NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That must have been SOME great spot to not move the boat in a situation like this. Very scary. Not to single out this particular captain, maybe he had some issue that prevented his moving off quickly, how could I know, I wasn't on that boat. But I'd sure lose even more of what remains of my hair on a close encounter of this type.

We had a similar occurence last season to the West of 17 - minding our own bid'ness double anchored on a nice piece and a big containership was coming right at us. From what my subsequent investigation of the revelant charts revealed, he was well outside of the recognized shipping lane. Great, didn't much matter at the moment, and probably my heirs could have sorted that out later in court.

Anyway, due to the extreme haze, we didn't see him 'til he was approx a mile off, and he was coming fast. Scared the **** out of us - I sent one crewman up to the bow with the big serraded Dexter chunking knife with instructions to cut both anchors loose on my signal. Started the engine and was ready to go, and then less than a 1/4 mile off the big ship turned to his starboard, missing us by maybe 85 yds. Looked like the Empire State Building when he passed. Whewww.

These big boats ain't nothing to take lightly, especially since the shipping lanes are on BOTH sides of what we consider prime deep-water togging grounds off North Jersey. Gotta keep a keen watch. No fish is worth the kind of incident that very well could result from a "Close Encounter of the First Kind."

Pix credit goes to fellow Noreaster WXman61 - a good friend of mine that snapped them on a gorgeous last Friday.

Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 01:55 PM 12/31/2007

Attachments

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Definitely a bit close, but nothing unusual in the area.
Seen much closer and very often too.

Just take a trip west to the Bight when the fluke are running in Ambrose channel.
Every Tom, Dick and Harry is out there drifting in the CHANNEL with their B/S Lep Rigs, clueless to the world around them.
When a tanker or large ship does come through, they often expect the tanker change course because they were there first.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always seen/done/know better, closer, bigger, whatever.

"Seen much closer and very often too."

Couldn't have been much closer, or the next thing you would have seen would have been wreckage.

" Every Tom, Dick and Harry is out there drifting in the CHANNEL with their B/S Lep Rigs, clueless to the world around them.

Well if they were using the B/S rig, they must have been catching like crazy. No wonder they didn't want to move.

Why do you feel the need to include the linked shot at me, huh Jack?

Probably just because you're a nice guy, right?

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Leprechaun wrote:

Why do you feel the need to include the linked shot at me, huh Jack?

Probably just because you're a nice guy, right?

No....because he is an *-****
:rolleyes:

This post edited by Leprechaun 03:30 PM 12/31/2007

·
Registered
18,277 Posts

Lep, I don't think HJ took a swipe at you. :confused: I saw the pic and was thinking along the same lines as HJ. Close but no cigar. :)
He even said it's "definitely a bit close..." :confused:
I fish the Ambrose and I have to agree with HJ. Too many tools out there when the fluke stack up in the channel. In late summer, the tankers are blowing their horns like mad...one after the other, because some tool has to fish the spot between each tankers. :rolleyes: Every year I'm surprised no one gets run over...well, I guess it happened in 2007.
Also, don't forget, depending on the lens used for the shots, it can flatten things out and make it look like they are on top of each other also. :)

Anyway, don't let little thing get to you, and have a happy new year. Health and Joy to yours and don't ever get caught in a situation like those pics.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was out on the Hempstead Reef about 3 weeks ago and saw a huge fuel barge that was being pushed by a tug pass directly through the reef about 100 yards between two anchored boats. Not the first time I have seen this happen either. Always need to be on the lookout out there regardless of where you fish.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed - too bad it wasn't on the AB Reef.

It might've cleared some of those fish pots that cover most of the decent drops over there.

;)

Lep

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
MODERATOR OVERWRITE/EDIT:

Your objection to Slick56's appropriate descriptor of you has been noted and taken care of.

Do not push me further - even a little bit.

One more snotty little barb directed at me (even a very subtle one, as in that "Lep B/S Rig - Clueless" thing) will land you a nice fat F-Ban from this board. I want to start the New Year right, and ridding this board of you would make an excellent beginning.

I have no interest in allowing you to continue to display your lack of respect for me and what I bring to this board. You've been allowed to get away with it for years, mainly by taking advantage of my good-natured extreme tolerance and disinclination to ban anyone - even you, though I've had that ability for a good while - but it all stops right now, right here.

See - you can be the "First" there too . . . the first to earn a removal from this board.

Then you can go right ahead and put up threads intended to belittle me & the help I freely offer other members - wherever else you want, all you want.

Just not here.

Be smart and go play your little head games in the Lounge or wherever others think you're some kind of great asset to this site.

I no longer have any problem forcing you to satisfy your obvious Lepadiction from a safe distance - and as an IT&T Board observer only.

I have much bigger issues on my mind than dealing with your hurtful twaddle, so be warned.

Smarten up, get a new attitude for the new year and lets go forward with you as a member of this board - or not - its totally up to you.

Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 06:01 PM 12/31/2007

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I think if you are Billy40 or HungerJackass you deserve to get teh rules broken towards you once in a while. IT's the only way tehy can compete.

FWIW, I've seen VERY close encounters such as this in the REach channel, but the boats are not flying wide open like in the Ocean. Regardless, it is a very dangerous situation in which private boaters need to be aware of. I don't know who is right or who is wrong, and to be hones tI personally do not care - I know I do not want to be on a boat which gets swamped by a big ship, for ANY reason - my fault his fault, etc. Know where you're at and take precaution prior to leaving the dock to be prepared to handle yourself in te even t somethign goes awry.

I've been on a Party Boat when they took out a serrated knife as Lep had his buddy do when a ship passed really close, so it's not limited to private boats.

PS, this was pretty funny: "Well if they were using the B/S rig, they must have been catching like crazy. No wonder they didn't want to move."

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
HungryJack wrote:

Be smart and go play your little head games in the Lounge or wherever others think you're some kind of great asset to this site.

Lep

LMAO..........
, Lep.......Haven't you heard......that isn't possible at this time.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););)

Have a safe and Happy New Year Pete.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
HungryJack wrote:

Lep

Pete,
I don't think such a place exists, but if it does its certainly not in the lounge.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What happened?

He get hisself punched out of even that den of incredible tolerance?

No wonder . . .

Lep

·
Administrator
112,305 Posts
Leprechaun wrote:
What happened?

He get hisself punched out of even that den of incredible tolerance?

No wonder . . .

Lep

has been for months now even the Noreast misfits in the lounge couldnt take it any more

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Wow

Hatred for Jack must be a piker thing or something, you do realize that your getting pi$$ed at a screen and a keyboard, Remeber this "ARGUING ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE BEING IN THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS- EVEN IF YOU WIN YOUR STILL SPECIAL" give it a rest

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
" . . . you do realize that your getting pi$$ed at a screen and a keyboard . . ."

Nope, you're wrong.

I LOVE my screen and keyboard.

And don't even get me started on my tower . . . hot, man!

Happy New Year Googs.

Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 08:24 PM 12/31/2007

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.