NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an avid salt water fisherman and know my way around the north shore of Long Island.
Recently (March "07") my inlaws purchased a cabin in the bear mtn. area of NY. with a lake on the property. This past summer I went and got a fresh water fishing permit and did'nt catch a thing.
I have never done any fresh water fishing before.
My Question is, how can i tell what kind of fish to target in this lake?
The lake is about 400 yards long and about 100 yards wide with a depth of about 25 feet in the middle.
I want to know if ther are any catfish, bass or anything worth fishing for.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
flatsflounder

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
Many ways to find out

#1- Is this lake a private lake? and has it ever been apublic lake?
Does it have a name? Call the DEC office in that region and see what they know about the lake.

#2- Do a google seach of tackle shops near that zip code and call them.

#3 If it does have a name, let me know, I will try to help you.

There are a few lakes that look beautiful upstate but can not support life, due to heavy polluting back in the 60's and 70's this I found out from a retired long time big wig in the DEC.

Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
flatsflounder wrote:
I am an avid salt water fisherman and know my way around the north shore of Long Island.
Recently (March "07") my inlaws purchased a cabin in the bear mtn. area of NY. with a lake on the property. This past summer I went and got a fresh water fishing permit and did'nt catch a thing.
I have never done any fresh water fishing before.
My Question is, how can i tell what kind of fish to target in this lake?
The lake is about 400 yards long and about 100 yards wide with a depth of about 25 feet in the middle.
I want to know if ther are any catfish, bass or anything worth fishing for.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
flatsflounder

That's not very deep, but there probably are carp in there somewhere. I'm not a big fan of eating them, but they can grow quite large and can put up a great fight.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
try using bait first[nitecrawlers,minnows].this spring look for spawning beds a long the shore if theres bass,sunnys you will see the beds.also ask a local.is this bearspring mt. or bear mt area??

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all

rac37 wrote:
try using bait first[nitecrawlers,minnows].this spring look for spawning beds a long the shore if theres bass,sunnys you will see the beds.also ask a local.is this bearspring mt. or bear mt area??

The lake is in an area called central valley.
It is part of Harriman state park. The lake is called Barnes lake.

There is definatly life in the lake. I've seen sunnys, snapper turtle's and a family of beavers that flood the lake by daming up the outflow.

If I use bait, should I try fishing the Bottom or on top with a bobber.

I've tried using lures ( Frogs near the lilly pads and spinner baits )

Well thanks to all who have responded and mabey I'll have better luck this spring.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
outflow

i'd start at that outflow on the bottom with nitecrawlers.inflows and outflows always hold feeding fish.also if you have a killie trap put some bread in drop it near the flows to see what kind of natural bait is in the lake.i never fished that area before,good luck

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
If you really want to learn whats in the lake

Use natural bait. That means Nightcrawlers and minnoes. Fish the crawlers without weight. Just cast them out and let them drift around. trust me you will find the fish and learn at what depth they are feeding at. Same goes for minnoes. Hook them either through the lips or just behind the dorsal fin and "gently" cast them out. If you are near feeding fish such as Perch,Crappies,Bass they will find your bait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.