrat! he he he he , just kidding..
but if I had to bet I think it wasnt a birth defect.
Just a hunch..
Or maybe a rare strain of "Pug Nosed" bass?
Alan

·
Registered
641 Posts
pug

Soon after I caught it a guy with the DEC identified it from the picture as a "pug nose". It's apparently a relatively common genetic abnormality. A friend had a larger specimen on the South Fork last fall. Like people, sometimes fish are born a little different from the norm. No need to worry that some man made environmental problem is to blame.
The one I caught fought very well for its size. Seemed otherwise healthy. Here's another view.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
It's amazing he survived with the defect

guess your right if confirmed as a common birth defect.
He looks a little scary & funny at the same time, well at least he's still got his stripes.
He'll grow to be a record cow because everybody will always throw him back & other fish wont eat him!
LOL,
Alan

·
Registered
107 Posts
scary stripers

I have caught a few stripers near the mouth of the east river between the Throgs Neck and Whitestone bridges that were otherwise normal looking except for a strange white crusty coating that covered almost the whole top half of their length.It looked exactly like baby barnacles all over it but I am pretty sure it wasn't that.They were 4-5# and fought well but looked really hideous so I cut them loose,literally cut the line, wouldn't even touch them.This was in 1993,if I remember correctly,in the springtime.Any thoughts or comments about this? Tight lines to all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.