NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey troops, i made the first blackfish trip of the year last week on my buddys boat. the weather was sort of nasty especially those 7 foot sweels!!! to make a long story short we fished around 17 and ab reef and caught a lot of skates and doggies,but no blackies!!! first time for the year and we get skunked, should of stayedhome that day.anyways boys, lets hear wut your favotite blackfish reel is out of curiosity.....trini

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
My favorite

I am sure that you are going to hear from the detractors, but I like a Progear 545. You can't just dump it in the corner of the garage when you are done fishing (needs some TLC), but it is smooth as silk, powerful, has a narrow width and a handle that is unmatched in the industry.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
805 Posts
I currently use Penn GTi's, 320 or 310 depending on depth and average fish size. Not a bad reel for the price and works well for toggin. I'm going for a lighter reel with my next rod, either a Newell or Shimano Triton.

My buddy has a Shimano Trinidad which is sweet, but toggin is not really the ideal application for that reel, IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
for fishing deeper water(over say 60'),nothing beats a DAIWA SG50H.it's a sturdy reliable high speed reel(5-1) gear ratio. gets those togs off the structure quick.i do most of my tog and seabass fishing in deep water,and after i tried my buddy's 50H,i ran out and bought one. runs about $115.00. it's also awesome for cod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Penn Narrow Jigmaster

I love my Jigmaster. No frills, no thrills, a little heavy, low maintenance, $55.00, add a power handle. Caught a lot of tog to 15lbs last year $4 drag washers and I'm all good to go this year. I actually use it on a 25-40lb Loomis Saltwater series and couldn't be happier with the combo.

Tough to beat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the input fellas... that progear is a really sweet reel, my buddy got one last year and i love it...the gti is a classic, i caught more tog on that than any other reel,ok i lied maybe the shimano triton 200 was a close second...anyways i talked my gal into getting me a reel for my b-day for blackfishing and i went with the one i had my eye on for a while, the shimano trinidad 12. itried it out last week on my buddys boat,but all that i got to tangle with were skates and doggies!!! i put it on my loomis 40-60 pound heavy/fast. i originally had a triton 200 on it and i didn't want to break that combo up cuz it was a great one, oh well!!! can't wait to catch some decent tog on it, or any at this point!!!! take it easy guys and best of luck...oh that squidder is a killer, its like the energizer bunny it just keeps on going and going andgoing... ; )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.